NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 188 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not sure of the name, but it was about some Hans Christian Andersen-esque fairytale set in the real world and the woman learning about modern/real life dating norms.

I'd say 7/10.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Amelie [6/10]: I don't dislike it because it's a Frenchy quirky film. I actually like the quirky cinematography. I can see the films influence on American movies afterward - esp Wes Anderson. BUT THEN... Wes' Royal Tenanbaum also came out in same year (2001). I'm no movie buff, maybe someone can help me out who influenced whom or if there's a parent director. The movie itself was cute. I would've liked it better if I saw it much earlier. By today's standards, such 'quirkiness' and the main protagonist fixing everyone's lives is cliche as hell. I actually couldn't finish it.

Parks & Rec Season 1 [7 & TBD/10]: I heard so much about this so finally gave it a go. It's mildly entertaining, but it better get better. I was rather bit disappointing that it's uses EXACT The Office formula. You got the lovable female Michael Scott- same innocent and goofy so viewers can't help but to like him, with moments of brilliance.

Just fired up season 2 with my wife. Not really hooked- we're just having a lazy Sunday.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Silver Linings Playbook - 9.5/10: Simply amazing. Love Jennifer Lawrence, saw her win the Oscar for this movie, and finally wanted to see what's so good about it. She is amazingly good and has a very wide range. Oh, and it's rom-com-y. Can't go wrong with that with two great stars.

Mar 16, 2005
Silver Linings Playbook - 9.5/10: Simply amazing. Love Jennifer Lawrence, saw her win the Oscar for this movie, and finally wanted to see what's so good about it. She is amazingly good and has a very wide range. Oh, and it's rom-com-y. Can't go wrong with that with two great stars.

bradley cooper did a better job acting in this film. he should have won an oscar , instead of crusty honest abe.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
bradley cooper did a better job acting in this film. he should have won an oscar , instead of crusty honest abe.

Daniel Day Lewis is awesome, but it seems like the Oscars love giving awards to roles about historic figures. Having said that, I haven't seen the Lincoln movie yet -- Lewis did look good in the clips I saw (all 2 minutes?).

Cooper is very good in it.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Daniel Day Lewis is awesome, but it seems like the Oscars love giving awards to roles about historic figures. Having said that, I haven't seen the Lincoln movie yet -- Lewis did look good in the clips I saw (all 2 minutes?).

Cooper is very good in it.

It's DDL, he'll pretty much get an Oscar for making a movie with him taking a shit the whole time.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Parks & Rec Season 1 [7 & TBD/10]: I heard so much about this so finally gave it a go. It's mildly entertaining, but it better get better. I was rather bit disappointing that it's uses EXACT The Office formula. You got the lovable female Michael Scott- same innocent and goofy so viewers can't help but to like him, with moments of brilliance.

Just fired up season 2 with my wife. Not really hooked- we're just having a lazy Sunday.

Season 1 is pretty weak. Really picks up in season 2.

Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey 7/10
Documentary about the dude from Manila that went from poverty to fronting Journey. I'm not a big Journey fan but still enjoyed the film. Mostly about the new dude but does give some Journey back story too.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Enough Said [8/10]: Deft, near pitch perfect little story of two middle-aged folks coming together. Smartly written and acted. It was positively endearing, but not in that forced, smaltzy, Disney kind of way at all. James Gandolfini and Julia Louis-Dreyfus both shine.

A small film. I like small films. They don't try to bite off more than they can chew, and if done right, they can shine their crazy diamond light on a small piece of the human condition so perfectly you just go, "Yeah."

And you walk out of the theater satisfied.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i thought wwz was pretty badass and very entertaining. the soundtrack in that movie was awesome too, felt my house rumble a few times.

SPOILERS OF WWZ BELOW
SPOILERS OF WWZ BELOW
SPOILERS OF WWZ BELOW

i'm also not sure why people keep calling the infected "zombies". they are not dead, they are infected humans with what they hint as some sort of a rabies strain. it makes a big difference as to why they don't act like "traditional" zombies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

It's a white knuckle horror movie. Probably one of the gold standard in the genre. Could have been better with a better script. Sure presses the buttons about death, cadavers, body parts, mayhem, homicidal maniacs, way way out there hick depravity family, screams for days.
Yes, there was one survivor but to say she winds up with PTSD is a joke, she's the poster child. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the actress (Marilyn Burns) had PTSD after making the movie.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wreck-it-Ralph - 9/10

Just watched it with some friends and their kids. Very well done, very sweet.

The kids loved it, and as a lifelong gamer I enjoyed all of the references it throws at you.

It's rare for me to expect to enjoy a movie and have it actually exceed those expectations.

I dug it, basically. Not everything, some of the character stuff, meant to be snarky, didn't do much for me. The visuals, however, are stunning, and they utilize 3D animation to great effect. It's fantastic. So much great animation, and most of it just goes by so fast it's hard to catch it all. Tons of detail. I have the feeling you could watch this 5 times and still not feel you'd seen it all, even if you did it 5 days in a row. Anyway, surely worth rewatching. Maybe you could see this one 25 times and not get tired of it. OK, some of it bothered me, the auto racing stuff, come on.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Wreck-it-Ralph - 9/10

Just watched it with some friends and their kids. Very well done, very sweet.

The kids loved it, and as a lifelong gamer I enjoyed all of the references it throws at you.

It's rare for me to expect to enjoy a movie and have it actually exceed those expectations.

I really liked this movie because I grew up with most of those game references. My nieces and nephews on the other hand, didn't like it at all lol.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
There will be blood: 0/10

I couldn't finish it. The girlfriend and I hated it. Boring, schizophrenic plot, and quite frankly stupid cinematography. There's actually a scene where they show the main character in a landscape shot so that he's tiny but you hear the conversation as if it's a normal shot.

Unless the last 20 minutes hold some kind of special silver bullet I'm keeping it at 0/10. I doubt I'll ever finish it. I can't come up with anything nice to say about the movie.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I couldn't finish it. The girlfriend and I hated it. Boring, schizophrenic plot, and quite frankly stupid cinematography. There's actually a scene where they show the main character in a landscape shot so that he's tiny but you hear the conversation as if it's a normal shot.

Unless the last 20 minutes hold some kind of special silver bullet I'm keeping it at 0/10. I doubt I'll ever finish it. I can't come up with anything nice to say about the movie.

You my friend, have just opened up a giant can of worms.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001

I wouldn't give it a 0, but chalk up another person who hated There Will Be Blood. Don't get me wrong - the acting was flawless, but the plot and pacing were awful.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I watched it because the reviews said it was the second coming of Christ. I am a big fan of DDL. This movie though was complete garbage.
I think you are missing the point. It's a movie about an escalating power play without the typical plot or goal, protagonist and antagonist. As such, the last 20 minutes are not pleasant. My mother said it was her kind of movie until it got there. :)

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001

Someone must have drank your milkshake :|

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013
6/10 - This is the end.

I thought this movie had some funny parts, honestly didn't find it that great. By the time it was over I was like wow that was a terrible movie. It was comical at times, just glad I didn't pay to go see it at local cinemas.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
LOL

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that those last 20 minutes are probably bloody from the movie title but the movie is around 2.5 hours long. It's boring. We kept asking ourselves what the point of the movie was. Were they trying to develop the characters? No. One cares about money and the other god. It's static and a boring relationship and they treat each other like they're 12 years old. Were they showing some kind of inner or outer struggle? No. It's about an oil man digging for oil with a weird cult type church present and a crazy preacher. It's boring. The soundtrack is awful too.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
the soundtrack is awful?!?!??

ok, in these situations one usually asks "well, what are your favorite movies?"

Status
Not open for further replies.