List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 452 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
Is Django a must watch prior to seeing this?
I don't think so. They aren't directly related to one another. Personally I preferred Django, though it actually had, for me, the same problem - there were a lot of great things in the movie but it was let down by its ending (really the entire final act of the film).

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Yes it is, should've mentioned that. Is the search different on gen3?
No Siri or universal search in previous generations. The only advantages 3rd gen had over other streaming devices was Apple ecosystem stuff. iTunes home sharing, iTunes Match, iCloud Photos, AirPlay, AirPlay Mirroring, iTunes digital copies (movies), etc. AirPlay was the big one.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think so. They aren't directly related to one another. Personally I preferred Django, though it actually had, for me, the same problem - there were a lot of great things in the movie but it was let down by its ending (really the entire final act of the film).
I agree mostly, except I like the endings to both movies, though I understand he could have ended them other ways which may possibly have improved the film(s).

Django is a lot more satisfying, its more fun to watch.

There is no real link or relationship or sequence between Django and Hateful.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Spectre (2015) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/reference
a few days back.

i really liked it; as opposed to the previous two films, which i thought were a bad Bourne Identity/Mission Impossible imitation.

genuine Bond-style humour, which to me is 90% of the Bond saga, modernized without making it bad. Excellent Bond villain, sort-of-weak ending .. i mean, the part where he infiltrates the villain's lair; but aside from that, really solid film, and Daniel Craig was less grim and more charming, like every Bond is supposed to be. The women were more believable as well.
Solid plot, nice direction, nice camera work, nice interior + exterior shots, and the action is realistic and not over-the-top stupid, yet still with a touch of Bond. (i mean .. they made the airplane sequence believable)
However, the old films still had more class.

well worth a watch, expecially if the price is your friend comes over with a DVD and you pay nothing.

7.5/10 - a fun film that does not disappoint.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
also, Colony (tv)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4209256/reference

first off, i applaud the choice of casting new actors (in what looks like an expensive show); i'm tired of always seeing the same faces.
the lead Josh Holloway looks like is going to be the weakest part of the show, stone faced as he is, and acting out of a 1980s arnold swartzenegger book.
but, the female lead, Sarah Wayne Callies, seems a lot more capable, hopefully the high point of the show, and she's as involved (if not more) in as her male counterpart.

also Doctor Taulb (Big Nose Jacobson) is in it; not sure he fits the part, but he was spectacular in House and i'm willing to give him a shot.

as far as i can tell from one, not particularly revealing episode, the characters are in a alien-occupied US, although the aliens don't show themselves. and it's a near-future, say, 2025.

apparently the main plot is

the lead has an interest in finding his missing son; this is because the aliens have isolated every city in the US, possibly the world, because of "order". he also happens to be one of the few ex-military-trained people left alive (because of cleansing of dangerous people), but now they need him.

"they" who?

well, since the aliens don't show themselves, they use human collaborators (the new "government") to do their dirty work. and right now, they need the lead to find, infiltrate and destroy the resistance.

thing is .. he IS the resistance. and so is his wife.

so they become double agents, in this futuristic dystopia.

gotta say, a pretty decent setup for a show. the show seems to lack a strong lead (again, i'm thinking House ... or Elementary .. or Sherlock..), but i will be watching; also the fact that they decide to NOT tell you everything in episode 1 is giving me hope this will be a good show.

7.5/10

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
one more minor plot hole about the Hateful Eight:

Why didn't the hangman complain when the
bounty hunter said he was going to dump his gun down the shit hole?
I can understand him not putting up any resistance when they first asked for his gun because he thought he was going to get it back.
i knew something was wrong

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
one more minor plot hole about the Hateful Eight:

Why didn't the hangman complain when the
bounty hunter said he was going to dump his gun down the shit hole?
I can understand him not putting up any resistance when they first asked for his gun because he thought he was going to get it back.
i knew something was wrong
i assumed because he knew they had previously stashed guns all over the cabin so NBD

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i assumed because he knew they had previously stashed guns all over the cabin so NBD
but if you're just a normal person, you would have said "wait a min" or something along those lines when you found out your property wasn't going to be returned to you

Last edited:

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
The Revenant 8/10. (9/10 if I wasn't forced to hear his breath for 75% of the movie)

Straight Outta Compton 6.5/10

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Daddy's Home ... ?

Were they kidding?
This is one of the worse movies of 2015 - 2016. And 2016 just began.
Really, I don't have a clue how Will Ferrell keeps making movies.
His movies are awful and he is never funny.
Most of these SNL people are pretty awful when it comes to transferring from the small screen and SNL to the big screen.
Eddie Murphy bombed. Will Ferrell isn't worth mentioning. And Tina Fey, Amy Poehler might think they are funny but they are not.
Off hand the only film using one of the SNL crew that was maybe ok was NEBRASKA.
Might be one or two other SNL cast that did a so so performance in a film but never as or in the lead role.
Even Chevy Chase kind of fizzled out and died away.

But, Daddy's Home? Just terrible.
Any film that loses its way, kind of goes nowhere with no where to go, always revert to the old reliable crowd scene in attempts to save the day. Which always fails.
In Daddy's Home its on the basketball court.
In Ghostbusters II (or was it III), the parade scene.
You know there is trouble afoot when the crowd from some public event is called in to steer a film out of the black hole it fell into.

PS,
Maybe there is one SNL character that is worthy of praise transforming onto the big screen. That would be Bill Murray.
But Murray was the exception who was probably to good for SNL in the first place.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Daddy's Home ... ?

Were they kidding?
Most of these SNL people are pretty awful when it comes to transferring from the small screen and SNL to the big screen.
Eddie Murphy bombed. Will Ferrell isn't worth mentioning. And Tina Fey, Amy Poehler might think they are funny but they are not.
Off hand the only film using one of the SNL crew that was maybe ok was NEBRASKA.
Might be one or two other SNL cast that did a so so performance in a film but never as or in the lead role.

Any film that loses its way, kind of goes nowhere with no where to go, always revert to the old reliable crowd scene in attempts to save the day. Which always fails.
You know there is trouble afoot when the crowd from some public event is called in to steer a film out of the black hole it fell into.

PS,
Maybe there is one SNL character that is worthy of praise transforming onto the big screen. That would be Bill Murray.
But Murray was an exception who was probably to good for SNL in the first place.
Like..that's just your opinion man.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Daddy's Home ... ?

Were they kidding?

PS,
But Murray was the exception who was probably to good for SNL in the first place.
so why do you keep paying to watch them? you paying for them is why he keeps making them, because they make money.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Will Ferrel did Anchorman, so he's ok by me. and he will be Mugatu in 2oolander, which i predict will not suck (6.5/10).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Bowfinger was shit, and after that I stopped looking forward to Eddie Murphy films.

He's good in Shrek, so apparently voice acting in someone elses movie is better than him making his own.
Same goes for Mike Meyers.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Bowfinger was shit, and after that I stopped looking forward to Eddie Murphy films.

He's good in Shrek, so apparently voice acting in someone elses movie is better than him making his own.
Same goes for Mike Meyers.
you shut your whore mouth

ASK THE COMMUNITY