NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 623 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
i watched again (saw it when it released) Up In The Air - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193138/reference

7.5/10

Huh. It's been a while since I saw it, but I thought it was much more about the screwball road relationship than his job. The job was almost like a running joke through the film (that got rather stale). A guy whose job is to travel around firing others so that somebody else doesn't have to do it. Or, at least, that's how I remember it. It's really a chick flick more than anything else.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Longmire - 9/10 - great characters and story line. Well done and great acting.
Netflix 6 seasons 63 episodes.

Reactions: Charmonium

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Victoria & Abdul - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5816682/reference

with the formidable Lady Judi Dench in the role of HRH Queen Victoria. Ali Fazal (who was in Fast 7 and in the pretty decent Three Idiots)plays the titular Adbul, and Eddie Izzard who should never again be allowed to act in a film plays Edward VII. Adeel Akhtar plays Muhammed, Abdul's victorian-era tinfoil-hatted friend.

Queen Victoria is in her later years; stately life bores her, and when young and dashing Abdul is sent to England to present her with a cerimonial token, she is smitten by his looks and manners, and they become close friends. The Queen's friendship with this servant, Indian, Muslim, does not go down well in the royal household.

Based on the true life real friendship between these two characters, the key to the film is Dench's amazing performance as the Queen. Fazal does not impress, mostly due to the limited role. Izzard is horrid, the various supporting characters are quite good, the sets and historical recreation are good, but limited.
A pleasant film that is easy to watch, good, but not spectacular.

7/10

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Disaster Artist 8.5/10
If you've seen The Room, you'll laugh a lot more.

Definitely watch The Room. :D

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so, i watched Dunkirk - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Human_Feces_(cropped).jpg

this must be one of the worst films i have ever watched. i'm not joking.

let's look at the why and how. the first, most common critique is that the film has no story. in cinematography, the dunkirk evacuation would be considered the backdrop of the story, *not* the story itself. if you want to do something like that, you put some voiceover on your film and you call it a documentary. Seeing a bunch of people pretending to drown does not make this a film, watching people sitting or standing on a boat is not interesting. I KNOW what a boat looks like, if i have to watch something without any explanation, i'd rather watch some weird animal i have never seen, than some mundane object with some nondescript people on it doing nothing.

the soundtrack. oh man. the soundtrack is by far the worst soundtrack i have ever heard, no hyperbole, i genuinely think dunkirk had the worst soundtrack ever added to a film. the constant pounding pulse, randomly accelerating as if to mean that something is about to happen, and then just dying down when nothing happens. was this supposed to make me feel uneasy? sure, listening to a constant, overly-loud, barely rhythmic bass made me think several times "what the fuck is this sound". in NO way this connected me to the action onscreen. it is way too loud, and it's desperately dull and boring.

there is no dialogue. dialogue is where two characters express the nature of their character, they diversity or similarities, the relationship between those two characters, in the dialogue. words like "has the ship arrived? not yet" do not constitute dialogue, unless you tell me why character A wants to know if the ship has arrived and what are the implications of the answer. We already know they are evacuating, we know in a way that they are allegedly in danger, even though the danger is never seen, if not in the very first seconds of the film.
Mind you, i know full well that dialogue does not have to be verbal, so i will take that the nod the yacht captain gives to his older son qualifies, and so does the last speech in the film (thank you Mr Churchill) but what about everything else? The other sections with words are when the french kid is found out, which just sums up to "we are angry with this kid" .. and that's it. Some minor stuff with the shellshocked soldier.

The production is big and expensive and just so poorly used. The one feeble attempt at filmmaking is when the messerschit falls conveniently on the oil patch to ignite it, which is obviously announced earlier "oh look a flammable oil slick that must somehow be lit on fire for dramatic effect". Nolan has somehow managed to make even dogfights boring; even Baa Baa Black Sheep has better air combat than this film.

Dunkirk is the worst film i have seen in many years. It fails completely in the very basic aspects of filmmaking, explaining characters, creating connection with the viewer, exposition, story, emotions, character arcs. In just not a film, and the horrid soundtrack makes sitting through it a pain rather than a pleasure. I was genuinely pissed off at the last scene "we shall fight them on the beeches" because they had to rip off Winston Churchill and otherwise could not come up with a decent original piece of writing - and this film's implication that we are somehow feeling a sense of victory together with the characters onscreen.

my vote: 4/10 - almost as bad as the prequels.

i also want to say something about Tom Hardy; was it really necessary to pay THIS actor to do NO acting in the whole film? Anyone else, i mean *anyone* could have played his part, professional actor or not, AND for some reason in his final scene, he runs out of fuel and lands on the dunkirk beach, MAYBE a mile down the road, but he is immediately captured by the germans? He couldn't run for 3 minutes, to the army who could have taken him home?
It makes sense to have the german army inside the town, where they can fight building to building, but not on a beach where there is nothing to prevent you from being shot by, you know, the three-hundred-thousand soldiers with guns waiting there.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I'm 2 episodes in (and you can turn the dubbing off, I was surprised that it was on by default). It's good so far, better than stranger things

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Jinx 9/10.I watched this again with my gf.A psychopath with lots of money,a scary thing.Bastard.
Yes. There will never be anything like this again. It's incredible what was happening in real life as a result of the new details exposed in the documentary...happening as the finale aired.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Awesome, glad you liked it E. Colman is SOOOO much better. The interaction between the two of them is great.

I will check out Endeavour, thanks. We are in-between shows right now, so need something new to watch.

KT
I just finished Season 3 of Broadchurch on Netflix. May be better than the first two seasons. 8.5/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
There is a little overlap of a few of the characters and story-lines from season1 and 2, as side stories.
David Tennant and Olivia Colman have this great chemistry between them.
Sad to hear that this series has come to an end.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Longmire - 9/10 - great characters and story line. Well done and great acting.
Netflix 6 seasons 63 episodes.
I'm sorry to see the show end. The denouement was kind of cheesy but still satisfying on some level. This is one of those shows that moves slowly and deliberately but is still engaging due in no small part to the quality of the acting. You really become involved in the story. I can't think of a single minor annoyance that forced me to step back from the story and go wtf? I guess that's a pretty low bar to set but it's such a pleasant change from Marvel/DC stuff I've been watching lately.

The Crown, season 2 on Netflix. 9/10

If you like Longmire, this is a show to check out. It's a completely different kind of story but it has the same sort of slow, deliberate development that I appreciated about Longmire. And the acting is just stellar. I'm biased since I love historical dramas but I really think this show can appeal to just about anyone.

Reactions: MtnMan

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Kidnap - 6/10 - it's entertaining and pretty much non-stop edge of your seat stuff, but it's just kinda dumb and a lot of stuff you are like 'uh why did/didnt they just do this already?' but it was entertaining for 90 minutes or so. Definitely forgettable and the acting was very meh.

Wind River - 9/10 - didn't know anything about this really other than a friend recommended it and I really liked it. I like how they slowly reveal what happened to you instead of just putting it in your face as far as Rener's character goes. The casting in this movie is phenomenal too. Some of the relatives look like they are actually relatives in real life. Just very well done all around and I liked how it ended.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm sorry to see the show end. The denouement was kind of cheesy but still satisfying on some level. This is one of those shows that moves slowly and deliberately but is still engaging due in no small part to the quality of the acting. You really become involved in the story. I can't think of a single minor annoyance that forced me to step back from the story and go wtf? I guess that's a pretty low bar to set but it's such a pleasant change from Marvel/DC stuff I've been watching lately.

The Crown, season 2 on Netflix. 9/10

If you like Longmire, this is a show to check out. It's a completely different kind of story but it has the same sort of slow, deliberate development that I appreciated about Longmire. And the acting is just stellar. I'm biased since I love historical dramas but I really think this show can appeal to just about anyone.
We have The Crown on our watch list. The wife is really into shows about British Royalty, and while I normally don't follow some of the stuff she watches, I got hooked during season 1.

Reactions: Charmonium

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Rocky 3: 9/10

That Mr. T was one tough cookie. They don't block much in Rocky movies. And, when Mickey died. OMG. So sad.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Farthest 10/10 awesome.
you know, you can't just say "THIZ FILMZ TEN/TEN" and then not write anything else.

161. The Sixth Sense

good film, but, i can't really give an honest rating, as i didn't see it on release, and when i did see it i had the ending already spoiled for me.

no rating

162. Fargo

at one point, i held this film in really high esteem, due to the convulted plot, the absurd characters, the fantastic cinematography and casting, all in all a little masterpiece. But over the years, i've come to regard it as a "little" masterpiece.
It's still a film i would recommend to many, but if i have to go for a Cohen Brothers film, i have no doubt my first choice would be Oh Brother, and not Fargo.

my vote.. hmmm.. probably an 8/10

163. No Country For Old Men

i .. did not like this as much as other people have.
i thought the main character (the killer) to be a cool character, but Javier Bardem, the guy who plays him .. is just creepy. And not in a good way. Brolin is very good as always, i think this was the first film where he learned to tone it down.
But .. i mean, the film starts in the middle and ends in the middle. I couldn't tell you if there's a story.

To me it just that Cohen weirdness, which is ok to watch, but i wouldn't recommend it to people who don't do Cohen stuff otherwise.

eh .. 7/10

164. THE THING !!!!

let's just say, 9/10

165. Andrey Rublev

uh ?

no vote

Status
Not open for further replies.