NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 501 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Basterds is the best, but Pulp Fiction has some great stuff as well. I mean, it makes you forget Travolta is a raving lunatic in real life, he's so cool in that

but...

Midnight Special this week! Yay

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It seems that everyone agrees: Those particular IB scenes are great. Makes me wonder how they could miss that H8 is almost entirely made up of those kind of masterfully written "tense standoff conversations" when they condemn it for being "boring" and "just people in a cabin, talking." It's incredibly suspenseful as they set up tensions and leave things on the edge of blowing up for so long.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Basterds is the best, but Pulp Fiction has some great stuff as well. I mean, it makes you forget Travolta is a raving lunatic in real life, he's so cool in that

but...

Midnight Special this week! Yay

Haha, agreed.

Midnight Special is not ahowing around here this weekend. :(

I hate you all: Jackie Brown is the best!

:)

I don't think it's his best, but it is incredible. I just re-watched it a week or two ago. It's definitely his most subtle film and I think that is why a lot of people discount; it lacks the flash and bombast of his other works.

It seems that everyone agrees: Those particular IB scenes are great. Makes me wonder how they could miss that H8 is almost entirely made up of those kind of masterfully written "tense standoff conversations" when they condemn it for being "boring" and "just people in a cabin, talking." It's incredibly suspenseful as they set up tensions and leave things on the edge of blowing up for so long.

Never found H8 boring at all. I loved it exactly for the reasons you stated. I agree though, find it odd that people hated it when they, in theory, loved similar stuff in his previous works.

KT

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Zootopia 9/10

liked it MUCH better than Inside Out.

cute movie
everyone working at the DMV are
sloths
..hahaha

but you can figure out the bad guy 2/3s of the way thru the movie :(

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
UK series War and Peace - 9/10

I think this was on PBS as well. Six parts. Lily James is wonderful.

BTW, Man Seeking Woman 8/10

ended this week. Not every episode hits the mark but most do and are seriously laugh out loud funny.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
surely I must've not been the only one who hated IB. Guess I gotta watch it again...

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
House of Cards, Season 4

saw the 1st 2 episodes. MEH so far
Claire wanting to
run for National office
while Frank is running to stay as Pres???
WTFBBQ stupid unbelievable makes no sense

unless she hates him so much that she's willing to spite her own face by making him lose?

btw-what caused her to turn on him?
I cant pinpoint the exact episode in Season 3 where they had a falling out?

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Absolutely. The opening scene in Basterds is one of my favorite scenes ever as well. That one and the basement bar scene. So good. The only thing stopping IB from being a 10/10 to me is when QT goes full Tarantino in the final act with the theater part. It just did not fit with the rest of the movie IMHO and felt too forced/unnecessary.

I even thought the theater part was well done myself, especially when "The Dirty Dozen" music kicks in.

Not really sure how it didn't fit in, but that's subjective I guess :)

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I have watched both recently. They are both 10/10 for me, but Inglourious is just more complete and polished as a film in my opinion.

KT

Agreed. Pulp Fiction's appeal was partially based on a rarity that was destroyed with HBO's commitment to R rated TV shows.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
House of Cards, Season 4

saw the 1st 2 episodes. MEH so far

Claire wanting to run for National office while Frank is running for re-election as Pres???

WTFBBQ stupid unbelievable makes no sense

unless she hates him so much that she's willing to spite her own face by making him lose?

btw-what caused her to turn on him?

I cant pinpoint the exact episode in Season 3 where they had a falling out?

Spoiler much? This thread is primarily impressions to serve as recommendations for others who HAVEN'T seen what you've seen. I stopped watching a few years ago toward the end of season 1 and was getting ready to binge watch until caught up. Now I know that not only does he
get elected, but Claire is going to betray him.

Plz fix. K? Tnx.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Spoiler much? This thread is primarily impressions to serve as recommendations for others who HAVEN'T seen what you've seen. I stopped watching a few years ago toward the end of season 1 and was getting ready to binge watch until caught up. Now I know that not only does he
get elected, but Claire is going to betray him.

Plz fix. K? Tnx.

ehh.. I guess I consider trying to stay Pres as running for re-election, even if you weren't elected to be Pres.

and I have no idea if he succeeds. it might be season 4 is just about the re-election and ends in a cliff hanger of the result.
'And CNN predicts that Frank Underwood has been...' fade to black till Season 5

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
ehh.. I guess I consider trying to stay Pres as running for re-election, even if you weren't elected to be Pres.

and I have no idea if he succeeds. it might be season 4 is just about the re-election and ends in a cliff hanger of the result.

'And CNN predicts that Frank Underwood has been...' fade to black till Season 5

Now, see, I didn't know THAT either. :(

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
huh?

I'm just speculating on season 4 since I only saw the 1st 2 episodes.

what do u find wrong w/speculation?

Builders the spoileriffic part that wasn't speculation.
Frank was not president when I stopped watching. I now know that he will be and that he does it in a way that does not require him to be elected. Any tension where I might be left wondering if his plan will work is spoiled.

*shrug*

You tried, man. It's partly my fault for familiarizing myself with the characters and their ambitions before I stopped watching so that even a season synopsis will contain huge spoilers. I guess we need a HoC discussion thread.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
He Never Died - 7.5/10 (Netflix)

It's not really a horror movie or a comedy, it's slow-paced yet violent, and there are moments of (un)deadpan humor. An entertaining bit of weirdness if you're in the right mood.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
He Never Died - 7.5/10 (Netflix)

It's not really a horror movie or a comedy, it's slow-paced yet violent, and there are moments of (un)deadpan humor. An entertaining bit of weirdness if you're in the right mood.

This is the Henry Rollins flick? Almost watched it last night. Glad to hear it's decent.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.