NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 478 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
yeah this was VERY apparent in the show, but i kind of just put that aside and still liked it for what it was. overall i thought the acting was pretty poor too, other than the main guys (and even some of them weren't great).

Well there weren't many more people besides the main 4/5 dudes and I thought they did a decent enough job (Zahn was great) for the B actors they are.

As you said earlier -- I was entertained. I had zero expectations going in, so I was won over easily I guess.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well there weren't many more people besides the main 4/5 dudes and I thought they did a decent enough job (Zahn was great) for the B actors they are.

As you said earlier -- I was entertained. I had zero expectations going in, so I was won over easily I guess.

i liked the whole vibe and scenery of the show, and they sure knew how to end an episode with making you want to watch the next one. i thought how it ended and the reasons that they could continue with a season 2 was pretty stupid though. it just doesn't make any logical sense really. but whatever lol i'd probably watch it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
i liked the whole vibe and scenery of the show, and they sure knew how to end an episode with making you want to watch the next one. i thought how it ended and the reasons that they could continue with a season 2 was pretty stupid though. it just doesn't make any logical sense really. but whatever lol i'd probably watch it.

Oh, there shouldn't be a season two, but as you said, I will watch it if there is.

I sort of wish
Zahn would have not gone home with the 2. His character should have ended up being the selfish person he continually was. I might have liked it better if they all ended up realizing and committing to their "true selves" in the end.

And yeah -- they nailed the episode ending "cliff hanger" pretty freaking well. They really set the ambiance of the scene too with background music/noise... whatever it was. You know what I mean.

Besides... "The Cat" was worth watching for by himself.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Mad Dogs (Amazon TV) -- 8/10

After posting a couple of weeks ago that I started in on Mad Dogs and was loving it, I finally got around to wrapping up the series.

I can say it's a sold 8/10 rating from me -- a pleasant surprise that really could have flown under the radar. Sure there are some "oh yeah right" moments where you have to suspend some belief, but I thought the acting, the pace, the general "feel" of the series was really good.

I'm glad they left it open to a potential second season. Hopefully it gets picked up.

Definitely recommended.
Lol, your back and forth with beast0 made me look at Mad Dogs on imdb, just out of curiosity since I don't have Prime. Belize! I had a friend who lived in Belize for years. Back in those pre-internet days, we actually corresponded by snail mail (gasp!) His mailing address always gave me a chuckle. It was something like, "Mile Marker 37, Hummingbird Highway, Belize." :D

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
while mad dogs did have some cool scenery, i was hoping to have more beachy scenes. it was a lot of tropical settings though in the forest and stuff, but also a lot in the run down cities.

but that villa...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Lol, your back and forth with beast0 made me look at Mad Dogs on imdb, just out of curiosity since I don't have Prime. Belize! I had a friend who lived in Belize for years. Back in those pre-internet days, we actually corresponded by snail mail (gasp!) His mailing address always gave me a chuckle. It was something like, "Mile Marker 37, Hummingbird Highway, Belize." :D

Funny because I think there is a "Mile Marker 42, Hummingbird Highway" moment in the show.

Xenon

Oct 16, 1999
I like this show but it does have that soap opera vibe. What I mean to say is that it really is basically a soap opera with musical numbers embedded. And despite the fact that I don't like either musicals or soap operas as a general rule, this show is often very funny.

I've never watched a soap opera in my life so I'm not sure what you mean. What stands out for me is how well written and funny the episodes and musical numbers are. Never thought I'd enjoy a musical. If you watch this show you understand early on that it isn't your typical network comedy and you realize the lead character is ACTUALLY crazy. Get's a bit sad at that point.

Here is the other song from the pilot episode.

https://youtu.be/ky-BYK-f154

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've never watched a soap opera in my life so I'm not sure what you mean. What stands out for me is how well written and funny the episodes and musical numbers are. Never thought I'd enjoy a musical. If you watch this show you understand early on that it isn't your typical network comedy and you realize the lead character is ACTUALLY crazy. Get's a bit sad at that point.

Here is the other song from the pilot episode.

https://youtu.be/ky-BYK-f154

I actually really like this show, despite the musical parts, however, the songs fall on the comedy side which I can tolerate. The lyrics tend to be happy joyful sounding, while they are actually quite dark and crazy.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Bridge of Spies: 9.5/10. Drama, but kind of a feel-good drama. The conflict in the story is kind of weak, but the characters are really interesting, and that's what makes this such a great movie. Tom Hanks is frickin phenomenal, as usual. Very cool cinematography too, I thought. Everything is mostly a washed out greyish colour, but not in an annoying way, which goes well to highlight the shittyness of the USSR.

Terrible title though. Bridge of Spies? WTF?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Bridge of Spies: 9.5/10. Drama, but kind of a feel-good drama. The conflict in the story is kind of weak, but the characters are really interesting, and that's what makes this such a great movie. Tom Hanks is frickin phenomenal, as usual. Very cool cinematography too, I thought. Everything is mostly a washed out greyish colour, but not in an annoying way, which goes well to highlight the shittyness of the USSR.

Terrible title though. Bridge of Spies? WTF?

was pretty sad to see redbox wasn't carrying the bluray of this movie as i wanted to see it.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Star Wars Episode I don't care ... 3/10. Such a disappointment. Based upon World opinion and views expressed on this board I believe the ZOMBIE apocalypse has already begun and 100% are so because they saw the movie and became zombies because of it.

The Martian ... 8/10. I don't give ratings above 8/10 so this is definitely a good movie. Not perfect ... just good!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Star Wars Episode I don't care ... 3/10. Such a disappointment. Based upon World opinion and views expressed on this board I believe the ZOMBIE apocalypse has already begun and 100% are so because they saw the movie and became zombies because of it.

Agreed. I don't get it. :thumbsup:

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

The Martian ... 8/10. I don't give ratings above 8/10 so this is definitely a good movie. Not perfect ... just good!

If you havent seen the Red Letter Media reviews of Star Wars you should. Aside from the weird comments they explain a lot about why things went wrong.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Agreed. I don't get it. :thumbsup:

KT

It is great to meet another non-zombie! Sir, you have become my fav admin.

The movie just sucked ...

What does this say about the current state of world society? Either we are idiots ... we are utterly submissive and think that a pile of dog crap is great ...

Or, we have become zombies!

I think it is because we settle, settle for average or less. The movie was just such a mess. I mourn for the generations that will follow me ... people who will settle for whatever Disney or (fill in the blank) flushes down their toilet.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
If you havent seen the Red Letter Media reviews of Star Wars you should. Aside from the weird comments they explain a lot about why things went wrong.

Sir, does this explain why typically normal people would consider this movie to actually be "good"?

You say things went wrong ... but fail to explain why the hordes of zombies/idiots/morons (the general public) think this movie deserves to be considered "good" and worthy of the SW franchise.

Lucas created the franchise and built it into a powerhouse.

Lucas nearly destroyed the franchise with episodes 1-3 or whatever you wish to call the last three abominations.

Lucas then sold out to Disney, who lost their souls many years ago to the almighty dollar ... and produced this latest schlock.

The thing that concerns me is that the general public actually approves of this low-quality, B movie crap. Its scary ...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
"i dont like something everyone else does they must all be zombies/idiots/morons!!!"

that about sums up most threads on ATOT

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Watch out: I learned a long time ago that it's not OK to even consider it a 5.5 or 6 of 10 'round these parts.

You aren't allowed to have valid criticisms, even if you were OK with it.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sir, does this explain why typically normal people would consider this movie to actually be "good"?

You say things went wrong ... but fail to explain why the hordes of zombies/idiots/morons (the general public) think this movie deserves to be considered "good" and worthy of the SW franchise.

Lucas nearly destroyed the franchise with episodes 1-3 or whatever you wish to call the last three abominations.

Lucas then sold out to Disney, who lost their souls many years ago to the almighty dollar ... and produced this latest schlock.

The thing that concerns me is that the general public actually approves of this low-quality, B movie crap. Its scary ...

Watch it and find out, you BASTARD!

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

You thought he was talking about Episode I. Nope.

dud was talking about Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

I agree with dud. Movie was a 3. Total "meh."

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Shorty thought you were talking about Episode I:TPM. If I recall correctly, Shorty liked Episode VII:TFA.

I thought it was bad. Better than the prequels, but that's not saying much.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
"i dont like something everyone else does they must all be zombies/idiots/morons!!!"

that about sums up most threads on ATOT

You liked Transformers 4: Age of Extinction and practically everything Michael Bay shits out. I can't help it, but my mind actually puts a reverse filter on the movies you like and dislike. It works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.