NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 600 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Gifted_film_poster.jpg

this film really tugged on my heart strings..maybe I was drunk..but i really liked it.
Great film. You probably were drunk, though. ;)

Watched birdman. I remember this movie getting great reviews when it came out. I personally hated it. Maybe I'm an idiot idk.

3/10
Another truly great film, despite your wretched rating of non-comprehension. Maybe do what Mayne does. Get drunk and watch it again. :D

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Wonderwoman - 8/10 I thought the action sequences were pretty epic.

Magnificent 7 - 7/10 didn't expect much, but was actually really entertaining.

Sep 29, 2004
Wonderwoman - 8/10 I thought the action sequences were pretty epic.

My opinion of Wonder Woman. I thought it was well done and interesting throughout. But the problem is that it is yet another superhero movie. Someone please get Hollywood to do something different. Formula: overpower good buys vs overpowered bad guys + shiny CGI + cookie cutter plot = super hero movie. Can someone atleast do something original where the protagonist dies in the end or have M Night Shong along ding dong do something in this genre?

Reactions: KMFJD and Thebobo

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My opinion of Wonder Woman. I thought it was well done and interesting throughout. But the problem is that it is yet another superhero movie. Someone please get Hollywood to do something different. Formula: overpower good buys vs overpowered bad guys + shiny CGI + cookie cutter plot = super hero movie. Can someone atleast do something original where the protagonist dies in the end or have M Night Shong along ding dong do something in this genre?

watch Unbreakable?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i finally got around watching Retired Extremely Dangerous 2 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821694/reference

it was a good film, with some issues.
the plot is THE SAME SPY FILM PLOT OF EVERY SPY FILM EVER.
the pacing is so weird, it looks like an large of disjointed scenes, vaguely associated to each other. however, they were all nice on their own, it's just annoying that the mood changes between them and the pacing is off. but, again, they were all worth watching .. hmm .. more or less.
there is action, and good action too, but this is not an action film.
the dialogue was good. john malkovich's dialogue is less crazy now, it makes a lot more sense, his character is much, much better than in RED 1. Helen Mirren's character is slightly worse, it loses the charm that it had in RED 1. Bruce Willis is just bruce willis. Anthony Hopkins is amazing in everything he was ever in.

ok, so, maybe it doesn't give the impression of being a good film. it's like, a very promising but broken AF beta of a game you really want to like, and you are like "yes, yes, this is gonna be great, when is the release date" and they are like "no, this is it".

7/10 but just barely. or rather, 6/10 but add 1 point for bruce willis. (say it like it's a Raiders Of The Lost Ark quote)

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
i finally got around watching Retired Extremely Dangerous 2 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821694/reference

it was a good film, with some issues.
the plot is THE SAME SPY FILM PLOT OF EVERY SPY FILM EVER.
the pacing is so weird, it looks like an large of disjointed scenes, vaguely associated to each other. however, they were all nice on their own, it's just annoying that the mood changes between them and the pacing is off. but, again, they were all worth watching .. hmm .. more or less.
there is action, and good action too, but this is not an action film.
the dialogue was good. john malkovich's dialogue is less crazy now, it makes a lot more sense, his character is much, much better than in RED 1. Helen Mirren's character is slightly worse, it loses the charm that it had in RED 1. Bruce Willis is just bruce willis. Anthony Hopkins is amazing in everything he was ever in.

ok, so, maybe it doesn't give the impression of being a good film. it's like, a very promising but broken AF beta of a game you really want to like, and you are like "yes, yes, this is gonna be great, when is the release date" and they are like "no, this is it".

7/10 but just barely. or rather, 6/10 but add 1 point for bruce willis. (say it like it's a Raiders Of The Lost Ark quote)
Yeah. I thought the first one was fun and the second was forgettable. I barely remember a thing from the second one.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Hippopotamus - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3758708/reference

Based on a novel written by our dear Stephen Fry, it's a dialogue-heavy story of an old drunk poet, brilliant but with a toxic personality, who is tasked to investigate the strange going-ons at a mansion of an old aristocratic family, who used to be his friend before he made a mess of their friendship, and of his own life.

Absolutely gorgeous dialogue, great if traditional acting, beautiful set pieces, i would recommend this to people who like Downton Abbey, who share Stephen Fry's fascination with complex language, fans of Rogel Allam, or fans of british film in general.

A cool 7.5/10, well made, not really memorable, but very different from anything else i've seen in a while. And occasionally funny, too.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
ARQ: (Netflix movie) Basically sci-fi groundhog day. Starring the cousin of the dude from Arrow. Fun concept, although it failed to keep my attention, so I watched it in segments over several days. The two main actors didn't seem to have any chemistry. Excessive use of swearing for no reason other than to add swearing to make the show seem "cool" made the script feel amateurish. What was amazing about the show was how they used limited spaces to do pretty good world-building...the majority of it was shot in what appears to be a single house, just a few rooms, with one CGI outdoors shot, but the dialogue did a good job of creating a dystopian world out there. So props for making you want to know more about the world outside, despite having what I assume was a lower budget. If you like SyFy channel movies, this is like a step up from that. I would rate it 6/10.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and clamum

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Spectre: (Netflix movie) The government sends a nerd to figure out why killer ghosts are attacking the military. As per the Youtube comments, it definitely has a little bit of a Final Fantasy: Spirits Within vibe to it, could almost be a prequel to it, as one of them mentioned. Fantastic graphics. Really good practicals too...excellent uniforms, guns, etc. There was a weird lip sync issue that kept popping up that bothered me (it's something I spot right away & tends to throw me out of the movie), almost made the show feel like a dub at times. You're not super invested in the characters...they keep the story moving, but it lacks a little bit of focus on the main engineer guy & what he's supposed to learn from the experience etc. It's not a perfect movie, but if you like high production values, they do a fun job. I would give this a 7/10.

Reactions: Thebobo
Sep 29, 2004
This is one of my favorite shows. It's so well done and I love how authentic it feels too. Season 3 starts in October I believe.

RE: Narcos

I finished season 1 and am 4 episodes into Season 2. This show is friggin epic. And I'm glad they have the disclaimer that a lot of characters and events have been added for dramatic effect. So it's based on a true story but they are up front that it is not all necessarily true (it's not a history lesson).

Sep 29, 2004
RE: Spectre

It was better than I expected it to be. But overall I'd go with more of a 6/10. Kaido's comments are good enough though.

I guess I'll add that the movie started off as very interesting and then kinda dragged out. I applaud it for being a movie that is trying to do something different (in my opinion).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
RE: Spectre

It was better than I expected it to be. But overall I'd go with more of a 6/10. Kaido's comments are good enough though.

I guess I'll add that the movie started off as very interesting and then kinda dragged out. I applaud it for being a movie that is trying to do something different (in my opinion).

I gave it extra for the quality CGI & costumes/props. I don't know if they really rented a chopper for landing at the safe zone or not, but it looked like they did, so if that was compositing, they did a stellar job!

I think they would have done better if they had taken a slower-paced approach, like the Stargate movie. Made it a more "epic discovery" type of thing (re: the source at the ending). I think the main actor was trying to take it slower like that, but the pacing of the movie was pause, next, next, next, pause, next, next, next, so the final contemplation scene didn't really play out as intended. Like they didn't really focus on him accepting that there are some things science couldn't explain & that he had to go with his gut feeling for.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Inherit the wind (1960) 9/10

Was just on AMC this Sunday morning, how appropriate.

Even relevant today, Inherit the Wind is an American masterpiece, a fictionalized account based on the famous Scopes "Monkey Trial" which took place in Tennessee in 1925. There is no trailer.

Documentary on the Scopes Monkey Trial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVD4TjxnJ0M

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I gave it extra for the quality CGI & costumes/props. I don't know if they really rented a chopper for landing at the safe zone or not, but it looked like they did, so if that was compositing, they did a stellar job!

I think they would have done better if they had taken a slower-paced approach, like the Stargate movie. Made it a more "epic discovery" type of thing (re: the source at the ending). I think the main actor was trying to take it slower like that, but the pacing of the movie was pause, next, next, next, pause, next, next, next, so the final contemplation scene didn't really play out as intended. Like they didn't really focus on him accepting that there are some things science couldn't explain & that he had to go with his gut feeling for.

I liked it, but it felt like it would have played out better as a video game.

Sep 29, 2004

Props were admittedly good. I appreciate that. The CGI was good but CGI is at the point now that it is not something that lower budgets can't do well. 5 years ago, I would have agreed, incredible CGI. But the CGI they used is not anything TV shows don't do these days.

CGI is at the point that the wow factor is gone and script writers will need to focus more on story which is a good thing IMHO. No more focusing on making amazing landscapes and more focus on story is my hope.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I liked it, but it felt like it would have played out better as a video game.

Yeah, one of the Youtube commenters mentioned it felt like FEAR. Kinda did. Would have been an awesome video game for sure!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Props were admittedly good. I appreciate that. The CGI was good but CGI is at the point now that it is not something that lower budgets can't do well. 5 years ago, I would have agreed, incredible CGI. But the CGI they used is not anything TV shows don't do these days.

CGI is at the point that the wow factor is gone and script writers will need to focus more on story which is a good thing IMHO. No more focusing on making amazing landscapes and more focus on story is my hope.

I still appreciate good CGI because you still see low-budget movies that use crappy CGI, like SyFy channel movies, and it's so noticeable that it kind of ruins the watchability of the movie at times.

And yeah, that's the key - now that you can do virtually anything, it's turned from a question of "can we?" to "with great power comes great responsibility" - how do you use it wisely, to enhance the story, without turning it into yet another boring CGI fest? The ones that do it well create lasting movies...look at Jurassic Park - early CGI, but still holds up well after 25+ years.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
watched Going In Style. Had great actors Cain, Freeman, Keitel. good effing movie.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Valerian 3D - 7/10 (bonus point for decent FX) but the movie was ok, not bad but not good either. The two main characters were totally miscast. The guy looks like a teenager and he is a major in the military? Seriously? Same for the girl, just like a Calif valley teenager/surfer and a Sgt.? Whaaaattttt?
The 3D was decent, I did like it when the flip in and out scenes at the big market but it was a bit dark for me, especially at the beginning with the princess and the beach. Day time and it was not bright enough for me.
I did chuckle at the 3 ducks/penguins, greedy bastards ($100 for further information, for each of us ==> $300 total).
The Pearls are too good to be true. Hold no anger toward the ones that destroyed their whole planet and most of their people.

I do not know where they spent the $150 million budget because the 3D/special effect was not that great/expensive looking to me.

Wonder Woman - 8/10. Not as great as I thought it would be because of all the buzz and the money the movie makes so far. Gadot was a perfect choice for the role. So sexy and hot when she charged to the front line. The pilot could save himself if he used his brain. Why WW said something about "brother" at the end?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Valerian - 6/10

Good sci-fi/fantasy flick that would have been better if the lead actors weren't so terrible. Action was good, aliens were all good, but the two main actors were so bad it really brought the film down as a whole. I thought the male actor was pretty good in Chronicle, but was really bad here. Every time he opened his mouth it sounded like he was channeling Keanu Reeves in Bill & Ted. It was such a cringeworthy delivery that you couldn't get into it. The female lead wasn't terrible, but she was just boring. No chemistry with her partner (which isn't that surprising given how bad he was himself) but she just fell flat.

The story wasn't bad up until the last 30 minutes or so. They spoon feed you the ending with a very unoriginal "revalation" of the main characters explaining things for the audience. It wouldn't have been that hard to write this more naturally and then it might have been worth a 7/10, but the ending was pretty badly delivered... made even worse by the terrible acting.

Shame really because otherwise it would have been a great sci-fantasy flick.

Status
Not open for further replies.