NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 189 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Well I already said I really enjoy DDL movies. So lets start with Lincoln, Gangs of New York, and Last of the Mohicans. LotM has an epic soundtrack. That's a fallacy though.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
LOL

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that those last 20 minutes are probably bloody from the movie title but the movie is around 2.5 hours long. It's boring. We kept asking ourselves what the point of the movie was. Were they trying to develop the characters? No. One cares about money and the other god. It's static and a boring relationship and they treat each other like they're 12 years old. Were they showing some kind of inner or outer struggle? No. It's about an oil man digging for oil with a weird cult type church present and a crazy preacher. It's boring. The soundtrack is awful too.

*woosh*
The religious leader did not "care about God." He cared about the power and influence that religion gave him over people, which is abundantly clear in the end. You didn't have to see the end to know it either: it's particularly why our oil man was so furious with him after being manipulated by it. He knew and you should have too. Watch the conversion scene again in that mindset. That wasn't something the other members went through when they joined/converted. It was all an excuse to hit him and subjugate him in front of everyone and get away with it.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah I'm really stoked for it. Going to try and see it Saturday morning.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I should be seeing it tomorrow night, will report back.

Coolio. :thumbsup:

I missed it in Toronto. They kept adding screenings, but they kept selling out and I did not want to stand in line for three hours to see it.

KT

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There will be blood: 0/10

I couldn't finish it. The girlfriend and I hated it. Boring, schizophrenic plot, and quite frankly stupid cinematography. There's actually a scene where they show the main character in a landscape shot so that he's tiny but you hear the conversation as if it's a normal shot.

Unless the last 20 minutes hold some kind of special silver bullet I'm keeping it at 0/10. I doubt I'll ever finish it. I can't come up with anything nice to say about the movie.
While watching the movie I had the idea that it should have been named "Oil." In the end credits it indicates that it was indeed based on Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil!" I thought it not that bad. The ending is pretty intense, BTW.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
There will be blood: 0/10

I couldn't finish it. The girlfriend and I hated it. Boring, schizophrenic plot, and quite frankly stupid cinematography. There's actually a scene where they show the main character in a landscape shot so that he's tiny but you hear the conversation as if it's a normal shot.

Unless the last 20 minutes hold some kind of special silver bullet I'm keeping it at 0/10. I doubt I'll ever finish it. I can't come up with anything nice to say about the movie.

I'm going to guess that you didn't like Magnolia by P.T. Anderson either... Magnolia's my favorite movie of all time, Punch Drunk Love is good, and I like There Will Be Blood. Love hate thing with his movies.

Sucker Punch - 7/10 - I don't know what the f*** was going on (no, I did), but scantily clad ladies, sci-fi action, guns, what's not to like?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I've seen headlines like that but I've shied away from reading anything more. I'm not sure what to expect but I can't friggin wait. I want to find a quiet theatre though...hmmm

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Oblivion with Tom Cruise 6.5/10

I love science fiction and we only get a few large funded films a year, so maybe my score is a little bit better than someone who doesn't care for sci-fi.

This film could have been so much better WITHOUT Tom Cruise, but then it's budget would probably have been shit. Predictable from the start, including making Tom look good at all costs, including story and plot. The director is to blame for making the mystery so obvious though; please... a 10 year old could have seen who/what the scavs and Tet (sp?) were just after the initial breakdown history.

But then they had to add insult to injury (in order to make Tom look good) with a complete lack of plausibility making his heroic sacrifice a reality. Spoiler ***************************************

the super alien AI lifeform can scan everything, but misses the obvious inclusion of multiple power sources that were used only days earlier to blow something else up?

Go the fuck away Tom Cruise, and leave my sci-fi alone.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Ahh, too bad. Well it comes out tonight anyway and I'm going to make sure I'm not too hungover on Saturday so I can go see it in the morning.

98% and 100% from the top critics. Nice.

KT

this director sounds amazing. 13 minute sequence w/o cuts. insane.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
this director sounds amazing. 13 minute sequence w/o cuts. insane.

I remember seeing him discussing the main car scene in Children of Men and how they had to shoot that. Gutting out the floor of the car and building a special contraption so they could do it without cutting. Was very cool. Dude's a technician.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm shooting for this weekend. imax for sure, real imax

I want to do that too, but there is not one around here. They are all in the suburbs. :(

KT

Ugh: looks like it's only playing in 3D around here too. I don't want stupid 3D!

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
When I first saw the trailer for Gravity, I pretty much gave it a pass. I didn't really expect much from it given I already had what felt like the bread and butter of the movie shown to me. Although, all the fervor for the movie is really tempting me to check it out.

I did read an interesting article at Ars about the stuff in the movie's trailer being accurate or not: http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/10/poking-holes-in-the-gravity-trailer-with-nasas-help/

EDIT:

Not always is it? Didn't Dark knight play at Imax and had parts shot with Imax cameras?

I may be wrong though, as usual. :D

I'm pretty sure IMAX isn't always 3D.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I got faith that this director got it right, since he shot this specifically for 3D.

I thought I read that it was converted from 2D and not shot in 3D. I've been trying to avoid reading or watching anything on the film, so I did not read the whole thing, but I could have sworn I saw that.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
When I first saw the trailer for Gravity, I pretty much gave it a pass. I didn't really expect much from it given I already had what felt like the bread and butter of the movie shown to me. Although, all the fervor for the movie is really tempting me to check it out.

I did read an interesting article at Ars about the stuff in the movie's trailer being accurate or not: http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/10/poking-holes-in-the-gravity-trailer-with-nasas-help/

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure IMAX isn't always 3D.

Thanks. I'll read that after I've seen the film. I have not seen the trailer.

I thought it is only available in 3D at imax. I can't seem to find it in non-3d but idk

Could be they are not showing Gravity in 2D. Ah well, I guess I just have to suck it up.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.