NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 432 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
It was pretty decent - I agree with a 7/10 rating.

I'm usually pretty good at turning off the "science" part of my brain when watching these, but I had a hard time with Antman. They specifically said that he retained his weight/mass when he was small, which is why he had such strength (~180lbs with 1cm area.) They showed tiles cracking when he fell on them, etc.

THEN THEY PUT HIM ON TOP OF A FLYING ANT.

Yes, bugs are strong. No, they aren't "fly/crawl with ~200lbs on your back" strong. :mad:

I had a problem with this too ... he's cracking tiles, falling through floors, etc ... but then after falling through a floor, he lands on a spinning vinyl record without a hiccup.

At least have some consistency.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I had a problem with this too ... he's cracking tiles, falling through floors, etc ... but then after falling through a floor, he lands on a spinning vinyl record without a hiccup.

At least have some consistency.
With the increase in the use of CGI and the decrease in how much computing power costs, movies are moving more and more into the realm of anime. That means that cartoon physics will be used at an increasing rate.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It was pretty decent - I agree with a 7/10 rating.

I'm usually pretty good at turning off the "science" part of my brain when watching these, but I had a hard time with Antman. They specifically said that he retained his weight/mass when he was small, which is why he had such strength (~180lbs with 1cm area.) They showed tiles cracking when he fell on them, etc.

THEN THEY PUT HIM ON TOP OF A FLYING ANT.

Yes, bugs are strong. No, they aren't "fly/crawl with ~200lbs on your back" strong. :mad:

You know, Superman can't pick up two big trucks by their bumpers or axles and swing them around to smash a bad guy between them either. The bumpers/axles would tear right off and his feet would punch through the asphalt.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
You know, Superman can't pick up two big trucks by their bumpers or axles and swing them around to smash a bad guy between them either. The bumpers/axles would tear right off and his feet would punch through the asphalt.

It has been well established in Superman geekdom that anything Superman picks up gets a portion of his super invulnerability allowing him to manipulate it without breaking it. Also he is probably not picking up the truck by it's bumper so much as giving it the ability to fly. Also Superman's feet don't punch through the ground because he is always flying. Earths Gravity does not affect him like it does normal people.

Last edited:

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Creed - 9/10 - I don't enjoy boxing or ultimate fighting but I got to choose one of three movies to see for free. This movie I would of paid money to see. The plot was predicable but it was that good.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
With the increase in the use of CGI and the decrease in how much computing power costs, movies are moving more and more into the realm of anime. That means that cartoon physics will be used at an increasing rate.
With that increase in computing power, it seems like they could utilize physics processors (software and/or hardware) to make it just the opposite, more realistic.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Planes, Trains and Automobiles 6/10

Middle of the road comedy, I expected more with these two as the leads. John Candy was the best. I liked it but nothing special at all

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
In the Heart of the Sea

SPOILERS BELOW (In theaters Dec 11)

The new Ron Howard movie about Moby Dick.

I did not like it. It was supposed to be a true story but had illogical actions all the way through. For example, everyone knows when you have a Sail Boat, you lower the sails when there is a storm. They left up the sails.

The odd twist to this movie is cannibalism. After the main ship sinks, the crew are out on their life boats with very little food. Let me ask you. If you are in the middle of the ocean with very little food what do you do? Do you start looking at others on the life boat thinking how you can’t wait until they die so you can eat them or do you take a scrap of food and start fishing for something to eat? Seems they never thought of fishing or bringing a net to fish for food. Really!? These are experienced sailors and fisherman? To me it was obvious why they couldn’t catch the whale; because, they couldn’t even catch any little fish to eat!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Here's another odd ball one that is on Amazon Prime.

I really got a kick out of it, one of those that some might not like nearly as well.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2113681/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5

8.7/10

It's Swedish, and has Subtitles and English, think of i.e. Inglorious Basterds.

Think of Snatch/Forest Gump/Grand Budapset hybrid, and keeps the dark comedy turned up pretty high. One of the funnier things I've watched myself in awhile. The guy that played Brick Top (Alan Ford) is even the main baddie.

The wife loved it even, she is not usually into movies like this that I like. She was even raving at her sister on the phone to watch it afterwards.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Homme Less
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4164462/reference

the story of a man who lives in NYC, working as a photographer, occasional actor, trying to make it into the fashion world. twist: he is "homeless", and lives under a tarpaulin on a building rooftop.
twist: he isn't poor. why he would want to be homeless is beyond me. by his own admission, it's just to save on the rent.

insipid theme, and uncharismatic lead. i also personally hate the fashion world, and this guy trying to suck up to people i despise made this film an agonizing experience for me.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
mockingjay pt2 - 6/10

not a hunger game fanatic or whatsoever but the gf seems to like these type of movies so off we went. I thought it was boring like the other HG movies, but this one had quite a lot of action from start to end (ok maybe not the start part since i did doze off for about 15-20min). Acting is pretty much along the line with Twilight (yes, i was also succumbed to watching the whole series).

6/10

I just saw it this past weekend.

I was hoping you were wrong since I enjoyed the other movies (I was told there were 4 in total, wow...shows how much of a fan I was. I thought there were only 3).

Was pretty confusing since I didn't remember the last movie at all. A lot of the plot twists were cliche at best, and downright confusing in some sections.

Sad to see the series go out on a bad, halfassed note...but oh well.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
6/10

I just saw it this past weekend.

I was hoping you were wrong since I enjoyed the other movies (I was told there were 4 in total, wow...shows how much of a fan I was. I thought there were only 3).

Was pretty confusing since I didn't remember the last movie at all. A lot of the plot twists were cliche at best, and downright confusing in some sections.

Sad to see the series go out on a bad, halfassed note...but oh well.

I've come to despise the Hollywood trend of splitting the final chapter of movie series' into 2 movies. It was a perfect example of what should have been one movie being bloated to make more money.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I had an odd observation this weekend. My wife and I have been rewatching the LotR extended editions. Previously, we were watching them on a plasma, and they looked ... like 15 year-old CGI. It was actually distracting to me. This weekend, we watched the Two Towers on our projector, and the CGI looked just fine. To me, it actually looked better. It's almost like those movies were MEANT to be projected. Or maybe it's the loss of detail or something from a plasma to a projector. I dunno. I've never noticed that with anything else we've watched on there. It was just weird.

San Andreas -- 6/10
I like Paul Giamatti and uh ... Carla Gugino :wub: ... and I don't even mind Dwayne Johnson. If you take this movie for what it is, it's entertaining. Just don't look too far into the story or try to figure out why
the girl's legs are super-crushed in the car, yet she's able to run/walk just fine immediately afterward
or why
this massively destructive earthquake happens and cell towers are still functioning, because even if they were, they'd be overloaded, but hey she needs to talk to her dad, right?
and then
the earth has massive holes in it, yet the once underground phone lines are perfectly functional
or why
the rock has mad boat-driving skills is one of many boats trying to get over the tsunami wave before it crests, and they all get swallowed up except for the rock because their boat can totally go vertical.

As purely a mindless, over-the-top display of buildings falling over and giant cracks in the earth with the rock doing rock things, it's good.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Almost Anything http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727770/reference

Simon Pegg (shaun of the dead/hot fuzz/that one with the alien) becomes god. kinda.
Much like Bruce Almighty, having superpowers does more harm than good, in this weird semi-romcom with much talking dog and way too many out of place cameos.

had a couple solid laughs, would recommend, but me personally i thought the casting director should be shot. and sodomized. sodomized and then shot, in that order.

6/10

Hopeless

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2004
let me guess, you watched Army Of Darkness, and the ending, is the one where he sleeps for too long?
yeah that's BS. the real ending (the one they went to the theaters with) is badass and will add at least 1 point to that score.

afaik, they went with that ending for all subsequent releases. i would think if he watched it off of Netflix, then it must be the DVD version, not the theatrical release.

and yes, on the DVD the "Rip Van Winkle" ending is the standard one; the classic one (give me some sugar baby/hardware store fight) is now the "alternate" ending.

Hm, strange. The copy I had years ago only had the sleeping ending as a bonus clip.

It's been a while but IIRC the over sleeping ending is what Raimi wanted but the studio or someone else wanted a happier ending.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Went on a binge this weekend....

San Andreas - 5/10 - not as bad as I thought it would be, but really wasn't anything special. The Day After Tomorrow was better IMO. The daughter was smoking though. Yum.

The Final Girls - 8/10 - An odd little horror comedy that is sort of a spoof on 80's slasher flicks..specifically Friday the 13th. It is done pretty smartly and has some known people in it, but I didn't feel they took it as far as they could have. Has some funny moments and Adam DeVine is in it as his normal Workaholics self.

Clinger - 8/10 - Another odd horror / dark comedy about 2 high schoolers in love. Accidents happen and then things get really weird. It's got some pretty funny characters and moments.

The Visit - 7/10 - I actually enjoyed this. The twist was easy to see, but otherwise it had some entertainment and the little boy was pretty funny and the grandparents pretty damn creepy.

Leviathan - 6/10 - (the old horror movie) I remember loving this as a kid, but it doesn't stand up as well as some of the other "Alien/The Thing" movies.

Super Mansion - 10/10
(Crackle - TV show) - Awesome Robot Chicken type superhero show. All the stereotypes and offenses are here

Maze Runner 2: Scorch Trials - 3/10 - I really enjoyed the first one. Much more than any of the other teen drama moves as of late (ie Hunger Games, The Host, etc). This movie though, wow...completely pointless. Turned it into just another zombie movie (which you don't even know that's what it is in the first one at all). No character development, just..nothing redeeming about it. Not sure I care about the next one.

Pixels - 6/10 - I don't know if it is the nostalgia, or that Adam Sandler isn't nearly as annoying in this as he is in everything else, but we both enjoyed this much more than we thought we would given the reviews. I think this movie only suits a few types of people because yes it is indeed a really stupid movie, but it is fun.

Ashe vs. The Evil Dead - 10/10 (Starz - TV show) - Only 6 episodes out so far, but wow this is everything a fan of the franchise could ask for. It leans way more towards the first and second and doesn't hold back or pull punches. Wish the episodes were longer, but that probably helps in keeping them from slowing down and getting boring.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
isn't it the girl from season 1 of true detective?

OMG you're right :) It all makes sense now. On that note, I wonder if these women ever google image themselves. I would be creeped the f^ck out not by the real ones, but by all the fake chopped images...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.