NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I need to sit my ass down and watch Seven Samurai. The only problem is I feel like I need to buy a new TV and couch to perfect the experience

You could be sitting on a cold concrete floor watching it on a 7 inch black and white CRT with horribly faded contrast, and it would still be an awesome movie.

Yes, it's awesome if you have a nice theater setup, but, a nice theater setup is not necessary to enjoy a great movie :)

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Boy, there are still quite a few I need to see as well. I'm hoping to get to TTSS over the four day weekend. Should still see Ides of March, Midnight in Paris, The Descendants, and Moneyball too, plus War Horse comes out this week.

Anyway, my list right now would probably be:

1. Tyrannosaur
2. Drive
3. Martha Marcy May Marlene
4. The Artist
5. Tree of Life
6. Senna
7. 50/50
8. Without
9. Melancholia
10. I Saw The Devil

Honourable mentions: The Interrupters, Beauty Day, Happy People, Hanna, Kill List, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The El Bulli Doc, The Paul Liebrandt Doc, Four Lions, Bill Cunningham New York, X-Men First Class, Super 8, The Conan O'Brien doc., The Trip.

I think that covers most of the stuff I've loved from this year so far.

KT

Huh good to know Tyrannosaur is good. It's high on my list to watch.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Here are some streaming picks I 5-star'd. Not from 2011 of course ;) I won't list anything too well known.

Le Cercle Rouge
13 Assassins
The Chaser
Mafioso
Four Lions
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

ok, a couple classics in case you haven't seen:
The Third Man
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Killing
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Hustler

Six

Feb 29, 2000
Faces in the Crowd - 0/10
Melodrama for the mentally challenged. Movie uses plenty of cheap tricks to keep the you going, unless you've already figured it out halfway through the movie. Don't get conned to watch this for Milla Jovowich. It ain't worth it.

The Loved Ones - 8/10 maybe 9/10
This one surprised me. It's like Prom Night meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a hint of Napoleon Dynamite....kinda. It was squeamishly interesting.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The Loved Ones - 8/10 maybe 9/10
This one surprised me. It's like Prom Night meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a hint of Napoleon Dynamite....kinda. It was squeamishly interesting.

Haven't seen this, but turns out the white hooker from Hell on Wheels is in it.

Reviews I've read of it are just batshit crazy insane.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
The Graduate - 8.5/10
Never got around to watching this before now. Very good movie. Generally disliked Hoffman's character. He was pretty much the same character as Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye, only better executed. Love Simon and Garfunkel, but the soundtrack got a bit repetitive.

Dead Snow - 6.5/10
Watched the dubbed version. Dialogue was weak, but the overall movie was still "fun" in that horror-movie kinda way. Very "Evil Dead" feeling.

Atlas Shrugged - Part I - 3/10
I enjoyed the book. I actually read it a second time, immediately after finishing for the first time. The change of setting (but keeping the RR theme,) really did not work for the film. The whole thing felt rushed, as in, "Hey, this was in the book, say it! OK, now the next thing from the book! Go, go, go!" Much too fast-paced for the material, and didn't really convey any meaning. Forgettable acting. Very, "meh.."

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
So, The Darkest Hour comng on Dec 25 has no reviews yet. So, it will be that bad?

And I have a question. There is a foreign movie about two sects of vampires. A good and bad sect. A Jesus like girl that is maybe 12 exists and depending on what side she chooses determiens the fate of the world.

I think that is the plot but can not recall what it is called. I think it was on Netflix Streaming a few months ago. Anyone recall this one?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Cave of Forgotten Dreams

6/10. This is a documentary about a cave in France that has some of the oldest cave paintings ever found. The 1st 30-45 minutes are awesome, but the movie loses steam and starts getting repetitive. It's like the director really only had enough material for a great 45 minute movie, but then started padding it out so it would be feature-length.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I'm not going to give the most eloquent review, but why not.

Hugo - 9/10 - I didn't read the book and didn't go in with a whole lot of expectations, but after a bit of a slow start it turned out to be great. Scorsese did a fantastic job, and the acting was great. Chloe Grace Moretz (Kick-Ass) in particular I thought was awesome, she's going to be a star. The girlfriend had read the book and also really enjoyed it - I don't think much changed in the story.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Not sure if I've seen this one, is it the one with the real Santa Clause at the mall? I absolutely hate the other one with zombie Jimmy Stewart.

KT

It's a Wonderful Life - 2/10:
What. The. Fuck.

95% RT
The holiday classic to define all holiday classics, It's a Wonderful Life is one of a handful of films worth an annual viewing.

Roger Ebert
What is remarkable about It's a Wonderful Life is how well it holds up over the years; it's one of those ageless movies, like Casablanca or The Third Man, that improves with age.

Fuck you both very much. KT you were right, this movie is TERRIBLE. Girlfriend convinced me to watch it tonight, and damn it was painful. 2 hours 10 minutes of boring. Stupid and nearly plotless with almost no emotion. Pretty shitty acting too. Not one redeeming quality that I could see.

I just don't understand people enjoying this thing. Maybe some people dislike it because of it's themes, but I just thought it was a painfully bad movie.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Equilibrium 4/10

Am I missing something here? Heard so many people say that this was a good movie but it felt like I've seen this hundreds of times already with no variation at all. Plus all the fight sequences were ripped off from 80's action movies where one guy easily kills 50 guys at once. Even the ending fight was horrible. I guess I just don't get it. Maybe I'm getting cynical at my old age like South Park.

Sep 29, 2004
Equilibrium 4/10

Am I missing something here? Heard so many people say that this was a good movie but it felt like I've seen this hundreds of times already with no variation at all. Plus all the fight sequences were ripped off from 80's action movies where one guy easily kills 50 guys at once. Even the ending fight was horrible. I guess I just don't get it. Maybe I'm getting cynical at my old age like South Park.

I read alot about that movie and thought i would love it. So I actually bought it. I did not even get through it because it was so bad. I gave it a away to a co-worker. $20 lost.

So yes, you are correct. The movie is a steaming pile of dog crap. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Now some people do like it. This is a love/hate film I think. You either love it or hate it.

Equilibrium 0/10

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
12% rating on Rotten Tomatoes?

It's Patranus. He'd give a 10/10 to Nazi propaganda. There's a segment of the population that likes that sort of thing.
110296.jpg

The rest of us have better things to do.

Are you going to check out part 2?

No plans to. (Didn't even know there was a part 2)
The French Connection had great cinematography but the movie itself is dated. I'm not interested in seeing more the same.

Last edited:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The Unborn - 7/10: horror flick with decent storyline though it's been done before. Good visual effects, and... full Odette Yustman (Cloverfield) cameltoe. Score. Talk about a Merry Christmas.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Tree of Life - 8/10 (I think)

I'm still thinking about this one. I enjoyed almost every moment of the film, yet I couldn't imagine sitting through it again anytime soon. Does that even make sense? Constantly beautiful, almost every shot - from the creation of the universe, to an evening dinner at the table.

The grown-up kid (Penn, I assume) seemed almost forced, if not necessary. "Walking through the doorway" felt almost groan-worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.