NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
[REC] - 8/10 Wow I was on the edge of my seat toward the end of this. I'd never seen the "found footage" style so well done.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Following - 8/10:
Christopher Nolan's first feature length film. It had a $6,000 budget according to imdb(don't read the synopsis there, it gives away way too much). Here is the beginning of the netflix version

Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Dark Knight) writes and directs this odd, claustrophobic neo-noir film about a seedy young Brit (Jeremy Theobald) who's obsessed with following people -- albeit harmlessly at first

The rest of it tells a bit more, but I couldn't read it on my PS3, and I enjoyed knowing less details going in, but I digress.

It's what you can expect from Nolan with a small budget and not many resources. It's an interesting story with a few twists and turns. The acting is surprisingly good for the situation, especially the guy who plays Cobb(sound familiar? :) though this actor hasn't been in anything else, according to imdb). There is also some great dialogue in here as well.

It's only 70 minutes long, and although Nolan tries to get a little too fancy with the plot, it's worth a watch for sure

kitchiku

Nov 6, 2009
Harry Potter 7-2: 5/10. the ending was so lame.
Transformers 3: 3/10. bad acting, bad script
Kung Fu Panda 2: 9/10. awesome but I like 1 better

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Super 8 - 7/10
The movie was well done. Could easily be an 8/8.5 if it's more your genre.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 10/10
This is basically a 4.5 hour movie. (Twelve 24 minute episodes and it's self-contained)
Surprised the hell outta me.
It's not gonna be for everyone, though. It's definitely not in the American style of, "Your audience is made up of idiots so expose and explain everything in a straightforward, linear fashion."
If this looks like a random jumble to you, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is gonna be over your head.

E: (Decided to re-rate Puella Magi Madoka Magica after thinking it over and realizing that nothing I have ever watched would even be a half point better.)

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Despicable Me - 7.5/10: Boy, maybe I'm mildly retarded, but I found this pretty darn funny and enjoyable. I was actually very bored for the first 5-10 minutes and was seriously considering stopping the thing, but after that it really gained steam and became pretty fun. There were a few parts where I laughed very hard out loud and one in-particular that actually caused me to pause the movie because I was laughing so hard
"IT'S SO FLUFFY!!"
. I'm usually not a big fan of cartoon movies, but this one stays pretty ridiculous like a cartoon should and does not try to go too far into serious stuff. Some good gags and laughs and far, far more fun than I ever would have expected.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Following - 8/10:
Christopher Nolan's first feature length film. It had a $6,000 budget according to imdb(don't read the synopsis there, it gives away way too much). Here is the beginning of the netflix version

The rest of it tells a bit more, but I couldn't read it on my PS3, and I enjoyed knowing less details going in, but I digress.

It's what you can expect from Nolan with a small budget and not many resources. It's an interesting story with a few twists and turns. The acting is surprisingly good for the situation, especially the guy who plays Cobb(sound familiar? :) though this actor hasn't been in anything else, according to imdb). There is also some great dialogue in here as well.

It's only 70 minutes long, and although Nolan tries to get a little too fancy with the plot, it's worth a watch for sure

It's been ages since I watched this, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. Nolan seems to have gotten to a point where people feel the need to talk shit about him for whatever reason (I guess it's cool to hate him now) but I think all of his movie are at the very least good and enjoyable, with some being great. I'm a fan.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Yeah. He doesn't make classics in the typical sense, but they definitely enjoy cult lasting power, plus now he's making blockbusters. The masses love them of course, but they are good movies and the critics enjoy them too. he does well with his material, his style works well. A bit over the top without getting ridiculous

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Following - 8/10:

He has consistently bettered himself. I loved this movie too.. watched it after Memento and I thought it was an excellent movie.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm a bit of a Christopher Nolan fanboy myself...
I think he's one of the better living directors these days .... though I wouldn't rate him in the same class as Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Chan Wook Park, David Lynch, or Jean-Luc Godard... However, he's very very good!

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
Harry Potter 7.2 - 9/10. A very fitting conclusion. Great bevy of British actors. Special effects that didn't make me want to hurt myself because of how 'computery' they looked.

Dial M for Murder (1954). 9/10 Hitchcock version of a stage play. Grace Kelly is gorgeous. We know whodunnit and how he dunnit. What we watch is if anyone else can figure it out before it's too late.

Wall-E. 11/10 for the initial parts on earth. It's the greatest bit of animation I've ever seen. 7/10 when they go to the spaceship. Fun, but the switch to parody is a bit jarring.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Despicable Me - 7.5/10: Boy, maybe I'm mildly retarded, but I found this pretty darn funny and enjoyable. I was actually very bored for the first 5-10 minutes and was seriously considering stopping the thing, but after that it really gained steam and became pretty fun. There were a few parts where I laughed very hard out loud and one in-particular that actually caused me to pause the movie because I was laughing so hard
"IT'S SO FLUFFY!!"
. I'm usually not a big fan of cartoon movies, but this one stays pretty ridiculous like a cartoon should and does not try to go too far into serious stuff. Some good gags and laughs and far, far more fun than I ever would have expected.

KT

:D

Caught this on tv last night and decided to start watching per your review. I probably watched the first 15-20 minutes before going to bed, but I liked it a lot so far. It seems like it's hardly a kids movie, looking forward to watching the rest of it, maybe tonight.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
:D

Caught this on tv last night and decided to start watching per your review. I probably watched the first 15-20 minutes before going to bed, but I liked it a lot so far. It seems like it's hardly a kids movie, looking forward to watching the rest of it, maybe tonight.

Well I hope you like it so I feel a little bit less of an idiot. :p

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Did you watch a few scenes after/during credits? I liked the movie too.. enjoyed it a lot.. plain goofy fun.

Yep, that was cute/funny too. Looks like it was specifically designed for 3D too, which probably looked ok as far as 3D goes. Yeah, fun stuff.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
One thing I noticed was that it actually looks GOOD. All these pixar movies people rave about don't do anything for me, but despicable me looked great imo

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Here's a couple movies I saw in the last week.

The Adjustment Bureau - 8/10.
An interesting story that is another take on the fate vs. free will plot. Thought they could have done without the whole "some call us angels" and The Chairman = God analogies, but it's a very minor point. I think it would have been better had they just been left as some ubiquitous meddlers in human affairs. Acting all around was solid.

Battle: Los Angeles - 6.5/10
Well done alien invasion and action movie, but nothing original.

Dark City - 8.5/10
I've watched this countless times and I find something new to appreciate about it with each viewing. My only gripe really is that I feel the beginning narration gives too much of the central plot away. The movie would be tons better if the viewer is left in the dark about what's actually going on, much like the movie's protagonist. As in how The Matrix went about revealing it's story.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Another popular one I missed and have just now seen...

Fargo - 8/10: Very typical Coen brothers, but I like Coen brothers so I enjoyed it. Nothing earth-shattering, but it was cute, funny, quirky, basically everything you'd expect. Based on now I recall people and critics receiving this, I'd say it's a tad overrated. Didn't it win a bunch of awards?

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - 9/10:
Another of the "only garbage" movies available on netflix streaming; that is, according to all the clowns who are complaining about the netflix price increase.

"They just don't make em like they used to" is actually a fair statement for movies. A purely character and dialogue driven film like this is nearly a forgotten art, and it's incredibly difficult to do these days.

The plot (made in 1958), if you don't know, features paul newman as an ex-athlete alcoholic, and his wife, played by elizabeth taylor, at his family's estate, welcoming home his possibly ill father. Newman is his usual incredible self, and taylor's character really grows on you. Big daddy, the father, is also amazing, played by actor burl ives.

Just about all the movie takes place in their large home, which isn't too unusual for a film like this in the period it was made, but it makes you appreciate how well done it is all around

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
C.H.U.D. 2: Bud the Chud 6/10
The first CHUD is a cult classic horror movie. This isn't. This is a cheese fest horror comedy 80s movie. Three dumb kids steal a corpse that ends up being a dormant CHUD and revive it by accident and he goes on a killing spree. This is not a good movie but it is fun.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
HARRY POTTER (199X to 2011) - 5/10:

i beleive this series is summed up by 2 phrases:

1) You're a wizard, Harry
2)
Snape kills Dumbledore

some ocascional thrills, but too many dull insipid boring uninspiring moments

5/10

FTFY.

You better edit and add those spoiler tags ASAP. :colbert:

Last edited:

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I wondered why i hadn't seen anything in my subscribed threads for the old thread; now i know :p

Sucker Punch (Extended Cut) - 7/10

I'd originally given the movie in theatres 5/10 as i was very disappointed, but i'd give the DC version a bump to 7/10. Much better than the theatrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.