NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 400 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
eh.. i don't share the same opinion.

pitch black 8/10
chronicles 7/10 (theatrical)
riddick 5/10

chronicles was changed for dvd, some lines were altered, don't know why. most notable, on the final scene as the lord marshall is trying to rip out his soul, riddick shouts "NEVAH!!". a fierce, raging "never" that alone makes the ending so much better.

in the dvd release the changed it to "fuck you", and a totally phoned in one as well, making the last scene much worse.

riddick was ok for the first half hour, but the right-out-of gears of war mercenaries totally ruined it for me.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Went this weekend to see Alleluia! The Devil's Carnival 2 along with a live Q&A with the director Darren Bousman, writer/actor Terrance Zdunich, and actor (of Rocky Horror Fame) Barry Bostwick. I was somewhat disappointed with the show, overall I thought it narratively weak. The original show had a very tight narrative, hardly a scene was wasted. This show seemed to be all over the place. There are major characters that have no plot purpose at all. The Watchword is a good example, the character played by Barry Bostwick has no real point in the show but was given several scenes to himself, including a full musical number.

Some of my disappointment can probably be chalked up to the truly poor choice of venue for this performance. The movie, and subsequent talk by the cast, was held in a dance hall with poor air conditioning, and where the audience sat on plastic folding chairs on a flat floor. There were several live performances to entertain the audience while they waited, but because they were performed on a flat floor in a tightly packed room, was only able to be seen by the front few rows. The movie itself was projected on a screen barely above the heads of the front row, and with a sound system that is designed to pump out dance music at maximum volume.

Alleluia! The Devil's Carnival 2 – Move: 6/10, Venue: 1/10

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Ant Man 7/10 - Not bad but not in the same league as Spiderman with Tobey or even with the Avengers movies.

Hitman 47 - 7/10. Did have some good fight sequences, better than the one a few years ago with Timothy Olyphant (Justified TV fame). I think the lead male and female actors look a bit older than the characters they played. Bonus point because a good scene of boobies in white shirt with no bra and the city (Singapore) was nice looking.

American Ultra - 6/10. Tried so hard but not good enough. Did remind me of Terminator 1, Oldboy (Korea movie) in some of the fight scenes.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Anime:
Gankutsuou (The Count of Monte Cristo) 8/10

an adaption of the classic book 'The Count of Monte Carlo' set in the future complete with Mechs!

I've watched 3 episodes out of 24 so far.
love the animation of their clothing.

-1 for the stereotypical naïve boy story line (so far).

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Survivors Remorse -- 8.5/10 -- Sleeper comedy of the year on Starz. This is it's second season, but this is the first time I've become aware of it.

I thought it wouldn't be any good, actually deleted what I'd recorded, and started to watch Blunt Talk, also on Starz, which apparently features Patrick Stewart as a drunken reprobate. :biggrin:

A promo for Survivors Remorse came on first. It piqued my interest and I undeleted this season's first 2 eps. I was glad I did.

The first ep was good, the 2nd was better!

There's a scene the 2nd one where the g/f and mother of a relatively newly minted NBA star (yeah, I thought the premise might really suck, too) are in a judge's chambers together with the team's owner and the baller's agent where the dialog is as good as it gets -- think Aaron Sorkin crisp but in the vernacular.

The relationship between the egotistical white owner and the young black player has already evolved in just 2 eps. That's some subtle character development game right there, son.

Starz. Who knew?

I still haven't watched any of Blunt Talk. But if the writing and characterization are as good as SR, dayum. We'll see.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
The Wall - Berlin International Film Festival Winner - German 9/10

Stephen King's 'Dome' in another context. A woman goes out for holiday to a remote hunting cabin with friends, only to find the next day there is a 'wall' around the area that nothing can pass, and interesting phenomena on what she can see.

I like this personal approach to being 'captured' in an invisible prison by yourself instead of being with others. The cinematography is gorgeous, the situations compelling, and the music outstanding (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KaYzgofHjc).

Think it is 'Die Yard' (?). Martina Gedeck. See it.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Did to a drive in, and stayed till the end. I have never hear that many F word during a 7hrs period.

Straight Outta Compton - 7/10
Don't know the background and not a fan of rap but it is a good movie.

American Ultra - 6/10
homeless Jason Bourne

Ted 2 - 4/10
F, pot and more pot. Amanda is the only reason I stay till the end.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I never saw the first movies. But I am 39 so I remember the era of great action movies that were the 80s and early 90s. I simply found Mad Maxx to be an amazing action movie. And I had a great appreciation for the fact that someone made an 80s era style action movie and nailed it. Take away the action though and it was a pretty dumb movie.

NOTE: When the blu ray comes out, we are having a small party at my house to watch it. Just finished my dual 18" subs ;-)

I have two of these now:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...challenge-design-24-hours-3.html#post36502738

Rocking it atm. :biggrin:

Zoom zoom.

It's a glorious mess.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Anime:

an adaption of the classic book 'The Count of Monte Carlo'
Monte Carlo

monte-carlo-09.jpg

Monte Cristo

Monte-Cristo-5-1024x556.png

spot the difference

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Seems it was intended to be a bit of a break the mold and go old school without a lot of CGI to begin with.

Mission Accomplished.

If breaking the mold is falling in the grade school writing chasm 97 out of every 100 feature films luxuriate in, the mold must be somewhat fragile.

$100,000,000 of eye candy for people who's eyes don't plug into anything.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
On a lighter note.

Edge of Tomorrow 10/10

Utterly unexpected! Groundhog Day meets The War of the Worlds ...and a so rare good use of Bill Paxton.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Straight Outta Compton -- 6/10

Meh. They sure made themselves look like saints in this. It was interesting, mildly entertaining at points. Giamotti's role was confusing -- was he the hero or the villain? Was I was supposed to applaud him for standing up for them, or hate him for manipulating them?

Worth the watch, but I do not understand the accolades this movie is getting.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Mr. Robot - 9/10

Rock solid. It goes over the top a few times and has me scratching my head a few times, all in all it's wildy entertaining. Love the stylistic direction of the whole thing -- goes to show there are still some inventive minds left in Hollywood (and people willing to gamble on those minds too). Acting is generally solid (some secondary characters are painful to watch)

Sep 29, 2004
Straight Outta Compton -- 6/10

Meh. They sure made themselves look like saints in this. It was interesting, mildly entertaining at points. Giamotti's role was confusing -- was he the hero or the villain? Was I was supposed to applaud him for standing up for them, or hate him for manipulating them?

Worth the watch, but I do not understand the accolades this movie is getting.

Did you notice that the movie didn't focus on a "lead character" and there was no romantic interest. They had to make the movie end
with the death of Easy-E. And I have to tell you, I couldn't have cared less.

It was pure documentary. As a drama, it isn't one.

Sep 29, 2004
On a lighter note.

Edge of Tomorrow 10/10

Utterly unexpected! Groundhog Day meets The War of the Worlds ...and a so rare good use of Bill Paxton.

This was 10/10 about 90% in. Sadly, the end of the movie slowed down and to be honest ... the story kinda went to crap. The end was still fine, but the last 10% of the movie was more of a 6/10.

Overall though: 9/10
On a good home theater: 9.5/10

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
A Million Ways to Die In the West - 6.5/10

Enjoyable enough, better than I thought it would be. Jumps between modern old west commentary and a love triangle. Lots of culture references. Basically a Family Guy musical episode in comedy western form.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Saw "Whiplash" last night. Very good movie and a well deserved Oscar for JK.

9/10

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
The Raid 2

All kinds of awesome martial arts madness. Very bloody, and about as good as it gets in the acting photography and editing departments. Many of the stunts will make you cringe. Story seems to be somewhat lacking, but I have no clue if it has any cohesive ties to The Raid, which I have not seen, so I could be handicapped here.

7/10 overall 9/10 for the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.