NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 302 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Really? I think it's great; it's just a fantasy book, like Lord of the Rings or whatever, so it is perfect for a big movie or franchise. Just need the right people doing it.

I still need to see Noah since I do love Aranofsky. :hmm:

KT

I'd suggest not wasting your time. I too love Aronofsky's films (well, normally), but Noah was crap.

Sep 29, 2004
Everyone laugh at me!

I have never sat thrown Spaceballs. Bit and pieces but that is it.

I think I might watch Episodes 4-6 over break with my kids. Then watch Spaceballs.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Byzanthium - 4/10

NOT a vampire film. rather, a romantic drama about a young girl who walks in the sun, bathes in running water, makes friends & falls in love, and very, very rarely drinks some blood.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
You obviously love Family Guy because those are the only people that would enjoy this movie. Seth MacFarlane's jokes got old years ago.

I really enjoyed Ted. Probably, because minus the not being as good looking and more well off, I identified a lot with Marky Mark's character. I love Flash Gordon!

May 11, 2008
Guardians of the galaxy 9/10

I had a fun time.
Only one thing though, how long can a human survive in open space ? And what about ice crystals forming in the cells, puncturing cell walls ?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I really enjoyed Ted. Probably, because minus the not being as good looking and more well off, I identified a lot with Marky Mark's character. I love Flash Gordon!

i liked ted but a million ways to die in the west was terrible.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
No reviews of Gone Girl?

Gone Girl 8/10: Holy shit. I liked it a lot. It was a crazy psycho thriller indeed. I don't want to get into the story, any bit would be a spoiler. I haven't seen a movie that's been as refreshing as this which kept me gripping to my seat.

The wife and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

I had a fun time.
Only one thing though, how long can a human survive in open space ? And what about ice crystals forming in the cells, puncturing cell walls ?

It varies depending on which movie you watch, but uh...did you miss the ending where he is half human and half ancient god? That and...it's fiction with super power people..

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Byzanthium - 4/10

NOT a vampire film. rather, a romantic drama about a young girl who walks in the sun, bathes in running water, makes friends & falls in love, and very, very rarely drinks some blood.

So, like Let Me In, but less boring?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
No reviews of Gone Girl?

Gone Girl 8/10: Holy shit. I liked it a lot. It was a crazy psycho thriller indeed. I don't want to get into the story, any bit would be a spoiler. I haven't seen a movie that's been as refreshing as this which kept me gripping to my seat.

The wife and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Might watch tonight haven't yet.

The wife wanted to the other night and I wasn't in the mood.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Everyone laugh at me!

I have never sat thrown Spaceballs. Bit and pieces but that is it.

I think I might watch Episodes 4-6 over break with my kids. Then watch Spaceballs.

It's hard to go wrong with Mel Brooks, but it's getting dated too I guess even with all the old great one liners.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

I had a fun time.

The cold is not really the problem in space, it is the low pressure. Since space is a near vacuum there simply is not much there to whisk away your body heat, so you radiate it way slowly, but the decompression will kill you. I think a person could survive a few minutes in space, but they would be in pretty bad shape afterwards.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Nightcrawler: 7.5/10 - Jake Gyllenhaal is an incredible actor and easily carried the entire film. His matter-of-fact delivery in this movie can both give you the creeps and keep your attention at the same time.
But what transpired from near beginning to end was pretty hard to swallow. I don't care if you're a struggling network news channel - that stuff never actually makes it on air. The lengthy take on the triple homicide on-air with play-by-play was also laughable. And what about trampling all over the crime scenes - cops didn't seem too concerned with that? What about letting him wander about and leave the scene of the crime (like when his partner died) without being stopped or questioned?

When the cops approached the restaurant at the end, didn't they notice there was some shifty character with a camera right across the street standing there - or a car with an occupant staring them down? When first-responding cops walk into a place with suspected killers inside, are they supposed to act like they're unaware and turn their backs on them? Two additional cops walk in without weapons drawn - obviously they WILL give everything away the moment they step in and hell WILL break lose - why weren't they ready and why didn't they take control of the situation before the killers did? Just a lot to suspend disbelief for.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
agreed.

/patiently waits for Prometheus DC. :(

Same myself, I didn't understand all the Prometheus hate was to begin with, but I've always been a Scott fan since I saw the original Alien when it came out.

That was about as ball busting at the time as The Exorcist.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Nightcrawler: 7.5/10 - Jake Gyllenhaal is an incredible actor and easily carried the entire film. His matter-of-fact delivery in this movie can both give you the creeps and keep your attention at the same time.
But what transpired from near beginning to end was pretty hard to swallow. I don't care if you're a struggling network news channel - that stuff never actually makes it on air. The lengthy take on the triple homicide with play-by-play was also laughable. And what about trampling all over the crime scenes - cops didn't seem too concerned with that? What about letting him wander about and leave the scene of the crime (like when his partner died) without being stopped or questioned? When the cops approached the restaurant at the end, didn't they notice there was some shifty character with a camera right across the street standing there - or a car with an occupant staring them down? Just a lot to suspend disbelief for.

I'd be hard pressed to say 8 I'm splitting hairs.

I liked it and say a 7.75 :)

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Same myself, I didn't understand all the Prometheus hate was to begin with, but I've always been a Scott fan since I saw the original Alien when it came out.

That was about as ball busting at the time as The Exorcist.
Because Prometheus was full of plot holes galore, it didn't feel complete. Plot holes is just the tip of the iceberg. I love Ridley Scott as well but there's just so much wrong with that movie.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

I had a fun time.

It wasn't open space. There was a thin atmosphere that was making his hair move.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Because Prometheus was full of plot holes galore, it didn't feel complete. Plot holes is just the tip of the iceberg. I love Ridley Scott as well but there's just so much wrong with that movie.

Yeah I know, but sometimes ya gotta look the other way a little bit and just go with it I guess.

Hard to do these days.

But of course you have things like Twilight and Transformers get away with it and make money.

:thumbsup:

Watched Team America last nite just for grins and giggles after the SONY thing, I've had "America, Fuck Ya" in my head all day :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.