NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 482 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
That one is love-it-or-hate-it. Same with The Hateful Eight.

I loved both.

I don't know that the Revenant is necessarily a love-it-or-hate-it. I'm pretty "meh" about it. Sure it was a decent film. No, I'll never watch it again. No, it wasn't as good as the award nominations make it out to be.

The Hateful Eight I can agree with. But I'm in the "love it" category for that one :D

i hope you find The Big Short, it's far better.

100% agree. I couldn't even make it through Margin Call. The Big Short was probably my #2 movie last year.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I freaking hate musicals. I didn't mind West Side Story and Grease when I was a kid, but not sure how much I would like them now. I hate everything else.

KT
I totally dug West Side Story when it came out, it worked for me every time, but I revisited it in 2004 and wrote this in my notes:

- - - -
It's been a long time. I saw it at least twice in the 60s and thought it was awesomely great. I just read Ebert's long review (not in Cinemania), and I thought he was pretty right. It was great where it was great and it is a landmark musical. It could have been a lot greater, though, and he points out where. People pretty much agree that the leading roles were second rate preformances. Well, it won Oscars for best supporting actor and actress (especially good by Rita Moreno!!). The choreography was absolutely sensational and ingenious (Jerome Robbins). The music was mighty fine. The gangs should have been more dangerous and sinister. They did pretty it up and soften that badly for mass entertainment appeal. The pathos and tragedy of Shakespeare's ending didn't translate to WSS, and that's the fault of the creators of the movie. Well, they had a musical, but they could have imbued it with all the drama and emotional power of the Shakespeare if they'd committed to it and had the right people pushing it. Still, it was fine, very fine. I guess I should see those other musicals that Ebert says he's seen "countless times" since WSS came out, while not having watched WSS for 40 years or so:

Ebert: "I've seen "Singin' in the Rain," "Swing Time," "Top Hat," "My Fair Lady" and "An American in Paris" countless times during those years."

I did see Singin' in the Rain a couple months ago and wasn't that impressed. Is it really better than WSS? I'm not so sure. I wonder about those other flicks. I don't think I've seen them. If I have, it wasn't more than once and a LONG time ago.
- - - -

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The last two nights I watched in this order, and I rate them both 9.5/10:

Inside Out (2015, Pixar)
Pixar blows my mind again! This is a work of art. Disney can't touch Pixar for brilliance and excellence. I've never seen a Disney movie that comes close to this movie.

The Martian (2015, Ridley Scott)
Many reviewers didn't get it. I read the book over the summer, so I knew exactly where they got this, from the brilliant Andy Weir novel. Ridley Scott and the screen writer stuck to the book, virtually religiously, which tells you how good the book was. Few excellent books make excellent movies, especially if the movie sticks to the book. Science fiction several planes higher than <well, what have you?>.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Deadpool - 8/10. Fun superhero movie.

I'd go higher. Extremely funny, with adult humor and engaging. Wife and I had a really good time and actually laughed out loud for a change. One of the best movies I have seen at a theater in a long time. Probably not for everyone but we enjoyed it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I last watched BULLITT (1967) on VHS :)
I finally saw it last October. Had it's good points. The plot was to me confusing. The hospital scenes, especially for the 1960s, were remarkably realistic. It was worth a watch, but I won't be seeing it again.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
You watch it for the car.. and chase scene.. c'mon now. It is near and dear to me because I own a '68 Mustang.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Any impressions on Knight of Cups with Christian Bale ? I only saw 20 mins and bailed out.
Have you seen any other Terrence Malick movies to compare this one to? I loved everything he made until To the Wonder, which I really didn't care for. Unfortunately, from what I've read so far, Knight of Cups seems more in line with that, rather than his earlier movies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You watch it for the car.. and chase scene.. c'mon now. It is near and dear to me because I own a '68 Mustang.
I knew it had a reputation for it's great car chase scene. I wasn't about to watch it just for that. Most car chase scenes just bore me.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
\ 9.5/10:

Inside Out (2015, Pixar)
Pixar blows my mind again! This is a work of art. Disney can't touch Pixar for brilliance and excellence. I've never seen a Disney movie that comes close to this movie.

Every time I see one of these animations, the BIG EYES they slap on the "adorable" young-uns reminds me of the uhr cheesiness of Keane's waifs:

il_fullxfull_440580217_ht4r-1024x768.jpg

The retch-inducing "cuteness" of dogs playing poker:

a_friend_in_need.jpg

And the twin trailer trash monstrosities of black Velvet Jeebus and Black Velvet Elvis:

vx8vt0wwepqwclh6qnim.jpg

Now combine that with the tired 1960s sitcom trope of the doofus dad:

And you have an aesthetic abortion even Planned Parenthood wouldn't touch. :p

Not on MY LAWN you barbarian whippersnappers! ;)

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet, but i saw that shitty comedy Adam Sandler did, The Ridiculous 6.

Travesty that they spent like $20m more on Ridiculous 6.

Hateful Eight wasn't cheap to produce either. Tarantino shot AND EDITED his film with 70mm film.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I knew it had a reputation for it's great car chase scene. I wasn't about to watch it just for that. Most car chase scenes just bore me.

It is really fantastic. The sound...mmmm! That one and the one from Gone in 60 Seconds, another Mustang chase. Crank up the sound and damn. Anyways, guess I am partial.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet, but i saw that shitty comedy Adam Sandler did, The Ridiculous 6.

Well, there's one nearly everyone agrees on... and hates. ;)

Inside Out (2015, Pixar)

Well, except that Disney kinda *is* Pixar these days. The talent goes back and fourth a lot. JL helming their non-Pixar movies is proof of that... and then there's John Carter of Mars.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'd go higher. Extremely funny, with adult humor and engaging. Wife and I had a really good time and actually laughed out loud for a change. One of the best movies I have seen at a theater in a long time. Probably not for everyone but we enjoyed it.

Why do I get the feeling that everyone telling me to go see Deadpool for those two reasons is just like everyone telling me that Conker's Bad Fur Day was "extremely funny, with adult humor?" That game was the very definition of crude and immature with a terrible sense of humor.

"You see that?! Just like Terminator!"
"*giggle* A reference to The Matrix!"
"Look! A character who curses!"
"OMG! A giant talking poop-monster!"
"Ha ha ha! He's urinating on them to make them move!"
"LOL! You have to hit his brass balls!"
"Can you believe you have to bounce on the flower's big boobs in a Nintendo game?!"

Well, at least my expectations are low.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Why do I get the feeling that everyone telling me to go see Deadpool for those two reasons is just like everyone telling me that Conker's Bad Fur Day was "extremely funny, with adult humor?" That game was the very definition of crude and immature with a terrible sense of humor.

"OMG! A just like Terminator!"
"A giant talking poop-monster!"

Yeah, I have the exact same feeling. Looks like it's trying so hard to be edgy and none of the jokes in the trailer seemed funny to me. I too will be going in with very low expectations.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I've been catching up on Bob's Burgers on netflix. Really funny, and to anyone curious, it's not a kid's show like it looks from the cover image

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

"Can you believe you have to bounce on the flower's big boobs in a Nintendo game?!"

Well... in full disclosure I did like that game, but not nearly as much as the movie. Never did finish it.

Wait for DVD release then, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. I equally enjoyed Star Wars, but its just different. I don't want to give away some of the lines in the movie. I went in with zero idea who Deadpool was, or the other characters. It does a good job explaining the story of how he came to be, and like always everything revolves around a girl. We paid almost $40 to see it on in imax V day, worth it to me. Not that imax makes it better, but it's about the only way I will go see a movie now days, because I can pick my seat and its assigned to my ticket. No more wandering around trying to find some in the dark.

I was surprised to see two kids of about 6 years old at the showing since it is a rated R movie. It hits the R rating for me in every area, language, sex, gore, etc.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
It hits the R rating for me in every area, language, sex, gore, etc.

In that case, I'm in! :p

In all seriousness, while I'm a cranky geezer reflexive non-fan of movies based on comic book (errrr, graphic novel) super heroes, this movie is one I think I'd like to see.

To those who have, would I miss much by waiting to see it at home -- 60" screen + mid-level sound system?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
No, I don't think so. There was nothing that graphically intensive that it needs to be seen on the big screen. No huge space scenes, no gigantic dinosaurs, its not 3D. I think you'd be fine.

It was mostly full when I went, I do enjoy when a good group is watching a movie and gets into it together. Not that 'stand up and clap' annoying people like in some movies, ala Lord of the Ring fans.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

The easiest way to make that call is if you don't like Kevin Smith movies (Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob, etc), because they are 'just dick and fart jokes' you won't like this movie and also have no taste in movies :D

This movie had me laughing out loud quite a bit, a few spots I was nearly in tears. My wife even loved it and she hates the superhero movies.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Well... in full disclosure I did like that game, but not nearly as much as the movie. Never did finish it.

Wait for DVD release then, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. I equally enjoyed Star Wars, but its just different. I don't want to give away some of the lines in the movie. I went in with zero idea who Deadpool was, or the other characters. It does a good job explaining the story of how he came to be, and like always everything revolves around a girl. We paid almost $40 to see it on in imax V day, worth it to me. Not that imax makes it better, but it's about the only way I will go see a movie now days, because I can pick my seat and its assigned to my ticket. No more wandering around trying to find some in the dark.

I was surprised to see two kids of about 6 years old at the showing since it is a rated R movie. It hits the R rating for me in every area, language, sex, gore, etc.

I liked a lot of the gameplay, graphics, and music, but it was a big miss for me in the humor dept even though that was supposed to be its big stand-out attribute. I absolutely could not stand being forced to watch the "funny because it's crude" banter as if I was entertained by it (suicide scene comes to mind). They couldn't even stress the right words: "Now that's what I call a 'bowel movement.'" No doubt, Deadpool will not have that problem and I do hope it exceeds my expectations.

Last edited:

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I've been catching up on Bob's Burgers on netflix. Really funny, and to anyone curious, it's not a kid's show like it looks from the cover image

I enjoy it, but it's really hindered by the fact that they have the same guy that voices Archer.

Status
Not open for further replies.