NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 210 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I still don't get your Lawrence hate, but you really should come to understand that she is our better, and deal with it.
:colbert:

--but this is the Sharon Stone thing in this one--you can hate her all you want to the point where she gets nominated, and maybe wins, and you scream at the TV: "WTFHOWCANSHEWIN I HATED THAT BITCH FOR--OHHH ...I get it Now."

you see?

But honestly--Lawrence plays 3rd fiddle to Amy Adams' tits in this one. serious--they are characters. Russell is a clever SOB.

Hmm, we will see. I am still trying to get over the disgusting taste Silver Linings Playbook left in my mouth. D: I'll put it on my watch list though.

Geez, next you will be convincing me to watch Saving Mr. Banks! :(

KT

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I am still trying to get over the disgusting taste Silver Linings Playbook left in my mouth. D:

KT

Haven't seen it, but it's been on my "I'll watch this when the opportunity arises" list. What specifically made it disgusting? Or disappointing? Or just plain bad?

May 11, 2008
I am watching the 2004 version of Battlestar Galactica, season 1.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/

Amazingly, i found a dvd /blue ray rental shop nearby, where i am quite often to be found.
I also watched "Pacific Rim" recently.

The hobbit is on my list, but i first have to buy a blue ray player because the rental shop only has the blue ray version.

The LG blu-ray speler model BP430 , i am interested in.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Haven't seen it, but it's been on my "I'll watch this when the opportunity arises" list. What specifically made it disgusting? Or disappointing? Or just plain bad?

Well I will just re-post my review that I put up elsewhere. Keep in mind I seem to be in the minority on this one and heck, being from Philly you may enjoy it just on that level. :awe:

I should have followed my instincts and skipped this one. Maybe I am missing something, but I have no idea what I was supposed to like about this movie. Every character was either annoying (Lawrence) or irrelevant (Weaver) and the whole story was so contrived I could not help but roll my eyes as it played out (talk about paint by numbers); it was like taking all the worst parts of The Fighter and Little Miss Sunshine and throwing them into a bland Nora Ephron stew. Was it supposed to be funny? Touching? What? I have no idea.

Cooper and De Niro were about the same as they were in Limitless, heck even some of the shots felt exactly the same as that movie, which is odd and I am now convinced Lawrence is not very good at all. I liked her a lot in Winter's Bone, then gave her a pass in Hunger Games since that movie was so terrible, it probably wasn't her fault, but after this I think I am done with her (her horrendous appearance on SNL last night was just the cherry on the crappy sundae). I could see her actually trying to act throughout the entire movie; it was like I was watching her audition tapes. I am not entirely crazy either because unprovoked right after the film my wife said "I think I need to watch Winter's Bone so I can see this apparently good acting from Jennifer Lawrence".

Anyway, I've already wasted more than enough time thinking about this one.

Just my opinion of course, but it was one of my least favourite films from all of 2012. YMMV.

KT

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Hobbit Desolation of Smaug 6/10

I really want to like all Hobbit movies, because I am a genuine fan of Tolkien's fiction and I loved the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. While I did like this one better than the "first" Hobbit, I found much of the acting stilted and many of the scenes excessively melodramatic. About 70 minutes of the movie could have been chopped and there would not have been much impact on the overall flow or the story.

That being said, I think Smaug is one of the best CGI villains ever, and Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo was much more enjoyable this go around.

Finally - god strike me down if Radagast is not the Hobbit's equivalent of Jar Jar binks. Why the hell is he in either movie? His role has done nothing except add laughable filler.

I'd agree with much of what you are saying but give Smaug a 7/10. Smaug is glorious but be prepared to wait for it.

Gandalfs battle, capture, and imprisonment felt like a sideline event instead of main plot item. Bilbo's ongoing realizations regarding the ring's true nature. Legolas having doubts about his kings decisions. Bilbo's dialog with Smaug was also generally lacking in development and depth. All of these are character developing elements that were left out of the movie. They sacrificed quality for a nice long stupid action sequence of the dwarves escaping the elven city. For the lols

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Is it bad that I haven't watched any of the LoTR movies? If yes should I start watching it? Is it any good? I don't like Harry Potter if that helps.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
If you don't like fantasy films, then I would skip them. I've never seen a Harry Potter film myself, but I don't think they look the same as the LOTR movies. :hmm:

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Is it bad that I haven't watched any of the LoTR movies? If yes should I start watching it? Is it any good? I don't like Harry Potter if that helps.

Harry Potter is meh. I don't think I've seen the last one, but the later films do get rather dark. And the plots are all completely identical. It's hilarious how it's essentially the same movie over and over again. People are dumb.

Anyway, they are nothing like LoTR. You should give them a shot as they are well worth it. I hated the first one after seeing it in the theater, but I warmed up to it after seeing the extended version right before Two Towers was released which, to me, was much better. Stuff actually happens in the 2nd one. They are good, fun flicks; even though the books suck.

Feb 10, 2000

I don't think it's fair to call it bad - obviously it was nominated for Best Picture. I thought it was good in that it portrayed mental illness in a realistic yet sympathetic way. I thought it integrated its comic elements somewhat awkwardly, and some plot elements were really silly, so I wouldn't call it Best Picture material, but it's decent. I will say that I Heart Huckabees is the only Russell film I have liked less, though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Kick-Ass 2 7/10 I enjoyed it, Jim Carrey was excellent. The writing was decent. Christopher Mintz-Plasse was pretty good too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hucakbees and 3 Kings are on my shelf, and remain my favorite David O Russell flicks--well, OK--American Hustle now takes the lead.

I'm not sure if I ever saw Spanking the Monkey. :hmm:

of the last 3, I put SLP below The Fighter and American Hustle for sure, but I still liked it. It seemed honest and charming to me. And...I couldn't stop looking at Jennifer Lawrence. :wub:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Woochi - 7/10 for the genre

Korean sword and sorcery wire-fu action comedy. A little silly but fun and with some good visuals.

Feb 10, 2000

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Parker - 7/10. Not the best action movie ever, ending was relatively predictable - but it held my attention for the whole movie. A couple of times, I expected the plot to go in a different direction -
Expected his girlfriend to get killed and make him even more angry.

edit edit: seriously vB? "spoiler" has to be in all caps to work?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Is this the 1994 film, The Crow?

Based on the ratings, I sure hope so.

I personally thing it was awesome until the ending parts. Like 10/10 75% of the way through, then a 6/10 to finish. Has been a while (years) since I have seen it but that is my recollection. Awesome movie though. Visually, it was awesome. The story was also very well done. And this is based on a comic book, before there were multiple summer blockbusters based on comics each year.

Possible reboot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow_(film)#Reboot

Last edited:

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The Wolf of Wall Street -- 9/10

Probably Dicaprio's best acting to date. I was also very impressed by Jonah Hill, he's usually a question mark for me. Would have liked to see more of Matthew McConaughey's character.

At times, bordered on being a stoner comedy, but not enough where it truly bothered me. Definitely on the raunchy side, and the f-bomb is used very, very frequently, so if that bothers you, you may want to skip.

Will be picking this up when it comes out.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Battleship - 6/10 - story pretty much sucked. some cool visuals (especially Brooklyn Decker).

Monster University - 6/10 - Was ok, but felt just like every other college movie I have ever seen minus the beer and sex.

Odd Life of Timothy Green - 7/10 - was weird but interesting. sappy movie.

Dredd (2012) - 7/10 - story sucked but actions was awesome

Premium Rush - 4/10 - meh

Act of Vengeance - 1/10 - boring as fuck

This is 40 - 5/10 - not as funny as I was expecting. I do love me some Leslie Mann though. Get to see her tittays!

Jack Reacher - 6/10 - some good action, not so great story though.

Status
Not open for further replies.