NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 138 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
T1 was meant to be scary action. People expected more from the premise (thus, T2), but it worked.

T2 was epic and fun. It MORE than "worked." You can't top perfection.

No one involved deluded themselves into thinking that T3 could be as epic and fun as T2, so it just aimed for the "fun" part of T2's formula and succeeded-er, "worked" (LOVE the graveyard scene).

Too many people expectedly compared T3 unfavorably to T2, so it seems like the people making T4 tried to take the other half of the T2 recipe. They tried to make their movie "epic." They failed. HARD. As it turns out, "fun" was the important ingredient post T1. It did NOT "work" without fun. Screw that movie.

If you can't bless us with both like T2, pick "fun" or start your own damned series.

yeah ive seen all the terminators out there i didn't mind 4 that much but that was the only one i've seen in 1080p bluray. plus after watching t1 over again i now understand who young kyle reese was in salvation.

*facepalm*

Last edited:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
30 for 30: You Don't Know Bo

10/10 - I love these 30 for 30s. Watched about 20 minutes of this one and it is well produced. I was a kid when he was a big deal. I understood he was a good athlete. BUt people in this documentary are saying he is one of the best athletes if not the best athlete ever. For example, I guess you could tell him a nuance about a baseball technique that many pros take a year to learn and he'd have perfected it in two days. Can't wait to finish it later tonight.

I just watched this last night on Netflix, and agree it is really good, but I think you will enjoy it more if you lived during that time and knew about Bo. Never really connected Nike's prominence to him, nor that he and the ad campaign about him actually catapulted Nike ahead of Reebok; interesting on the business side of sports also.

---------

Thunder Soul 8/10

Story about a music teacher that turned a bunch of high school kids into a 'funk' big band, and literally won every competition out there, and travelled around the world playing. This guy and his story is actually better than Mr. Holland imo. If Hollywood doesn't jump on this story, they are missing out.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Hey let me get an abortion and get my belly stitched up. I don't even think they stitched up my actual womb and the insides, but who cares.

I'll be running around in full strength capacity in minutes!

Not to mention jacked full of pain meds...but this is another conversation.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Prometheus - 8/10 - My kind of movie. Visually stunning to me. Couple plot issues for me, may just be my lack of understanding... Probably was all hashed out in earlier discussions, but I had avoided them until now.
No. The "plot issues" are not due to any lack of understanding on your part. When you watch this movie again and hope for an explanation to the plot holes, you will develop a seething hatred for Damon Lindelof.

Watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

Sep 29, 2004
Prometheus comment:

6: The goo was going to be used to rerase life from Earth. That's why they couldn't let the ship leave the planet at the end. And the Engieners created us. They must have jsut treated Earth as some sort of experiment. Atelast that was my take. Get it, we were built in the image of the engineers ;-)

The stitched up thing with the abortion didn't bother me. It's based i nteh future and I jsut assumed medicine advanced enough where it wasn't a big deal. had to look it up .... 2089

Term 1: Sci-Fi classic.
Term 2: Awesome action movie with high production quality

Same pattern as:
Alien 1: Sci-Fi classic. (horror even?)
Alien 2: Awesome action movie

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
I just watched this last night on Netflix, and agree it is really good, but I think you will enjoy it more if you lived during that time and knew about Bo. Never really connected Nike's prominence to him, nor that he and the ad campaign about him actually catapulted Nike ahead of Reebok; interesting on the business side of sports also.

Those were itneresting aspects. Cross training shoe sales at Nike went up 1000% with the Bo Jackson ad campaign. That is insane.

I was young when he was a big deal. I knew he got hurt but never knew what happened. it was interesting to be told what specifically what happened to him. What sucks more is if he jsut told the doctors he was hurt that bad, he'd probably have had along career.

But man, I appreciate his personality. Total class act.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
In regard to Prometheus, from what I understood, the black goo is a DNA restructurer. It takes your DNA and restructures it in a way that is determined based on the specific goo. The engineer at the beginning drank the human black goo and created humans. The xenomorph black goo got on a worm and created a weird, Xenomorph-ish creature. It had the acidic blood of a Xenomorph, but I assume that you can't create something more elaborate than what already exists, which is why it didn't magically become something that closer resembles a Xenomorph.

There's definitely a lot that you have to fill in on your own, but I never thought it was hard to understand. Whether my understanding is the correct one or not is debatable though.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
if anyone has seen the life of pi in 3d i've lot to hear your opinion on the 3d effects. i hate how you cannot really rent 3d content from the usual places. and the 3d blurays are always more expensive too, and i hate buying movies now a days cause i rarely watch them more than one time.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
if anyone has seen the life of pi in 3d i've lot to hear your opinion on the 3d effects. i hate how you cannot really rent 3d content from the usual places. and the 3d blurays are always more expensive too, and i hate buying movies now a days cause i rarely watch them more than one time.
I have a lot of DVDs on my shelves. I don't buy many nowadays, manage to avoid it by checking them out of my local library. Still buy once in a while.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I havent purchased anything since I got netflix, and its been like 5 or 6 years now.

i just went to netflix website and it is fucking terrible. i can't even get a list of blurays that they have. can you even get that list after you sign up?

fucking retarded that you can't view everything by bluray unless you sign up, if that is even an option once you sign up. i just want to see if they have any 3d stuff or not.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Jack Reacher - 7.5/10

Fucking Cruise looks like he went back in time 15 years or something. How the fuck does the guy not age? Anyway, kinda interesting plot when it is (as it is) revealed, action, some humor. Not great but it was decent.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
i just went to netflix website and it is fucking terrible. i can't even get a list of blurays that they have. can you even get that list after you sign up?

fucking retarded that you can't view everything by bluray unless you sign up, if that is even an option once you sign up. i just want to see if they have any 3d stuff or not.

almost everything recent is on blu ray.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I still buy a lot of Blu-rays. I prefer the physical format and streaming quality is not on par with baby Blu yet.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Theres like 3 independent sites keeping a database of what Netflix has.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've never seen 3D Blu-Rays at Netflix. I actually just cancelled my 2-disc plan today as I never use it. I still have discs sitting in my living room with Halloween-themed envelopes. o_O

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
My issue with buying now is that I find myself thinking about how much it costs to rent at Red Box. And then I think about how many times I'd have to want the movie for it to make sense to buy it over just renting it over and over from Redbox or Netflix. It's pretty rare that I actually buy now.

The fact that I think like this now that I can actually afford to buy movies kind of pisses me off. :)

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Anyways, I watched Deadfall last night on Netflix. 4/10

So many holes and dumb shit. Didn't make any sense, broke from realism, and didn't make any points. Dumb movie

Deadfall- 5/10

Could have been SO good. Stellar cast in a great setting with a potentially thrilling story line. I'd heard it was kinda bad, but gave it a shot. The first third showed a lot of potential, but it went downhill from there.

The acting from everyone except Bana and Sissy Spacek was mediocre to terrible, characters did stupid, illogical things and the dialogue and character conflicts must have been written by a high school freshman in Creative Writing class.

But I loved the setting, and some of the directing was just fantastic. With a better script, it could have easily been Fargo meets No Country For Old Men, but ended up being a straight-to-video throwaway. Still, acceptable waste of 2 hours.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My issue with buying now is that I find myself thinking about how much it costs to rent at Red Box. And then I think about how many times I'd have to want the movie for it to make sense to buy it over just renting it over and over from Redbox or Netflix. It's pretty rare that I actually buy now.

The fact that I think like this now that I can actually afford to buy movies kind of pisses me off. :)

yeah same lol. it just sucks that they have no 3d content so i think i may splurge for 3d blurays here and there.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000

Find more movies! My problem with renting is that there's still too much they don't have, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've wanted to watch a movie in a Red Box. Then, Netflix goes and drops movies before I get around to watching them.

and netflix.com isn't one of them, unless you are subbed?
No, Netflix isn't one of them, period. Sometimes, their suggestions are good, but that still leaves you in a closed space (FI, they got Red Dwarf, and it didn't come up, despite my having watched several British comedy and scifi series). As a subscriber, you still need to use external resources, because their website is [stupidly] designed to mimic their appliance interfaces, rather than empower you to search and keep up to date, with the instant queue as a set of shared bookmarks.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Find more movies! My problem with renting is that there's still too much they don't have, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've wanted to watch a movie in a Red Box. Then, Netflix goes and drops movies before I get around to watching them.

I worked at Blockbuster (yeah yeah) all through college. Back then I watched all kinds of different movies. I also remember wondering 'why do old people only come in and watch the new releases with 10000 copies on the wall?'. Now I know. I simply don't have time to watch movies anymore, at least not like I used to. I borrowed Skyfall from a coworker last week and it took almost a week to watch it. I borrowed Wreck It Ralph on Wednesday and hope to be able to watch it tonight or tomorrow night.

It's kind of like the movie Old School... There may not be enough time!

Status
Not open for further replies.