NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 148 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Oblivion - 4.5/10

So predictable it was ridiculous. I had the whole movie laid out in the first 10 minutes. There was maybe 1 thing that was a surprise, but only in that it wasn't as I expected but the idea was the same. Morgan Freeman turns in his worst acting job to date. Tom Cruise plays his standard character.

Lets go skinny dipping in the upper atmosphere. Der her her.

Seriously, if you couldn't predict everything that was going to happen in that movie, you're either seriously dense or you've never seen any other movies.

Visually (scenery) nice. But that doesn't "do it" for me when it comes to movies.

Wait for the $1 RedBox rental.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oblivion - 6/10: I had to give it that just for how great it looked, but you guys are right; it was pretty boring and derivative. There was a kernel of a good story there, but it was just executed in a very paint-by-numbers way. I didn't hate it, but it was overall pretty dull.

Upstream Color - 9.5/10: The second feature from Shane Carruth of Primer fame. This film is even more obtuse, just in a different way. It's hard to explain what this is about, and I'm not even sure I know what it's about, but I loved every minute of it regardless. A beautiful movie that will be more rewarding with multiple watches.

KT

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
Oblivion - 6/10: I had to give it that just for how great it looked, but you guys are right; it was pretty boring and derivative. There was a kernel of a good story there, but it was just executed in a very paint-by-numbers way. I didn't hate it, but it was overall pretty dull.

KT

I was like __paper-thin__ and cliched backstory, but I liked how it actually made sense that it was brushed over :O. Not that I agree with your assessment, I would even give it a lower score

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
42 6/10

The Jackie Robinson movie. It was ok, nothing stood out. It was getting good reviews so I was expecting more from it. It was standard fare for its type of movie about overcoming racism. Nothing special IMO.

Yeah I've heard it's pretty dull. A shame because the story is a n interesting one, but it sounds like they dropped the ball.

Sunshine 8.5/10 (Although I'd like to give it a 10/10 subjectively)

It concerns a crew of astronauts whose mission is to reignite the sun which has started dimming and dooming the earth to eventually freeze 50 years into the future.

The music and cinematography are outstanding.

The tone of the movie changes 2/3 of the way in and there is seemingly a huge flaw concerning the ship and mission.

However, good sci-fi in which the adversary isn't aliens but an environmental factor that must be overcome is rare. And I like the first parts of the movie and the ending so much that the flaws and inconsistencies are forgivable for me.

Danny Boyle's best movie. I used to hate the last act, but I'm ok with it now and think it is nearly perfect. One of the greatest blu-rays around, that's for sure.

Winter Light
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057358/
8/10
This film is grueling, dark, and grey. It's depressing. It's uneventful. It's potent. It's powerful. It's epic in its dullness. In the film, a pastor is questioning his faith and lost due to the silence of god. Almost every character in this film lives a life of self loathing. It's not the most happy of films, but it was really quite beautiful in its darkness.

This sounds like it's right up my alley. Added to my watchlist; thanks.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I was like __paper-thin__ and cliched backstory, but I liked how it actually made sense that it was brushed over :O. Not that I agree with your assessment, I would even give it a lower score

Yeah I can't argue with a lower score, but I did enjoy looking at a lot of the scenes they created. Very pretty film!

KT

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter -- 7/10

Better than I thought it was going to be. Expected it to be bad and was hoping for entertaining. Definitely was entertaining, and it really wasn't that bad of a movie. Perhaps a slight overuse of bullettime-esque camera work, but never annoying to me.

Blitz -- 4/10

Fell asleep, rather dull I thought. I want to like Statham movies, but I just can't get into most of them...this was no different.

The Losers -- 5/10

Mostly entertaining, points for Zoe Saldana, but that's about it. Plenty of cheesy lines forced between some okay ish action sequences.

Banshee (Cinemax TV) -- 8/10

It's like a super violent Justified. Worth a watch to see if it's your thing. Never really had that "grab" moment where I knew I had to keep watching, but never got bored with it either.

Snow White and the Huntsman -- 6/10

Wasn't a bad movie, but Kristen Stewart. Whyyyyyyyyyyy?

The Queen of Versailles -- 2/10

Have to wonder what this "documentary" started as, I don't think the end result was the intent. Basically 2 hours of bad reality tv, complete with husband/wife that think they are God's gift to the world. Parts were semi-interesting, so I can't give it just a 1.

Last edited:

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Boogie Nights 9.5/10 HD

2.5hrs of epicness! The soundtrack is one of my favorites and the character development, plot timeline, and story is great. The movie keeps it real and gritty.

Wanted to watch this again after listening to the Mark Wahlberg interview on Howard Stern related to Pain & Gain.

Only one scene I dislike (back of the limo) and felt it was unnecessary but still shows the depth of the characters in how far they have fallen.

Don Cheadle
Burt Reynolds
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Julianne Moore
John C Reilly
William H MAcy
Heather Graham

Awesome list of actors who all turned in great performances.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
teenage mutant ninja turtles (original) - 11/10 - another one i hadn't seen in probably over 10 years, and my wife had never seen it either. i got the trilogy on bluray a couple weeks back so we popped it in. god this movie is just amazing still to this day. i still remember pretty much every line in the movie from seeing it so many times as a kid. i also can't believe the effects in that movie especially for it's time. the turtles just look awesome and the choreography is great too. whoever the actors are in the costumes are amazing as well. i felt like i was 10 years old again watching it.

I bought the trilogy on Blu-Ray a few months back, and when I watched it, I made sure to do it right. I ordered me a New York style pizza. It was... righteous!! I still need to watch the third one.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
8674286292_e1cb911d3c_b.jpg

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
Oblivion 8/10

I have no idea why the critics are panning this movie. I found it thoroughly enjoyable and well done. Not on par with 2001 a space odyssey or other space epics, but still darn good. Well worth the $11 I paid to see it in the theater.

Whos the baddest mutha fuka of the land

SHO'NUFF!!!

XD

XD

XD

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I bought the trilogy on Blu-Ray a few months back, and when I watched it, I made sure to do it right. I ordered me a New York style pizza. It was... righteous!! I still need to watch the third one.

lol awesome. i should have done that. and on that note...

teenage mutant ninja turtles 2: the secret of the ooze - 7/10

movie is still fun but before we watched it i even told my wife that it is not nearly as serious as the first one and a lot more "childish" and doesn't take itself too seriously. and man did i forget just how childish it was. forgot how babyish toka and razor were, and just how bad their costumes looked especially compared to the turtles and splinter. and i don't remember keno being such a terrible actor, although that dude can kick major ass. but vanilla ice was badass as ever - GO NINJA GO NINJA GO!

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Some of it was playing what other sci-fi movies are in this movie?

Wall-E
Planet of the Apes
Moon
Matrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K49p8Nuxjfc&list=UUwTcFaOYFjIbxHjrmP0ptxw&index=3

I wanted it to be about the video game.

So what if it had some derivative elements. There is very little that comes out today that has a single original concept. Just about everything is derivative.

Bah. . . I don't care what reviewers think anyway. I enjoyed the movie, so that is what matters (to me at least). Your satisfaction may vary.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
The Story of Luke 8/10

About an autistic guy and his quest to be independent. Perfect amount of silly and seriousness. The guy who played Luke did an amazing job.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Oblivion 8/10

I have no idea why the critics are panning this movie. I found it thoroughly enjoyable and well done. Not on par with 2001 a space odyssey or other space epics, but still darn good. Well worth the $11 I paid to see it in the theater.

yup, saw it yesterday, a solid 8/10 for me as well, maybe more like 8.5/10.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
oh i've already seen tmnt3. i only did see it once though, and it was on video. such a travesty... :(

but i will watch it shortly as well on bluray to complete the trilogy, maybe with some ny style pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.