NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocksinhead

Nov 1, 2008
Not much for giving */10 scores. Movies usually come in 3 flavors for me. Bad, Meh and Good.

Watched a bunch of movies yesterday as I had absolutely nothing to do (not true I just had nothing I felt like doing) and here they are:

Interstate 60 - pretty funny but weird and not what I was expecting

Eagle vs. Shark - really funny if you like that kind of humor. was compared to Napoleon Dynamite somewhere and I get that comparison on the type of humor.

There Will Be Blood - good at first but by the end I didn't feel like there was even much of an actual story. Just a performance by Daniel Day Lewis. That's not an entirely bad thing though.

Recently saw Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - very highly recommend that one. I was laughing my ass off. That's one I'll be passing along to friends and family same as I did with Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Also watched The Experiment - crazy that was based on a true story. Awesome performance by Adrien Brody

Started watching P2 - got bored as hell with it. Turned it off after about an hour.

Saw Zombie Apocalypse - wished I hadn't. Shit story with shittier special effects. Ving Rhames what are you doing in this?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Experiment - 4/10: Adrien Brody, and various other guys including Forest Whitaker, signs up for 14 days in prison as part of an experiment (this is based of the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment). This movie just did not really work for me. I liked Adrien Brody, he was good (I like him in general) but the writing in this film was just awful. The entire first 15 minutes was very obvious, blunt foreshadowing of what was to come it came to a point where I was saying, ok this guy is going to do this, this other guy will do this, and I was dead on. I also felt the whole thing hit the fan far too quickly and easily and it just seemed quite unbelievable to me. I think there is a good film in this story, but I have a feeling it was already made in Germany as Das Experiment (I've not seen it yet, but I can only assume).

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
anyone else on Letterboxd on here? add me, same username as AT

Added.

Wikipedia/Imdb says ES:TEW was the final movie of a trilogy. The first part of this trilogy was actually a documentary titled Bus 174. :hmm:

Oh wow, had no idea; saw it a while back.

Bus 174 - 7.5/10: A documentary following a hostage taking on a bus in Brazil. Due to how things happened and due to the ineptitude of the police, there are a lot of great shots as the reporters and camera men were right next to the bus for a good part of the beginning of the standoff, even though the guy was waving a gun around and threatening to kill people. So you get that footage and interspersed with that is a loot of interviews and a bit of footage on the background of the hostage taker; going right back to when he was a kid and up to the day he ended up on the bus. Overall this was pretty compelling and interesting as a commentary on the poverty in Brazil and how the system is pretty much broken, but it felt a bit too long and dragged in parts particularly in the middle of the film. Still good, but could have been more effective with about 15-20 minutes of the film trimmed off.

So at least I'm watching them in the right order. :p

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I just created my account. Same name as my username in AT. I've added KT and pookguy to my list.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
No, he never responded to me so I gave his invite away. I can probably get another one if need be though.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Was just watching Deep Rising and it finally occurred to me Famke Jansen has a voice very similar to some other actress, but I'll be damned if I can figure out who.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
She's from the Netherlands, maybe another Dutch actress?

Actually I think she just learned a generic American accent to get movies, like so many other european actresses. Which is probably why I am thinking of others while listening to her.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Army of Shadows - 9.5/10:
Wow what a movie. I was in awe through a lot of it; Melville was a fucking master, it's a shame he died early.

The movie is about a group of French resistance fighters during the war.

To say it's a beautiful movie isn't doing it justice. The great French scenery and amazing direction, wow. The movie itself is riveting, thrilling. There's one scene near the beginning that's particularly great. Really great acting from a bunch of good characters. I just finished watching it so I'm a bit short on words, but amazing amazing movie.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I Saw the Devil - 9/10
(Watched via Netflix, Korean w/ English Subs)

A tale of revenge and how things may not always go as planned. And gore... lots of gore. The acting is top notch and the villain in this film is possibly one of the scariest you will ever see. This is definitely worth a watch but I cannot stress enough just how gruesome/gory this film is.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Lunopolis
8/10

A fairly good sci fi movie. It says there are aliens in it ....
There is not
Worth a watch. Just be sure to not betired when watching it. You have to pay attention. I gave it an 8/10 mostly for originality. And they do poke fun at scientology in it so that is always good.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Anybody see Raiders on Blu-ray yet?

Screenies dont really look impressive.

15xu0e9.jpg

Last edited:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Tron 6/10 - I've never seen the original Tron so I have to admit I'm missing some of the back story here, but knowing it wouldn't have made for a better film. Besides which they recap most of it for you, rather poorly. The basic story goes that software guru Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) created a wildly popular video game craze back in the late 80s with his game Tron. But more than that he found some way of digitizing himself and entering the world of computers itself. All of this is very vaguely explained and makes little sense, and arguably for a film like this it doesn't need to. Anyway Kevin has this hippie inspired dream of creating the perfect digital world and bringing the fruits of his labor back to the real world to cure all disease and end all suffering. The hippie overtones are not at all subtle, down to a faux zen overtones and frequent use of "hay man". Bridges is almost reprising his role as The Dude here. Of course his utopia turns into a dystopia and he ends up trapped in and by his creation. It's left to his son Sam Flynn (plaid rather blandly by Garrett Hedlund) to rediscover his lost father and save the day. Of course the film is all about its visuals and while there are some aspects that stand out, it's really mostly just what you would expect. Tron updated with 2011 special effects. Which isn't entire a bad thing, I was still captivated by the visuals for a good 1/3rd of the film. Aside from visuals only other thing about the film that stands out at all is its audio score by Daft Punk which does lend some scenes a nice ethereal feel. You might say I went in expecting too much. After all what can one expect from a remake of Tron? Well not much, but at the very least it should be entertaining, sadly while the visual and aural experience is largely there the acting is so wooden and hackneyed that I found it difficult to really be engaged by any of this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.