NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 142 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Battleship - Basically an unabashed plug for the U.S. Navy and the U.S. armed forces in general. Seriously, we can defeat technologically advanced aliens with little more than a 70+ year old battleship? Awesome! Now, where are those Navy enlistment forms?

That said, the movie did have good special effects and I did find it entertaining.

So. . . 3/10.

Rock of Ages - 7/10 - if only for the good music and the hilarity that was Tom Cruise playing a sex-crazed rock star.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ted - 5/10: I can't help myself, I'm a big fan of Family Guy, but I'm a fan of the more absurd stuff on the show and not as much of a fan of the water closet humour that pervades the rest of it. Unfortunately Ted was a lot more of the latter and not enough of the former; a cursing, flatulent bear alone, does not a nearly two hour comedy make.

Total Recall - 5/10: I should start by saying I watched the "Extended Director's Cut" version of the film and after reading about what was left out of the theatrical version, I'm not sure how that movie made any sense whatsoever. With this version, we are just left with a pretty bland sci-fi action movie, but at least it has some logical coherence; removing things, like Ethan Hawke, from the movie, would have just made for a puddle of nonsense. At least the original was fun and ridiculous, this one just felt like a paint by numbers story, with fill in the blanks dialogue, and connect the dots plot points. Whoop-de-blah.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 8/10: Cute, funny, and full of heart. Oh and Keira Knightly was fantastic. Really enjoyed this one.

KT

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The Perfect Student - 4/10

Great premise, and a good start, but then it turns into pretty much a Lifetime movie, with nothing but paper cut-out characters, except for the heroin and villain. The end wasn't bad, not all the students were perfect (though all were skinny), and they did a good job of toning down Brea Grant's adorableness. It was well made, but the script lacked any useful character depth, or plot subtlety, for most of the characters, which just killed it, overall. It really needed that, more maniacal behavior, and/or more plot twisting.

i personally cannot stand singing in movies.
But, it's a tradition! :awe:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
i personally cannot stand singing in movies.

Same. There are only one or two musicals I actually truly enjoy. Les Mis was not awful, but I have no desire to ever watch t again, unlike West Side Story and Grease which I can watch multiple times.

KT

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Bridge over the River Kwai 6/10 Don't get the accolades. Guiness was superb, but I don't think it is a great movie.
I don't think it aged well at all, was my feeling when I rewatched this a few years ago.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Same. There are only one or two musicals I actually truly enjoy. Les Mis was not awful, but I have no desire to ever watch t again, unlike West Side Story and Grease which I can watch multiple times.

KT

if you don't like "singing in the rain" you should just /yourself.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
can anyone recommend some good american revolution documentaries on netflix. The search brings up almost nothing. there's 100 ww2, Vietnam and even civil war but no AR
I can't recommend a movie, but there's a book you may like a lot, it's basically first person accounts of people who participated: Voices of 1776

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
The Campaign 3/10

I just kept waiting for it to be better and then it was over. Glad we got it from Redbox and only paid $1

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
And you call yourself a movie aficionado :colbert:

Well I don't really call myself that. :p

It's one of those ones I know I should see, but I just can't bring myself to do so. Maybe I'll pop it in after a bottle of wine one night.

KT

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
the hobbit - 4.5/5

watched this last night and it was the first movie that i watched with my rear surrounds hooked up that i picked up over the weekend, and holy crap the sound was incredible! sounded better than seeing a movie in the theater i did not want to leave my basement!

anyways, my wife and i really enjoyed the movie. watched it in 3d as well and the 3d was very well done and some of the scenes looked incredible, especially some of the ones shot outside with the awesome backgrounds.

it did not feel like a "LOTR" movie to me, and felt like it held it's own. it definitely had a different feel to it, as i felt there was no "leader" like in the LOTR movies. LOTR seemed like it always had 1 main person who was the focus of whatever scene they were on, but i don't know something about this felt different. maybe it was because it is a totally new story and characters (for the most part) so i just wasn't used to anyone yet. but all in all we really enjoyed it and it did NOT feel like it was nearly 3 hours. the time flew by to me.

i also thought the whole backstory of how bilbo aquired the ring was cool, although i felt that scene dragged on quite a bit. there were also other scenes where i wondered why gandalf didn't just use his magic powers when they were always in tough spots instead of waiting to the last minute to do it. the scene with the thunder fights was REALLY awesome, and the end scene with the eagles coming down was awesome too.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
the hobbit - 4.5/5

i also thought the whole backstory of how bilbo aquired the ring was cool, although i felt that scene dragged on quite a bit. there were also other scenes where i wondered why gandalf didn't just use his magic powers when they were always in tough spots instead of waiting to the last minute to do it. the scene with the thunder fights was REALLY awesome, and the end scene with the eagles coming down was awesome too.

The same LOTR plot hole applies. Why didn't gandalf use the eagles in the first place as the express flight to the destination?

If he didn't because the journey is the important, then Gandalf is a puppeteering prick.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The same LOTR plot hole applies. Why didn't gandalf use the eagles in the first place as the express flight to the destination?

If he didn't because the journey is the important, then Gandalf is a puppeteering prick.

yeah and then we wouldn't have any movies to watch too. i am just assuming that he can't use all of his power whenever he wants. like in role playing games and stuff the wizard has a "magic level" type of deal, so i just assume it's something like that.

the same can be said for any role playing game. why not just use a wizard like in god mode?

Oct 25, 2006
yeah and then we wouldn't have any movies to watch too. i am just assuming that he can't use all of his power whenever he wants. like in role playing games and stuff the wizard has a "magic level" type of deal, so i just assume it's something like that.

the same can be said for any role playing game. why not just use a wizard like in god mode?

Gandalf dislikes using magic because it breaks the world. He is only there to guide the races of middle earth, not win every single battle and war for them. If he spammed magic, then he is not fullfilling his god given role.

The Eagles are their own race. The only reason they helped Gandalf at all was that they owed him a favor.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Gandalf dislikes using magic because it breaks the world. He is only there to guide the races of middle earth, not win every single battle and war for them. If he spammed magic, then he is not fullfilling his god given role.

The Eagles are their own race. The only reason they helped Gandalf at all was that they owed him a favor.

gotcha. this makes sense. just been long since i've seen the LOTR movies and i wasn't too focused on the early parts of this movie either because i kept fucking around with my 3d settings to try and get em perfect.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Argo 3.5/5- I thought it was a good movie, but I guess I was expecting a lot better because of all the hype. Ben Affleck did a good job directing it though.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
has anyone seen The Collection? came out at redbox today and thinking of checking it out at some point this week. Killing Them Softly also came out but I'm definitely going to check that one out.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Argo 3.5/5- I thought it was a good movie, but I guess I was expecting a lot better because of all the hype. Ben Affleck did a good job directing it though.

This. I think it got "Best Picture" because the competition was so weak.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Wreck It Ralph 4.5/5 - Liked it a lot. It was a little slow in the middle, but overall, another awesome Pixar movie. Loved all the old comic book characters.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Lay the Favorite - 5/10

The movie is not as bad as the bashing it has received on sites like rotten tomatoes but it ends up being pretty flat. Character development is weak, the story is rushed and it never feels like any of the decisions made by the characters have much depth or thought. The pacing of the story is odd, it just kind of coasts along till the ending credits without much drama. Based on a true story it had potential to be good but it ends up dull and forgettable.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
has anyone seen The Collection? came out at redbox today and thinking of checking it out at some point this week. Killing Them Softly also came out but I'm definitely going to check that one out.

The Collection is the sequel to The Collector (I reviewed them both a few pages ago). You can watch The Collection w/o having seen the Collector, but I don't recommend it as the 2nd one takes place right after the first. The problem is, The Collector is not as good as The Collection. I really liked The Collection quite a bit.

However, I scratch my head when someone asks an internet forum about renting a $1 movie... :)

Last edited:

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
The Campaign 3/10

I just kept waiting for it to be better and then it was over. Glad we got it from Redbox and only paid $1

I so wanted to like that movie. It was terrible. Maybe like 1 good line in there, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.