NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The Dark Knight Rises - 7.5/10

I went into it expecting the worst. Everyone poo-pooed the film to death in my mind so I pretty much thought it was going to be shitsville. But I was invested so why not. Not that bad really. Bane sounds like Paul Harvey. It was freaking long though.

TED 7/10

Another movie that everyone seemed to hate. Yeah there were some really lame parts and it was definitely predictable. But it had equally funny parts. Plus I think I'd watch pretty much anything with Mila Kunis in it.

i have never met one person who has hated either of these movies. infact, everyone i know who has seen these movies love them both.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
TDKR was a solid meh/10 for me. I would give it a five, but I did not hate it.

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
TDKR was a solid meh/10 for me. I would give it a five, but I did not hate it.

KT

I enjoyed while watching it, but that is because I largely ignored many flaws. If I am to watch that movie again.. I am going to have a hard time looking past them.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I enjoyed while watching it, but that is because I largely ignored many flaws. If I am to watch that movie again.. I am going to have a hard time looking past them.

Yeah, I was not able to look past many of the problems as I watched it and I found it way too long. The whole final 40 minutes or more just irritated me.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Dude, when you say something like that you have to realize that it won't say in your post what movie you're talking about. If a person wants to find out he/she has to search on some of the text you quoted. Not netiquette OK. :whiste: Yeah, I'm feeling pissy, I won't get into it, but I'm right.

I quoted the dude, what more do you want from me? :colbert:

KT

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
saw a few newer ones on Netflix last night.

2 Days in New York: 6.5/10
funny to see Chris Rock take on a role like this. felt like an indie movie. the ex-boyfriend and father were pretty hilarious.

Fire with Fire (2012): 5/10
some good action scenes, but dumb characters all around. rosaria dawson = :thumbsup:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Life of Pi - 7/10.

Could have been a lot better. The visual and CGI are darn good but the story is just a bit odd, especially at the end. Oh, and if I have to hear the main character says "I am sorry" one more time, I am going to scream.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
So, based on the previous page, I watched Killer Joe last night.

7.9/10

It was OK. A ho-hum movie that really redeemed itself with the final 30 minutes. I like movies that are a little bit twisted and this one fit the bill. It turns out that this was actually a play that was adapted to film. I wonder if the scene with the (K-Fry-C) chicken leg was in the play?

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Dove into some Hulu documentaries this past weekend:

Park Avenue -- 7/10
Neat little documentary about the influence of money in American politics. Wasn't quite what I was expecting based on the description, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Didn't really provide anything groundbreaking, but worth checking out if you're into that kind of thing.

Craigslist Joe -- 1/10
Couldn't even finish this - shut it off after 30-35 minutes (day 9 or 10 I think). I like the idea behind the documentary, sorta, but I put as much faith in this filmmaker as I do reality TV. Was a complete waste of time.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Lincoln - 9 / 10
Excellent movie-making. Awesome performances all around. It's so rare for a film like this to be made these days.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Life of Pi - 7/10.

Could have been a lot better. The visual and CGI are darn good but the story is just a bit odd, especially at the end. Oh, and if I have to hear the main character says "I am sorry" one more time, I am going to scream.

Saw it twice and I give it a solid 8.5/10.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Saw it twice and I give it a solid 8.5/10.

Why so (8.5)?

Don't get me wrong, it is NOT a bad movie, just missing some "magic" to become a great movie.

The CGI and visual (in the little boat) are spectacular (at least 9/10 IMO) but the story is just a bit odd and not that great.

Sep 29, 2004
Need some interesting sci fi on Netflix to watch in 15 minutes. Anyone up to the challenge? FWIW: I love vampire movies. But anything that is a fresh look at a genre would be nice.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah, I was not able to look past many of the problems as I watched it and I found it way too long. The whole final 40 minutes or more just irritated me.

I'm with you on that. The Dark Knight Rises was just too long for me to consider it a great movie. For me, if a long movie feels shorter, then chances are it was good enough to pull you in and make you forget about the time, but if it feels long, then it probably wasn't good enough to pull you in. Batman felt like two movies.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Safety Not Guaranteed

ATOTers know the ad well (time travel classified).

Great little movie. Really made me smile. Aubrey Plaza...

8.75/10

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
The Hobbit - 8.0/10 - Watched in HFR 3d but was a bit of a waste, regular 2d would have been fine.

Les Mis - 7.5/10 - I liked and didn't like the movie. Confuses me but it felt sometimes the movie sacrificed quality to be musical, and then other times sacrificed musical quality to be a movie. Overall the product was good but left me wanting a bit.

Sep 29, 2004
Dredd - MEH/10 - To be fair, a 5/10. Maybe I'm getting old and have seen to many movies. I thought Dredd was just a dumb action flick set in the future.

Total Recall - MEH/10 ..... ok 5/10. Good special effects but story was meh.

Aside:
Am I just getting old (now 36) and sick of the same old stories? I found some movies to be very interesting like Let The Right One In (2008). With age, more than ever do I want new plots and concepts.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Ya, saw it in theaters. Same deal. Didn't find anything about it new.

Yeah, I was just joking =) I think that was one of the biggest complaints about the movie, how the story was just a rehash of ones already told (most notably Pocahontas).

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yeah, I was just joking =) I think that was one of the biggest complaints about the movie, how the story was just a rehash of ones already told (most notably Pocahontas).

Tons of movies are rehashes of old stuff but that movie didn't do anything to distance itself from those.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Surely, you mean Dances With Wolves. Surely.

Sep 29, 2004
I have an interesting idea for a historical fiction movie where Hitler is a the protagonist. Problem is that it justifies the killing of Jewish people so it would never get greenlit. I'd love to write a script but I have no idea where to even begin. Probably start by reading 10 scripts to understand the format than having a go at it.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
We Are Legion - 8/10, very good documentary on Anonymous/Lulzsec. It gets a little "power to the people" preachy but was entertained.

This is 40 - 5.5/10, it should have been renamed #firstworldproblems. Overall boring movie about a couple who has everything anyone can want in life but hate each other, then make up, then hate... blah blah blah. Apatow sucks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.