NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 668 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Under the skin. (5/10)
I found it a strange movie. A movie for an afternoon with nothing to do and i just want to relax on the couch and fall a sleep.
Not much talk, it is more of the confusion from Scarletts character in our world.
If you want to see Scarlett Johansson nude in every which way, this is your movie.
And there is a role for Adam Pearson, an actor who has neurofibromatosis.
SHEIT I must locate this film it sounds like Oscar material

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
SHEIT I must locate this film it sounds like Oscar material

Oh jeez, I did a search for this and saw what it was. I started watching it several years back but it was too f'ing weird and dumb for me so I turned it off. Also I don't remember much nudity in it but I could be misremembering. Dangit my hopes were up too.

May 11, 2008
Oh jeez, I did a search for this and saw what it was. I started watching it several years back but it was too f'ing weird and dumb for me so I turned it off. Also I don't remember much nudity in it but I could be misremembering. Dangit my hopes were up too.

It is near the end that she goes fully nude. You might have missed it.

May 11, 2008
(78/10) The diabolical.
I liked the movie. The plot is not one i am unfamiliar with but i liked it how they presented it in the movie.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched, dubbed

Hours - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hours_(2013_film)

Not THE Hours, the meryl streep movie, but rather the 2013, $4M film.

A father is in a hospital, the mother dies in labour, and the baby needs to be kept in a ventilator for 2 days. Then hurricane Kathrina strikes, killing the power needed to run the ventilator.
The dad manages to find a hand-cranked generator, and must crank it every few minutes to keep his baby alive.

The idea is very basic but effective, there is just the right amount of character development, the lead does well, the pacing is good. For a budget of 1 pack of chips and 2 cans of coke, its a damn fine movie.

7/10 for effort.

May 11, 2008
(4/10) Annihilation
Started out good, but it looks like the script writes was fired in the end or that they really want to make a sequel...

May 11, 2008
(10/10) The bleeder (AKA Chuck) .
A movie about Chuck Wepner, A boxing legend on whos life the Rocky movie is based.
And who made it almost 15 rounds(With only 19 seconds to go) against Muhammad Ali.
Very good movie. Sometimes, i wanted to act like Al and stand up and..., talking about making stupid life changing decisions..
I am not going to tell more, but it is a good movie. Liev Schreiber did great.
And Naomi Watts looks to die for...
Ron Perlman as Al.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
woke in the middle of the night with some sort of food poisoning and proceeded to bing watch Barry.
excellent show. watched all 8 episodes. Great first seaon.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The Incredibles 2
8.5/10

Very well done for most of the movie. Very fun and script is well written except for the last 1/4 of the movie which gets very basic and formulaic. Jack Jack the baby is the star of the movie. Not perfect by any means but very fun and enjoyable and great for any age.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Transformers: The Last Knight (0/10)

Holy hanna was that a dumb movie. I didn't even pay for it (free on Prime...for a reason!) and I want my money back. What the crap. It was shot like a car commercial...new clips every 0.3 seconds. The whole movie reminded me of when you eat something weird before bed & have those crazy-vivid dreams where you kinda remember what's going on and everything is in sharp & clear focus but you can't really define the details. And I LIKE Michael Bay! (Bad Boys II, the first Transformers, etc.)

I will give them one point for the CGI (1/10), because not only was it absolutely amazing, but they actually made the robot faces easy to see (okay, so maybe 2/10). Excellent cinematography as well (let's settle on 3/10, because it was a very pretty movie to watch, but that's as high as I'm going!). Great job with the green-screening. The production values were amazing, as far as the picture goes. But man, when will Hollywood learn that without a good story, and a well-presented one at that, their movie is gonna stink? There were so many things wrong with the movie:

1. There was zero time allocated for impact. Even for small stuff, like when Optimus gets the magic stick in the underwater spaceship (yes, that sentence is part of the plot) & someone shoots at him, and he's all like, who dares challenge me? ...and then just kind of walks off. Like, he could have leaned down & done the whole T-rex scene from Jurassic Park with the kids in the SUV (the part with the lawyer in the outhouse) & just done a really cool super-menacing part, but nah. So many dropped balls.

2. Everything, absolutely everything, felt rushed. The editing, the story, the dialogue, everything. It starts out (post-Merlin sequence) with a young Latino girl who saves some kids. But no wait, now it's about Marky Mark. And hey, those same military guys! And this new UK girl, because we need a love interest. And Anthony Hopkins, because why not? And hey, we've been looking for Megatron forever, and here he is - wait, who cares, let's just move forward with the story.

3. The story was all over the map. I mean, there's a core focus, but the way they tell it is just out in left field, but there's like 15 left fields in this movie. At one point it felt like a ripoff of National Treasure. A lot of the movie reminded me of the classic Star Wars prequel meme - "let's try spinning, that's a good trick!" lol.

4. Soooo much gorgeous cinematography, set dressing, costumes, weapons, graphics, and it all just felt wasted. It couldn't figure out if it was a car movie or National Treasure or a military movie or what. It's like they just threw every idea they had in a blender with a thin plot to tie it all together & then got the guy who yells out auction items really fast to edit it.

Which is a shame, because the first Transformers movie was a lot of fun. The second one suffered as a result of the writer's strike, and the franchise never really regained it's balance. Unlike the Fast & the Furious, where the first one was loads of fun, the second one was way dumb without Vin Diesel, the third one didn't even have anyone in it, the fourth one brought him back, and they've steadily been getting better ever since. They've figured out a really good formula & have kept each new release fun & interesting, without ruining the magic they had with the first one.

But they make really bad decisions in a lot of the Transformers movies. Like in Age of Extinction, they killed off T.J. Miller in kind of a brutal way, right as you're warming up to him being the comic relief, and then put in Stanley Tucci. Now, I love Stanley Tucci, but you already sold us on Miller & then killed him off to make room for Tucci. Anyway, the upcoming Bumblebee trailer looks like it could recover the franchise, however, and word on the street is that if that one does well, they'll do an Optimus movie.

I think they could have gone in a lot of different directions with this movie. I think they could have done an entire spinoff movie where they drew out the whole Anthony Hopkins story, because Cogman was awesome & had brilliant CGI and the whole idea of having hidden stuff along the way & over time like Indiana Jones would have been way fun of an idea to explore. In fact, they really should have kind of extended out the whole King Arthur story & made the Last Knight more about, well, the Knights, and done some cool flashbacks & done some 007-esqe National Treasure-type of stuff with the modern-day characters. That actually would have been a really great movie, come to think of it.

But oh my gosh. The Last Knight was laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Reactions: ImpulsE69

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
"White Tiger", a Russian tank war movie. Dubbed but easy to follow. A hint of the philosophical, supernatural and outstanding tank battles. Great gritty photography and a good surround sound system will knock down your house.

Nov 29, 2006
"White Tiger", a Russian tank war movie. Dubbed but easy to follow. A hint of the philosophical, supernatural and outstanding tank battles. Great gritty photography and a good surround sound system will knock down your house.

Just watched the trailer. Doesnt look half bad, but i love a movie that will make my walls flex. Maybe ill give it a go :)

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Best battle is towards the end. Let me know if you can heat the metallic clink every time just before the Tigers gun fires. I got to listening for it ever shot.

Reactions: DigDog

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Just watched the trailer. Doesnt look half bad, but i love a movie that will make my walls flex. Maybe ill give it a go :)
Yeah I watched it too on Amazon Prime Video not too long ago. It was a tank-centric war movie, but like thebestMAX said there's some supernatural aspects to it as well. I thought it was decent actually, worth a watch. I'd probably give it 7/10.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The Incredibles 2 - 8.5/10

Solid all around movie. Standard Pixar slam dunk. Nothing glaring wrong and hits some damned funny notes throughout. Even gets you in the feels here and there. Jack Jack is a star in the making. The raccoon battle steals the show. I wish there would have been a better villain.

The only part I was disappointed in (and I use that word quite loosely here) is that Jack Jack really didn't do much. It seemed they were building him up to be the "hero" at the end and he really wasn't

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I keep forgetting about this thread. I can't even remember the movies I've seen recently. I'm . . . old. What time does the train come again?

Anyone, here's one that pissed me off and wasted my time, so it sticks in my brain pan like a tumor:

First Reformed: 5/10. It's most assuredly not trash. I just didn't much cotton to it, is all. It didn't earn its ending.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Ethan Hawke is an accomplished actor, and here is all grim and tortured and acting actorly. I want my money back. Oh, wait, I have movie pass so I can't even have that satisfaction. Plus, adding insult to injury, I had to pay for my buddy because it was his birthday at some previous date this month, and even though he had applied for a moviepass on my recommendation, he hadn't received his card yet and blithely assumed my local rep theater, the County Theater, had e-billing. Wrong!

Amanda Seyfried was surprisingly (to me) good in her role, and Cedric the Entertainer didn't ruin this film at all! But the real star turn was the guy who played Michael, Seyfriend's trouble husband, Phillip Ettinger. His deft portrayal of a deeply earnest, deeply troubled, but woefuly inarticulate guy mired in existential extremis stole the damn show for me. So it was no surprise when he
No, really, these pretzels are making me thirsty!

Look, I know you don't really like me, so go see this movie out of spite, just to prove my review wrong. You know you want to! :(

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
oh man you're wrong on first reformed. I would have thought you would have liked it
No, no, no . . . You're wrong on my being wrong, you cinematic slut! Which, if you follow my ironclad logic, makes me RIGHT! :p

Did you at least like my spoilers? :rolleyes:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
(4/10) Annihilation
Started out good, but it looks like the script writes was fired in the end or that they really want to make a sequel...

I gave it a little higher rating but not much it was pretty slow imo. But other folks say you need to watch it a couple times to "get it." I've watched a few movies like that so when it becomes cable free I will check it out again.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain 8/10

Haven't rewatched this since the release. It is still fun as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.