NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 606 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Blank Check: 7/10

I occasionally watch old movies I watched as a kid in the 80's & 90's. This one is from 1994 and is centered around a kid who gets a blank check because a bad guy ran over his bicycle with his car. He makes out a check to himself for a million bucks and proceeds to blow it all within a week or two. It's fun watching stuff I watched as a kid, now that I have an adult perspective on things...some directors really nail the child psychology of what may seem stupid to you as an adult, but makes an awful lot of sense to you as a kid, given your various restrictions in life with bullies, family, etc. I remember as a kid just thinking the whole idea was awesome, that older brothers really are jerks, parents can be mean, and life was unfair. Watching this as an adult, it had its typically 90's cringe-worthy moments, but if you could let go of the idea of having to be a good film as a film and just enjoy it for a fun ride down the concept of having a million to burn as a kid, then it's a pretty decent show. Normally I would say it's really more of a 6/10 (or less), but I'll give it an extra point for the nostalgia & fun "blue-sky dreaming" factors. If you've seen the movie before - back in the day, that is - check out the Thrillest's review:

https://www.thrillist.com/vice/i-re-watched-blank-check-and-my-childhood-is-ruined

The weirdest part was that the main girl (30-ish?) straight-up kissed the main kid at the end & promised him a date when he got older. As a kid, that was dope. Watching this an adult...very different thoughts on the matter lol. Rings some bells about those child-predator teachers who get pregnant from their grade-school kids...

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

Also, I kinda want a trashcan-sized ice cream sundae now.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Netflix Original:Deathnote. 1/10

Watch something else than this movie. It is that bad. If you have never seen the anime or even the Japanese Live action movies this will make you wonder why you chose this movie to watch after 10 minutes. It has no heart and no mind games of the other movies/anime. By half way through you want Ryuk take the deathnote back and kill all of main characters to save you from the rest of the movie.

Save you time and just give it a thumbs down so Netflix will think twice about making such a f---ing bad show.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Watch something else than this movie. It is that bad. If you have never seen the anime or even the Japanese Live action movies this will make you wonder why you chose this movie to watch after 10 minutes. It has no heart and no mind games of the other movies/anime. By half way through you want Ryuk take the deathnote back and kill all of main characters to save you from the rest of the movie.

Save you time and just give it a thumbs down so Netflix will think twice about making such a f---ing bad show.

I haven't seen either the cartoon or the live-action version of Deathnote, but I was a big DBZ fan back in the day (and now DBZ Abridged, that stuff is GOLDEN lol)...the live-action movie (Evolutuion) was sooooooooooooooooooooo bad. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad! Hahaha. Just awful!

Reactions: Thebobo

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 6/10 - wasn't a big fan of the first and wasn't really a fan of the 2nd either. I just don't like the universe or characters really other than Rocket. I don't even know their names after watching 2 movies, other than Groot and Star something. I also really don't like the music in the movie, it just doesn't fit at all. I felt like they tried to be funny way too much in this movie, which they may have done in the first too as I don't really remember much about it other than I didn't really like it. Just not my cup of tea.

Reactions: ctbaars and Thebobo

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 6/10 - wasn't a big fan of the first and wasn't really a fan of the 2nd either. I just don't like the universe or characters really other than Rocket. I don't even know their names after watching 2 movies, other than Groot and Star something. I also really don't like the music in the movie, it just doesn't fit at all. I felt like they tried to be funny way too much in this movie, which they may have done in the first too as I don't really remember much about it other than I didn't really like it. Just not my cup of tea.

The bane of so many sequels. They try to hard.

Sep 29, 2004
Death Note(2017 film) - on Netlifx - 10/10 for it not being your typical Hollywood crap. 8/10 for what it was. Not perfect but what it did was so right that it didn't matter. Kinda gory which is fine. I'd call it a solid R. There were some death scenes that were B movie horror style but done with A movie quality. V ery interesting ending that seemed to wrap things up cleanly for the most part.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Lost City of Z 6/10 Mildly entertaining.(the docs ive watched were far more interesting)Where was his sons mate?anyways

The shrine 4/10 Horror by numbers.

Resolution 6/10(2013) I just couldnt stop watching this weird shit.Strong dope helped.

Before I Wake 3/10 Ffs Are there any good horror films coming through?

Last edited:

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I hate so-called reality shows with a passion. For the most part they're really just cheap-ass scripted soaps. I'm sure there are exceptions but I've seen precious few. Forged in Fire is one of them.

What I like about it is that it doesn't feel scripted and I don't get the impression that it is. Of course it's heavily edited, out of necessity, but what they do show you seems to capture the personalities of the contestants and the difficulties of their challenges. There aren't any contrived conflicts or pitfalls designed to elicit a certain response from the contestants.

If that were the extent of it I probably wouldn't watch but you also learn something new in most episodes even if it's just some obscure type of edged weapon. But it's also like a course in smithing. Over time you start to gain an understanding of and appreciation for what goes into making a bespoke blade.

I'm really glad to hear that someone else likes it. Many times I've wondered why I like this show so much compared to other reality shows (which I also hate). I think it's because the contestants' final product is put through physical testing instead of just having a panel of judges deciding which one they like the best.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

That really sucks. The Japanese ones were really good. So just stick to those?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Animal Kingdom, 7.5/10. Very entertaining. Crime family trying to stay above the law and still make money. Drugs, sex, and bad ass Bronco. Enjoyed it so far.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
That really sucks. The Japanese ones were really good. So just stick to those?

I am a fan of the manga, anime and the Japanese live action movies. The Netflix movie has a deathnote, a monster that look like Ryuk, and a police officer as a father of Light. The rest of the story just sucks apples. The story is weak, L just gets plopped in for no good reason and a lame girlfriend. I found both Light and L unlikable with IQs about 50 points.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have watched The Fall, I really liked it.
Now Broadchurch, I started watching it and I thought, jeez, I think I've seen this already.
Turns out, I had already watched the American version of season one Broadchurch, (which also starred David Tennant).
It was called Gracepoint.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3435532/

I need to start that one again and season one, or maybe just skip to season two as I know how it ends.

Ha, yeah, I watched the United States of America version too, but it was really weird. I do not think the lady from Breaking Bad is very good and she does not hold a freaking candle to Olivia Colman from the original, she's incredible. I also prefer David Tennant with his original accent. The chemistry between Tenant and Coleman was much better too; I could watch them do that show forever, just going around and solving crimes or whatever.

Re: Citizenfour

Well, I was really curious about Snowden, the whole topic of internet freedom and the shadowy realm of government and corporate invasiveness. These are pivotal issues in these times and going forward. Ignore and you are an ignoramous.

Yeah, interesting topic, but I have found articles and podcasts on it to be far better. The documentary was just, in my opinion, not very good.

Peaky Blinders Season 1-3

Very well done series, give it an 8.5/10

I'm about half way through the first season. I like it and I definitely want to keep going so I can at least get to Tom Hardy's character. Love that guy.

Animal Kingdom, 7.5/10. Very entertaining. Crime family trying to stay above the law and still make money. Drugs, sex, and bad ass Bronco. Enjoyed it so far.

Is this the movie or the show? The movie is awesome; I've seen the show pop up on Netflix, but haven't tried it yet; I assume it's related?

KT

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
TV show, hour long each. Well with no commercials 43ish mins. Its on Amazon prime too. I really enjoyed it, if you have time and looking for a show I'd give it at least a few episodes. I was told that the writers are the same from Sons of Anarchy, not sure if true. Pretty similar though.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Dunkirk was OK, if you like ear rape. I'm gonna avoid IMAX in the future. Expensive tickets and poor sound quality. They just crank up the volume until you've got shattering reverb, and thats not good.

On an unrelated note: A couple of journalists have been allowed to preview the new Leatherface movie, and they liked it.

Reactions: Zanovar

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Hacksaw ridge - Story 10/10 - Execution 5/10 - so ... 7.5/10.

The story was simply amazing - but apart from the lead the acting was pretty spotty.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
TV show, hour long each. Well with no commercials 43ish mins. Its on Amazon prime too. I really enjoyed it, if you have time and looking for a show I'd give it at least a few episodes. I was told that the writers are the same from Sons of Anarchy, not sure if true. Pretty similar though.

Cool thanks. I've never watched Son of Anarchy, but I'll give this a shot.

KT

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

I think you are a bit biased by your expectations. I watched it this weekend with 2 other people that had never seen any of the others, and we all agreed that it was a pretty standard fare teen flick. It was a bit more original than most and the overall story worked. The acting is about what you would expect from this sort of show, so about average. Still better than Twilight.

Death Note: 5.5/10 - Not bad, not great. You will not regret spending your time on it if you are not a fanboi of the anime.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Tick (amazon 2017): 7/10

Amazon released the 1st half of the season.

I like the campiness of it.
I like that it focuses on the origin of Arthur, the moth.

so the Tick is nigh-invulnerable but if you grab his antennae on top of his head, you can lead him around like a puppy dog? :(

I thought the villain was Meh. hopefully the 2nd half of the season will change my mind.

Bring back Chairface Chippendale!

Status
Not open for further replies.