NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 617 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
let me google that.

yup, The Third Man.

I get that some aspects of its filmography were revolutionary for the time bein, but now that all that has gone into "the public domain", so to speak, all you have left is a rather slow, predictable, mediocre spy film.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
81. Like Stars On Earth
did not watch.

82. Your Name
not watched, and i do not watch modern anime. it's all the same garbage and it gets votes for being that kind of garbage.

83. A Clockwork Orange

i won't lie, this is a seminal film. It's an absurd, illogical, drug-fueled film that everyone should watch .. once. or twice. or maybe a few more times, and then watch the youtube video of the record shop / wilhelm tell scene. But no more.
The main appeal of the film is how it manages to make sense despite changing from one theme to another. It's weird, but it's weird in a way that makes sense. But once you know what's going to happen, you miss out on that wild ride experience.
8.5/10

84. (lol) Lawrence Of Arabia AKA The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom
Seriously, don't even ask me what my vote is. You should know.
10/10

85. Double Indemnity
did not watch. i'm wondering how far down the line i have to go to find Some Like It Hot.

86. Amadeus
Old Salieri creeps me out and the makeup is really bad, he clearly looks like a guy in a mask. And it doesn't convey the message properly, although his reflections on how he ruined Mozart are the framing device of the entire film. still, an amazing film.
The cut on that scene with the aria of the queen of the night is alone worth the vote.
9/10

87. Eternal Sunshine Of The Exceedingly Long Title
watching Jim carrey hurts my brain. I am convinced he will commit suicide one day, and you heard it here first.

88. Taxi Driver
this was a great film in its time, and it's the earliest "indie" film i can think of; it doesn't care about being a finished product, it just taken an awesome acting performance, and gives it a barebones frame to present it.
I also cannot judge Jodie Foster because she gave me a massive boner when i first saw the film (it's ok, i was 17yo).
I think the biggest fault with taxi driver is, that in the end, it's a hero story. Travis is a white knight who saves his princess from the windmills. This tragic and very misguided individual finds salvation more through chance than through honest labour.
Still, a culturally significant film. But when you *do* decide what the vote should be, imagine cutting out Foster's part and replacing it with something other than a "forbidden fruit". Foster's age and character, i have no doubt, must have been titillating to the audience, who then sees their own perversion reflected in the film - and Travis is the one who saves both the character, and the viewer.

probably 9/10

Sep 29, 2004
Google/YouTube is claiming that I can rent Blade of the immortal on their service for $6.

At work, I'll check later.

I'd see it in a small art cinema if I could. I almost saw Loving Vincent but decided against it since I was on a third date. I'll rent that one eventually. Could be an awesome 4K blu ray rental if hey go 4k ;-)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Aftermath - 8/10 - didn't know much about this other than Arnold was in it. Nothing else was at Redbox so I grabbed it. It was a very touching movie and a bit depressing. It was well done though and I would recommend it.

The Hunters Prayer - 6/10 or 7/10 - random movie that we found on Netflix with Sam Worthington. He's a hitman hired to kill a girl but ends up protecting her as others come after her. It's a pretty generic movie but it was enjoyable for 90 minutes. Pretty forgettable though.

I started watching Breaking Bad again last night with my wife because she's never seen it. I'm glad she likes it 2 episodes in so it's going to be interesting watching the season again 4 or 5 years since it finished.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Does "The Fall of American Greatness and Relevance" count as a TV show? I've been watching it and reading about it daily, through various sources and across several networks, for about 2 years straight now. It pretty much captures the entire range of emotions, and is brilliantly cast. Terrifyingly authentic, too.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well, i mean, i wouldn't want you to risk you life by posting here a link to a legitimate product.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Murder on the Orient Express: 5/10 -- Boring. I thought it was boring. YMMV. The trailer clips intrigued me. And it had a star-studded cast of seasoned professionals. So, I thought it would be a fun-filled series of bravura turns, exquisitely rendered. Maybe it was. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood.

I hated the ending.

I subsequently discovered it was true to the book, which I'd never read. Nor have I seen any prior productions.

Here's the thing, it's a whodunit. You know the drill. The author tries to convince you that subject after subject is the perp, so that, hopefully, by the end, you desperately want to know which focker really did it.

So, I hated the ending.

. . . Which was a perhaps perfect end note to what I thought was the tedious, creaky characterization and plot that preceded it. Maybe it all worked better in print in 1934, when it was published. Or maybe the ending just put me in a bad mood. Anyway, on the screen, for me, it felt lugubrious and uninspired.

Look, the woman I went with loved it, and the two friends I discussed it with the next day pretty much did, too.

I'll give it this, the train sets were sumptuous, and the cinematography was gorgeous, especially the aerial shots of the train in the mountains in the snow.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, I need to cleanse my palate. Got Showtime? Watch White Famous -- 9.5/10.

Seriously. All you folks who think I'm a pompous geezer with pseudo-elitist "taste" who should simply crawl over to some unused corner of the internet and die? I firmly believe you'll love White Famous just as much as I do. It's kind of like a far more deft version of Entourage.

Jay Pharoah is a fiercely phenomenal talent. I have he feeling that if any one of us ever got into a real life verbal battle with him, we'd all end up pantsless and crying. The mere thought makes my dick shrivel.

As further proof of its greatness I present to you the first sentence of a one star review that is currently the featured review on IMDB. It's possibly one of the worst opening lines I've ever read. ;)

"This was possible one of the worse things i have ever seen."

Reactions: slayer202

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
83. A Clockwork Orange
i won't lie, this is a seminal film.8.5/10
84. (lol) Lawrence Of Arabia 10/10
86. Amadeus
87. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
88. Taxi Driver 9/10
A Clockwork Orange was a major novel. The movie should be regarded in that context.

Lawrence of Arabia was a major film and should probably be watched in Blu-ray on a great HT system or better yet in a movie theater that can do it justice (70mm)

Amadeus still bothers me. It's largely fiction, Salieri was no villain and Mozart no child. It does celebrate Mozart's music, particularly opera. But I think it was wrong to fictionalize a historical character. It's often done but I don't like it.

Eternal Sunshine is a great movie.

I like the hero arch in Taxi Driver. Travis was on a mission to define himself, for himself. He was never clear in his mind how.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
1. true - i do that.
2. true - i did that. i find it laughable that it's ranked 83 positions below Shawshank Redemption
3. true, but despite being completely untrue, it's still a great film. i would say, it's a great film *because* it invents a villain where otherwise there would be none.
4. i wouldn't know. i tried twice to watch it and seeing Ace Ventura being incapable of playing anything but his one weird-faced character makes it impossible for me to see the whole film.
5. also true but i do need to point out that travis saves the girl because he's just insane. it's by pure coincidence that this puts him in the role of hero.

amazon is letting me rent Blade Of The Immortal so that's what i will be watching tonight, now i got to go to work. i'm expecting this to be several orders of magnitude better than 13 Assassins.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
1. true - i do that.
2. true - i did that. i find it laughable that it's ranked 83 positions below Shawshank Redemption
3. true, but despite being completely untrue, it's still a great film. i would say, it's a great film *because* it invents a villain where otherwise there would be none.
4. i wouldn't know. i tried twice to watch it and seeing Ace Ventura being incapable of playing anything but his one weird-faced character makes it impossible for me to see the whole film.
5. also true but i do need to point out that travis saves the girl because he's just insane. it's by pure coincidence that this puts him in the role of hero.

amazon is letting me rent Blade Of The Immortal so that's what i will be watching tonight, now i got to go to work. i'm expecting this to be several orders of magnitude better than 13 Assassins.

Negatory on the Blade of the Immortal.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ok,

Blade Of The Immortal - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5084170/reference

eh, i thought it started out good. the characters were interesting, the acting was pretty good. i also liked the sensible mix of modern and traditional style in the combat and costumes.
Then, it kinda went sideways, the way many japanese modern productions do. It completely lost the pacing, characters started acting idiotically and spouting nonsense, and frankly hearing the same guy grunt for two hours get to be a bit too much.
It also had a lot of little things that made me smile, and i can see they put a shitload of work into this film. What i take away with this film is that japanese filmmakes rely need to hire a white guy to explain to them when they are going overboard with the japanness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.