NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 473 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
new xfiles (episode 3): 8/10
cute comedic episode + that push up bra makes scully look really good.

but I couldn't help thinking in the back of my mind why waste an episode on comedic relief?

it's a 6 episode run.
is the overall Illuminati story arc so short that they can add a filler?

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Bronson - Tom Hardy 9/10

My cousin didn't even know who he was, but every time I've seen Tom Hardy in a movie, I've been impressed, and this one is out of the park.

He plays a schizo criminal, sold as the 'based on a true story' of the most expensive prisoner in England, and marketed as the new Clockwork Orange. Not even close, but the comparison is apt.

It's free on Hoopla (just need a library card for this free Netflix-like service). I passed over it many times, and gave it a chance tonight and was pleasantly surprised.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
American Crime -- 9/10 -- Second season, two eps in. On ABC, of all places. Much of the same cast, in new roles in a completely different story.

It takes a deftly nuanced and truly in depth look at one "criminal incident" from all angles. Like the first season, not one character is monochromatically portrayed. Everyone is flawed to some extent. Each participant lies somewhere on the continuum between good and bad, like, you know, we all are in real life. ;)

The main take away is how inextricably and even tragically flawed our criminal justice system and everyone involved in it is, from the accused to the "injured" through the police and prosecutors and the yammering onlookers in the whole "social media" circus that surrounds a high profile case.

It takes an honest and unblinking look at class and race and institutional self-interest, and how they all interact when a crime is committed.

It's brilliant and as close to a real life look at how things go as you might find.

I fear that many, many of you here will find it "not fast-paced" enough, or something like that. In that case, be forewarned, this show is not for you.

American Crime just keeps getting better and better. It's the most thoroughly real thing in TV. Not only is the script amazing and the actors uniformly first rate, but the production -- the framing, the cuts, etc. -- is also prime. It's really good shit, Mrs. Kresge. ;)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
9/10 - Interstellar

Like 2 years late to the game but rented it for $0.99. It's amazing. Love the performances and how it's all based around a father-daughter relationship. Jessica Chastain said that in an interview during the media promotion tour, didn't really think much of it then. McConaughey was awesome.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Watched the first episode of Loius CK's new show 'Horace and Pete'

Had no idea what it was, but overall really enjoyed it- basically a televised/recorded play - great acting by pretty much everyone involved. I'd go 9/10 for the first episode, and I think the next one is coming out this weekend.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
new xfiles (episode 3): 8/10
cute comedic episode + that push up bra makes scully look really good.

but I couldn't help thinking in the back of my mind why waste an episode on comedic relief?

it's a 6 episode run.
is the overall Illuminati story arc so short that they can add a filler?

I got a kick out of it at any rate myself, I think they are still testing the waters there a bit and tossed one of those in there just for old times sake.

On a separate note.

Amy

I'll go 8.2/10

Yeah, a lot of people do not like Amy Winehouse, I always did, she can sing. Just watching her freak out around Tony Benet was interesting.

Watching things from when she was really young, well she wasn't vary old when she died anyway, and the way she was pursued by the press and melted down was a bit almost easy to understand.

And various other things like her father and husband. It's biased somewhat probably the way it was put together, but it is almost a painful documentary to watch, here and there.

Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't pick up the Oscar it is up for.

It's free on Amazon Prime atm.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Crying Game (1992) 9.5/10

Wasn't into it at first, there were super obvious flaws early on but it got better and in retrospect what bothered me early on (what struck me as sloppy filmmaking) was inconsequential.

Amazing, some twists I could not anticipate (that was by design) and I had to think that Neil Jordan (wrote, directed) was a major talent in creating this. I loved the ending! After I finished watching the DVD I went into Special Features and saw that there was an alternate ending. After a moment of hesitation I loaded that and there was a message to this effect:

In order to get funding for the making of the film, the writer/director Neil Jordan was prevailed upon to create a different ending. He did so and after filming, funding for the originally conceived ending was procured and that's the one that ultimately was included in the release version of the film.

After reading that I decided not to watch the alternate ending. I loved the original! I can't imagine why they didn't want that originally, don't want to know right now.

Last edited:

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Deadpool

SPOILERS

Whereas I thought this was just going to be another slash um up X-Men movie I was way wrong. Ryan Reynolds plays a cancer patients and is injected with X-Men serum. But unlike the other X-men movies, this is a comedy and lots of action. Yes, Stan Lee is in it as the disc jockey in a gentlemens club. Make sure to stay past the final credits as there is another scene with Deadpool that might have Samuel L. Jackson in it or not. I give this movie a 4 out of 5. Really fun from the very beginning to the very end. Good Job!!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Watched the first episode of Loius CK's new show 'Horace and Pete'

Had no idea what it was, but overall really enjoyed it- basically a televised/recorded play - great acting by pretty much everyone involved. I'd go 9/10 for the first episode, and I think the next one is coming out this weekend.

I watched it too. And honestly, I don't know WTH to rate it.
"Televised play" is the most perfect description to give it though.

Sep 29, 2004
OK, 5th wave is never going to be seen by this guy. Thanks for the comments.

Granted Jupiter Ascending is something I will see once I get my new receiver. It's supposed to be good at everything plot.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
OK, 5th wave is never going to be seen by this guy. Thanks for the comments.

Granted Jupiter Ascending is something I will see once I get my new receiver. It's supposed to be good at everything plot.

Jupiter Ascending horribly bad. It has some interesting visuals at times, but not enough to justify its existence.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Sweeney Todd - Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - haven't brought myself to finish watching it / 10

It's a musical. Why make a film with Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham Carter into a musical? This isn't necessarily a one-way ticket to low-rating city in my opinion (there are musicals that I'm quite fond of), but this film seems to be a case of "oh dear, we haven't got enough decent dialogue for half an hour, let alone an entire film... why don't we make it a musical?".

The other thing that really got my goat about this film was the god-awful CGI that was the opening credits.

I wanted to like this film; I wanted to see Alan Rickman really get his teeth into playing the villain again, but I don't know, being surprised that this film is a musical is like tuning into a documentary by David Attenborough and then suddenly everyone breaks into song, or perhaps they say "screw it, this is going to be a first-person shooter from now on"... it's just weird.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Sweeney Todd - Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - haven't brought myself to finish watching it / 10

It's a musical. Why make a film with Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham Carter into a musical? This isn't necessarily a one-way ticket to low-rating city in my opinion (there are musicals that I'm quite fond of), but this film seems to be a case of "oh dear, we haven't got enough decent dialogue for half an hour, let alone an entire film... why don't we make it a musical?".

The other thing that really got my goat about this film was the god-awful CGI that was the opening credits.

I wanted to like this film; I wanted to see Alan Rickman really get his teeth into playing the villain again, but I don't know, being surprised that this film is a musical is like tuning into a documentary by David Attenborough and then suddenly everyone breaks into song, or perhaps they say "screw it, this is going to be a first-person shooter from now on"... it's just weird.
For the most part, I hate musical movies. There are extremely few that I enjoy.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Musicals? I loved Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and one of the numbers from The Lion King ("Be Prepared"). I also loved Little Shop of Horrors (more Menkin/Ashman stuff, the movie soundtrack has a lot more that was cut from the film). I also like good old R&H musicals like "Oklahoma!" and "The Sound of Music."

I don't like *all* musicals. I tried to watch Les Miserables (Hugh Jackman / Russell Crowe / etc). I couldn't finish that garbage. I only made it less than halfway. I tried to watch "Into the Woods" and couldn't even get started. I saw a scene from "Rock of Ages" and felt seething rage toward the people responsible for making that.

Haven't seen Sweeney Todd, but I would probably hate it.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The only musicals I've liked are Repo: The Genetic Opera and Dr Horribles Singalong. I tried to watch Cannibal the Musical..but couldn't make it through it.

Oddly...I didn't mind Glee that much (wife was watching it so I caught quite a bit of it), but I like a few of the actors/actresses in it.

Beyond that meh...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I freaking hate musicals. I didn't mind West Side Story and Grease when I was a kid, but not sure how much I would like them now. I hate everything else.

KT

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
If you don't like "singing in the rain" you must be incapable of feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.