NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
The Descent is a pretty cool horror movie. No clue what I would rate it but it's definitely up there with the Ring for movies that actually scared me.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
The Descent is a pretty cool horror movie. No clue what I would rate it but it's definitely up there with the Ring for movies that actually scared me.
The ring? P-13 got you scared? Sorry, not one single PG-13 horror moive scared me. I hate PG13 horror. :whiste:

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
The ring? P-13 got you scared? Sorry, not one single PG-13 horror moive scared me. I hate PG13 horror. :whiste:

I actually found The Ring to be quite scary despite it's PG-13 rating as well. I've seen plenty of R-rated horror movies that are only rated R because of gore, and don't get under my skin even remotely as much as The Ring did.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
someone talking bad about The Ring ?!? Just the best horror movie ever? Lol. Here, have a bucket of fake blood on me.

BikeJunkie

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2013
Agree that The Ring was definitely not your average "PG-13 horror movie." I felt like evil was in the room by the time that shiz was over.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The Sixth Sense wasn't an average PG-13 horror movie either, but it still wasn't scary. :colbert:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Pacific Rim 6/10

Probably being generous, but I did sit through the entire movie without fast forwarding. So many things to pick on, but the biggest has to be the way the giant robot operators always went to battle the aliens via 'punching' and throwing them... it's not until they are almost destroyed that they 'remember' they have one last thing to try - a sword.

So, all that time boxing a giant alien, including when they had it in choke holds... they never once thought a big sword that could cut off the head would be an appropriate weapon to use?

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
It is a movie about fighting giant alien monsters in the dumbest way possible. You just have to let things go and enjoy it for what it is :).

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Saw Captain America: The First Avenger last night. 5/10. Watchable if you can ignore the comic-book-y crap just to set up for more with The Avengers. There were plenty of forced and non-sensical scenes but you can still have fun with it if you really want to.

The Hunger Games: 2/10. Nothing any character does makes any sense and the rest of the story has been done a million times over. I'm not going to excuse it just because the book was for kids/young adults. I don't want them thinking that this kind of lazy writing is OK.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I think I'm scared for life.
Someone recommend me to watch Salo The 120 days of Sodom. It's the most FUCKED up movie EVER! Par with Cannibal Holocaust. I like horror, but geez, everything looks REAL! Go watch it if you don't believe me! It's DISGUSTING! Good job the producer got shot and killed after the movie was released.

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Evil Dead - 2013 6/10

No humor, gore fest. Cinematography, acting, and special fx were good. As a standalone movie using the premise of the necronomicon being a gateway for evil it was an alright movie. Could have been much better.

Europa Report - 2013 5/10

Non linear story did not do this movie any favors and made it difficult to relate to the characters. Cinematography, acting and special fx were good, although there were too many gimmicks. Could have been much better. Still worth seeing if you do not mind movies with odd pacing, non linear story, and you love sci fi. The ending is interesting though.

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The Purge 8/10

Very intriguing premise, good all around otherwise. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Eh, I would disagree. The acting was good, as was the writing, and the only stupidity was on the part of characters that unfortunately were stupid. The movie held to it's premise well, and some of that stupidity could be argued as effects of such an environment on various personality types. Also I'm sure we can agree that there are more than enough stupid people in the world for such a portrayal of stupidity to be accurate to life.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters - 7/10 - dumb fun. If you like Buffy and/or Supernatural you'll probably enjoy this too.

It could easily be part of either one of those universes with the humor, action and kung-fu witches. From the guy who gave us Dead Snow.

Make sure to get the Jeremy Renner H&G movie since there is a "mockbuster" H&G too.

Nov 7, 2000
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - 6.2/10 - Wasn't enjoying much during the film, recovered slightly at the end when they
pulled the mother back into the picture.
. I thought the acting was pretty good, esp the kid's, though I didn't care for his character.

Chronicle - 7.3/10 - Needed a little more runtime to track the character development, particularly for the damaged one. Great climax sequence. Enjoyed more than I thought I would.
Took a bit longer to turn dark than I was expecting, which I liked

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The Best Man Holiday - 10/10 - Beautiful movie, very emotional at times. Excellent follow-up to The Best Man which came out 15 years ago. It was wonderful seeing the cast back together again. Terrence Howard was hilarious. Nia Long was gorgeous as usual, as was Sanaa Lathan, and Regina Bell. The men looked great as well!

Will definitely get when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Sep 29, 2004
ip Man 2 - 5/10 - Kind of a bland story. Not better than the first one. But luckily the pace was good enough that i did not get bored at any point.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
the heat - 5/10 - the big fat women is really annoying to me. she is just a gross fat obnoxious slob for most of the movie. sandra bullock was kind of annoying to as she usually is. but the 2nd half of the movie started to grow on me, and it did have some funny parts.

the hangover 3 - 5/10 - this movie shouldn't have even been called hangover. but i did find the story somewhat amusing and entertaining, although it was complete even more over the top of the first ones. but it was an enjoyable 90 or so minutes, but definitely forgettable. nothing i would go run home and tell people to go see.

pacific rim - 9/10 - i thought this movie was flat out BADASS. i really had no expectations of it other than that it was about big ass monsters that reminded me of that neo geo fighting game, kind of monsters. it actually had a somewhat decent story as well, and it had some really great effects. it just reminded me of being a kid with action figures as well. oh, and i have to say, this movie was one of the BEST SOUNDTRACKS i've ever heard in a movie. the bass in this movie is INCREDIBLE as is the overall sound in general. if you have a nice sound system this one will rock the house. i might purchase the 3d version just to see it in 3d next time, but also to own so i can use it as my new demo disc.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The premise was interesting but everything else sucked about it sadly with how stupid everyone was.

i couldn't believe that people didnt know their way around THEIR OWN FUCKING HOUSE!!!

that movie made me rage because it had so much potential but went nowhere with it.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Europa Report - 8/10
This was a hard one for me. It was decently realistic/plausible, which I very much loved, the story and characters were great. Acting was decent overall. Anamaria Marinca's performance was magnificent.

I don't care for the "found footage" style.
I didn't like the editing at all.

I understand they edited in a way to attempt to maximize the suspense. However, it would have been better if it was shown in chronological order.

So, 2 negatives given the style and the editing but I still very much enjoyed the film.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
12 Years A Slave - 9.9/10

We have an Oscar frontrunner here. No doubt. But for me it is one of the most difficult cinematic experiences I have ever had. Difficult but a must-watch. In some ways it makes "Schindler's List" and "Passion of the Christ" look tame. Look for Chiwetel Ejiofor to get Best Actor nods with Michael Fassbender with some Supporting Actor nods.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Chronicle - 7.3/10 - Needed a little more runtime to track the character development, particularly for the damaged one. Great climax sequence. Enjoyed more than I thought I would.
Took a bit longer to turn dark than I was expecting, which I liked
Akira: the Hollywood version

Milestone post!

Status
Not open for further replies.