NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 167 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Something about Mary was the funniest movie I had ever seen. I literally was on the floor laughing in the theater. I mean literally. It is unmatched. However it's not that funny the second time so I'd probably not give it the perfect 10/10. With that said it might be impossible to give a 10/10 with that extra requirement so maybe I'm being unfair.

My 10/10 movies would be Schindler's List, Shawshank Redemption, and Saving Private Ryan. Special credit probably has to be given to Heath Ledger's performance of the Joker. The whole movie was not a 10/10 but his part was definitely that good.

Then there's also the movies that just blow your mind with whatever the newest special effects are. The Matrix, Avatar, Jurassic Park, Toy Story, etc. These are not perfect movies but when they were released they were so amazing from an entertainment point of view until the next big thing came out.

There's a lot of movies that are probably 10/10 like Alien and the Godfather but the three above are my all time favorites.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I re-watched the Evil Dead Trilogy this past weekend. Had a lot of fun with it.

The Evil Dead (1981) - 10/10: Still awesome over thirty years later. The effects hold up quite well even when watched in HD on a 90+" screen. Very impressive. I love the scene with Linda sitting on the ground, cackling. So creepy!

Evil Dead 2 - 6/10: I've never understood the point of this one. Pretty much a remake of the first film, with less horror and more jokes. Some of the jokes are effective and fun, but some are not, and Bruce Campbell is truly awful here. Still fun in parts, but nowhere close to as good as the first film.

Army of Darkness - 8/10: Bruce Campbell is much better here as are the jokes. Not scary in the slightest (neither was part 2 really) but a heck of a lot of fun that reminded me of old fantasy films. Good stuff. Definitely interested to see what happens with the upcoming sequel!

Also watched:

Independence Day - 1.5/10: About ten minutes into the movie I realized I'd never seen the movie in its entirety before. Wow, what a piece of crap and a damn slog at nearly 2.5 hours long. I liked some of the exploding stuff, but pretty much everything else stunk.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I almost never give a 10/10 on a first watch, I usually like to re-watch something before I give it a perfect score. I just looked at my Letterboxd film log and see that I have 42 perfect scores there. Stuff like this shows up on the first page: The Evil Dead, Airplane, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Spring Breakers, Citizen Kane, Drive, Breathless, The Master, Birth, The Usual Suspects, Alien, Inglourious Basterds, Casablanca, 2001, etc.

KT

Last edited:

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
10/10? Hmmm, well a few that come close... 2001, Apocalypse Now, LOTR:ROTK, The Dark Knight, Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski, The Godfather, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Forrest Gump, The Pianist, Good Will Hunting... All of those come damn well close to 10/10. I guess if I had to pick favourites from that, Apocalypse Now, Forrest Gump, and the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

The Evil Dead (1981) - 10/10: Still awesome over thirty years later. The effects hold up quite well even when watched in HD on a 90+" screen. Very impressive. I love the scene with Linda sitting on the ground, cackling. So creepy!

Evil Dead 2 - 6/10: I've never understood the point of this one. Pretty much a remake of the first film, with less horror and more jokes. Some of the jokes are effective and fun, but some are not, and Bruce Campbell is truly awful here. Still fun in parts, but nowhere close to as good as the first film.

Army of Darkness - 8/10: Bruce Campbell is much better here as are the jokes. Not scary in the slightest (neither was part 2 really) but a heck of a lot of fun that reminded me of old fantasy films. Good stuff. Definitely interested to see what happens with the upcoming sequel!

Also watched:

Independence Day - 1.5/10: About ten minutes into the movie I realized I'd never seen the movie in its entirety before. Wow, what a piece of crap and a damn slog at nearly 2.5 hours long. I liked some of the exploding stuff, but pretty much everything else stunk.

KT

Get the fuck out. Independence day 10/10 forever.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Independence Day was great when it came out. If you missed the boat then I'm sorry. Some movies just require that you watch them upon release since they don't age very well.

Oh here's a 10/10 movie. Jaws.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Independence Day was great when it came out. If you missed the boat then I'm sorry. Some movies just require that you watch them upon release since they don't age very well.

Oh here's a 10/10 movie. Jaws.

Which means Independence Day is not a 10/10 movie.

Jaws is a perfect example. It was a 10/10 in 1975 and it remains a 10/10 now.

KT

Sep 29, 2004
Which means Independence Day is not a 10/10 movie.

Jaws is a perfect example. It was a 10/10 in 1975 and it remains a 10/10 now.

KT

Jaws will not be a 10/10 until george Lucas buys the franchise and reboots it doing it all in 3D and the shark is actually the comic relief, not the villain.

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
The Girls With The Dragon Tattoo (Swedish original, 2009) 8/10: Amazing piece of detective thriller. I mean, I would've never thought to track down a girl by looking at old photos, then hunting down the another photographer in that photo who took pictures facing back at them to identify the killer. Writers are so smart, I could've have conceive such thought. That scene was brilliantly handled and gave me chills. Solid all around.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011) 7/10: Why the hell did Hollywood remake this when the original is mere 2 years old? The original is not outdated, and it's an excellent movie. This remake added nothing new. And that photo scene wasn't handled as intensely as the original. And what's up with the useless different ending? This offered nothing new.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
JAws will not be a 10/10 until george Lucas buys teh franchise and reboots it doing it all in 3D and the shark is actually the comic relief, not the villain.

Why not, what else is George doing these days?

The Girls With The Dragon Tattoo (Swedish original, 2009) 8/10: Amazing piece of detective thriller. I mean, I would've never thought to track down a girl by looking at old photos, then hunting down the another photographer in that photo who took pictures facing back at them to identify the killer. Writers are so smart, I could've have conceive such thought. That scene was brilliantly handled and gave me chills. Solid all around.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011) 7/10: Why the hell did Hollywood remake this when the original is mere 2 years old? The original is not outdated, and it's an excellent movie. This remake added nothing new. And that photo scene wasn't handled as intensely as the original. And what's up with the useless different ending? This offered nothing new.

I did not even make it through the re-make. I generally do not have major problems with remakes, but this one felt exactly the same and I had just seen it, so turned it off about twenty minutes in.

You plan on watching the two Swedish sequels?

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

KT

Evil Dead 2 > Evil Dead for me. It was Evil Dead + and much better overall. I would give Evil Dead 2 the 10/10, and Evil Dead 1 a 8/10. Army of Darkness probably a 8/10 as well.

My other 10's:

Alien
Aliens
The Negotiator
True Romance
Terminator 2
The Thing (John Carpenters)

These are all movies I fell in love with and can still watch over and over and be glued to the screen.\

EDIT: Wait wut? Googles Evil Dead 4

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Evil Dead 2 > Evil Dead for me. It was Evil Dead + and much better overall. I would give Evil Dead 2 the 10/10, and Evil Dead 1 a 8/10. Army of Darkness probably a 8/10 as well.

My other 10's:

Alien
Aliens
The Negotiator
True Romance
Terminator 2
The Thing (John Carpenters)

These are all movies I fell in love with and can still watch over and over and be glued to the screen.

Did you see Evil Dead 1 or 2 first? That generally seems to dictate, at least the people I spoken with, whether they prefer the first or second film.

KT

Nov 7, 2000
Flight - 7.2/10 - Denzel did a good job, the flight scenes were engaging, albeit unbelievable.
I think they rushed the relationship btw Denzel and the addict, just seemed a bit too providential for me. Anyway, Im glad it ended the way it did, just desserts.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I watched all 3 movies in Swedish. They first one is the best one. I was kinda bored halfway through the 3rd one.

Was no reason to remake it. Was clearly a money grab.

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013

I agree with this, except I would have given the Swedish Film 9/10 it was just done so well. Keeping the Remake at 7/10 because honestly didn't go into the same amount of detail as the original.

I've seen whole Swedish series, they kick ass.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Nice, what a treat. Are they out already? Is it same storyline?

Yep, all the same storyline and all out already. Released shortly after the first film. The first one is the best, but they are all worth watching if you enjoyed the first one.

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Did you see Evil Dead 1 or 2 first? That generally seems to dictate, at least the people I spoken with, whether they prefer the first or second film.

KT

I saw them in order and AOD in the theater. The campy jokey horror was what I enjoyed and there was much more of it in 2 and 3. I mean it really is basically the same movie with a different middle/ending. I had no idea there was mumblings of a new movie until you mentioned it. Will be interesting to see if it happens.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I saw them in order and AOD in the theater. The campy jokey horror was what I enjoyed and there was much more of it in 2 and 3. I mean it really is basically the same movie with a different middle/ending. I had no idea there was mumblings of a new movie until you mentioned it. Will be interesting to see if it happens.

I'm a horror guy first, so losing so much of the scray stuff and turning it into a weird comic remake kind of bothered me. I saw Army of Darkness in the theatre as well and loved it. It's such a different film that the humour worked for me in that setting.

2012 was a good time killer, but it had so much potential to be a good movie by tackling human drama and their sense of despair.

Oh I agree, 2012 could have been way, way better, but I liked it for what it was. I'm sure in ten years or so it will probably look even worse.

KT

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Regarding Independence Day:
Awesome when it came out. I tried to watch it on Blu-Ray many years ago and realized it was complete garbage.

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Hemlock Grove - 6/10

The first few episodes are very slow. It picks up near the middle but towards the last few episodes there are some things that aren't explained very well. I probably missed some key refrences during my bordem with the first few episodes. And I think they copied the music from Dexter for the opening.

Not nearly as entertaining as House of Cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.