NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 550 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i finally watched Suicide Squad and i thought Will Smith was awesome, can't wait for a full-feature called Deadshot.

Everything else was bad and unnecessary. Of all things, Harley Quinn (a character i already detest in its comic-book-life) was by far the worst, I can't imagine a character more built to pander to the fanservice-obsessed than her.
The story is stupid but you sorta expect that anyway.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Batman vs. Superman - 4/10

It is bad. It's worse than bad, it's stupid and forced. If you just want to see batman vs. superman fight and don't care about anything else this movie is for you. If you want to watch an interesting story, with good plot and some solid reasons for the fight, this movie is not for you. A 10min short in which batman takes on superman would have been a more worthwhile view than this 3hrs movie.
Yup, the whole point of this movie, them fighting, is dumb.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Not even sure I finished up all the Archers this year, will have to look.

I may have missed the last couple.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
NEWS:

We are getting another Mary Poppins, with Emily Blunt.

The new Star Trek series will have a female lead, and she will NOT be the captain. It is rumored the Andorians will have a major role.

There was pilot shot for a star trek series a couple years ago that featured Eric Roberts as the doctor. It was not picked up.

Rumors suggest casting has already begun for another Mission Impossible but theres no script and no timetable yet.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I'm a bit of an Emily Blunt fan, but her being Mary Poppins makes me think of her attacking Nazis with the tail rotor off of a chopper :p

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeJay1952

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Narcos Season 2 - 10/10 - if you liked the first season you will like this one just as much. It's actually kind of sad to see the downfall of Pablo Escobar though, and the way they shot the season they definitely tried to humanize him quite a bit and make you have some compassion for him at the human level, and they succeeded big time in that IMO. But then they also do a great job at throwing in these parts where he just goes in a fit of rage and grounds you back in reality a bit about who he really was. One of my favorite series and I hadn't binge watched a show like this in a long time and was sad when it ended last night. The casting for this show is just incredible too.

The only thing that bothered me which is so nit picky is that they clearly had stuffed his shirt to make him get fatter as the series went on. It was like you could see the cushion in there lol.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
NEWS:

We are getting another Mary Poppins, with Emily Blunt.

The new Star Trek series will have a female lead, and she will NOT be the captain. It is rumored the Andorians will have a major role.

There was pilot shot for a star trek series a couple years ago that featured Eric Roberts as the doctor. It was not picked up.

Rumors suggest casting has already begun for another Mission Impossible but theres no script and no timetable yet.
So which of these have you seen that you're in this thread to review?

Reactions: WiseUp216

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Stranger Things (Netflix) 6/10 - Artistically it was a good movie. The feel of nostalgia was well done. unfortunately the story was lacking, missing key components. It was more about the nostalgia and interpersonal relationships of 12 year olds than anything else.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Saw Star Trek Beyond and thought it was a huge drop-off from the previous 2 movies. It looked like a low-budget movie that took a week of filming at some deserted Icelandic location and I couldn't help but feel like the casts weren't thrilled about it as well. 6/10.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just watched Don't Breathe. I will not spoil anything. Thought it rocked. 9/10

Watched American Pie again after many years. LOL'd 8.5/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
According to tonights episode of The Simpsons, Homer was the 2nd safety inspector of sector 7G. And the other guy covered for him all these years. Now he's retiring.

1/10

Show needs to die.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Here's a TV show that I did NOT watch: Blindspot.

I saw something today about a season 2 premier on September 14th. I'd never heard of the show before, but the premise (and the girl) looked interesting, so I went to see about torrenting it. Deal killer: Season 1 was 23 episodes of an hour (well, 42 minutes on network TV) each. I never again want to watch a show with that many episodes in a season.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Here's a TV show that I did NOT watch: Blindspot.

I saw something today about a season 2 premier on September 14th. I'd never heard of the show before, but the premise (and the girl) looked interesting, so I went to see about torrenting it. Deal killer: Season 1 was 23 episodes of an hour (well, 42 minutes on network TV) each. I never again want to watch a show with that many episodes in a season.
Breaking Bad had a bunch in some seasons.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Blindspot isn't that great a show. The only real reason to watch it is Jamie Alexander. It's not exactly a ripoff of The Black List but it's the same sort of idea and execution except TBL does it a lot better and you really can't do better than James Spader.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Florence Foster Jenkins - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4136084/reference and was disappointed;

for those who don't know, FFJ was a rich woman who not only was slightly mad, but also could not sing to save her own life, and yet she spent a fortune in paying *everyone* off so that she could perform. In a tragic irony, her shows were so bad that she became a massive success, people mobbed each other just to have a chance to see her.
Given the tone of .. well, her actual life, i was hoping for something at least as funny as she would have been to her audience; instead, i got a melodramatic film where, i suspect, we are supposed to feel for this poor woman deprived of choice in her youth. (and completely ignore her arrogance, the fact that was was a complete idiot, and that her singing was atrocious)
Fortunately i am completely devoid of emotion so i did not have to suffer too much, but i don't really see why this had to be a biopic when it could have been a smashing comedy. It's not like Hollywood is shy from stretching historical truth to fit a film, after all.

6/10 - really well made but disappointing.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
:)
you know that moment when, the film you watch *knowing* it's crap turns out to be really good? (kinda like Kingsmen)

TMNT Out Of The Shadows - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3949660/reference

aside from the obligatory PC message, T2 (teenage mutant ninja turtles 2 out of the shadows, the longest film title ever) is a pretty solid action film; the turtles are really cool, the action is .. whatever it's called when you can actually see what the hell is happening, the pacing is rocksteady (he he), the dialogue is pretty solid - which i did not expect from this kind of film - and the acting is pretty decent. really enjoyed every bit of it.

it's solid.

7/10

Reactions: Charmonium
Status
Not open for further replies.