NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 118 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Ted 6.5/10: As someone here already said it, it's pretty much a Family Guy movie. Now that's fine and dandy, but I thought it was actually Inferior to FG humor. It wasn't edgy nor particularly funny. The storyline was a cliche chick flick plot about choosing your best friend or your love. If the story wasn't supposed to be compelling, then at least the humor should've done the job. It did neither.

It wasn't particularly good or bad. It's forgettable, and has zero replay value (compared to other 'stupid' humor movies like Austin Powers or Harold and Kumar).

If you have so many problems with it, why a 6.5? Seems that there was something you liked about it. (I'm actually interested, it is a movie that I'm really on the fence about)

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
If you have so many problems with it, why a 6.5? Seems that there was something you liked about it. (I'm actually interested, it is a movie that I'm really on the fence about)

TED is a 7.5/10 for me. Yes, you can say Ted's story is cliche but that is the kick, he took that typical romcom done-to-death plot device and flipped it around a bit. I really enjoyed the movie, mainly because I watched the movie for its own merits, not comparing it to Family Guy, because really, why would you, as it just tend to ruin the experience.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
TED is a 7.5/10 for me. Yes, you can say Ted's story is cliche but that is the kick, he took that typical romcom done-to-death plot device and flipped it around a bit. I really enjoyed the movie, mainly because I watched the movie for its own merits, not comparing it to Family Guy, because really, why would you, as it just tend to ruin the experience.

I didn't find it nearly as enjoyable as Family Guy. The jokes just weren't that funny.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had a feeling that 'quirkiness' reminded me of Royal Tenanbaums. What do you know? Same director. He also did that Aquatic Life of Dr Zizu or something.

All 3 feature Bill Murray.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Wes Anderson movie I can stand, honestly. Not one. Royal T's, quirky, Life Aquatic, couldn't get past the first 30%, Darjeeling Limited, puke me now. Also, the only Bill Murray movie I liked was Groundhog Day, IIRC.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Guns, knives, chase scenes, car crashes, explosions, fire, cops, alcohol consumption, nudity, sexual violence... I forget the name of the movie.
Jes' Kiddin'
The point being, I give a movie extra points if it avoids these cliches (and manages to be interesting). OK, maybe not nudity. :cool:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Guns, knives, chase scenes, car crashes, explosions, fire, cops, alcohol consumption, nudity, sexual violence... I forget the name of the movie.
Jes' Kiddin'
The point being, I give a movie extra points if it avoids these cliches (and manages to be interesting). OK, maybe not nudity. :cool:

You know it's a bad movie if even the nudity can't keep you interested...speaking of which..anyone seen Antichrist? :D

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I liked Antichrist, though it's nowhere near my favourite LvT movie.

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Expendables 2 - i think the 1st one was better. I didn't enjoy this one as much.

Decisions - I turned this of like 10 minutes in. The acting and story in that time was so terrible i couldn't stand to watch any more.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Moonrise Kingdom -- 8.5/10

If I had to describe it in one word: Quirky.

Edward Norton was hilarious, whether it was intentional or not. The kid actors were either awesome or incredibly weird IRL, I haven't decided. Love how they did the credits, was kind of retro. Had a couple "I'm going to hell for laughing at this" moments...

I thought I was going to hate it since it was more my wife's type of movie than mine, but I ended up liking it a lot.

this wasn't as funny as i thought it would be. Was very weird too.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You know it's a bad movie if even the nudity can't keep you interested...speaking of which..anyone seen Antichrist? :D
Yeah, brings to mind Showgirls. Gorgeous unclad females galore but unerotic as hell. I couldn't figure it out. To quote wikepedia:

While it has been consistently ranked as one of the worst films ever made, Showgirls has become regarded as a cult classic and was released on Blu-ray in June 2010.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Ted: 7/10. I liked it but it was dull at some times. The ending was great, the beginning was great, and the middle had some good parts and some bad parts. You probably need to be drunk to fully appreciate this movie.

Expendables 2: 2/10. I'm being generous here. One point for getting all those guys in the same movie. 1 extra point for Chuck Norris. This movie really had no business being made. I like a good action flick but this one was filled with lame lines and stupid action. I'd rather watch an old 80's flick.

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
Repli-Kate

movie itself: 2/10, dead brained stupid

girl In this movie: 15 / 10 (Something extra years ago when filmed. Beauty, sense of humor, good sport about dumb flick)

The girl makes the movie fun.

Nov 7, 2000
The Grey - 6.9/10 - I thought it would be boring, and I was right, but it was not as boring as I expected. Lovely scenery, nice contrast with that and some pretty intense brief action scenes. What I didn't like -
The wolves were made out to be a bit too supernatural. I am sure they are badass to begin with so I don't think it needs embellishment. When the guy gets trapped in the river and the protagonist is trying to save him.... thats freezing ass water, you cant really spend a lot of time in there. When he got out, he didnt even build a fire... wasn't even wet! I think they could have done a better job using nature as an antagonist beyond just the wolves. There was something else similar that really bothered me but I forget it now...

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Repli-Kate

movie itself: 2/10, dead brained stupid

girl In this movie: 15 / 10 (Something extra years ago when filmed. Beauty, sense of humor, good sport about dumb flick)

The girl makes the movie fun.

She was the only reason that was remotely watchable.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters - 9/10: When I was a little kid I destroyed my left thumb playing Tetris for hours on my friends Gameboy. About ten minutes into Ecstasy of Order I saw Harry Hong playing with a t-shirt wrapped around his thumb and realized these guys, and gals, were way out of my league.

So of course the natural reaction is to compare this to King of Kong, since it follows a similar story (the quest for the best player of an old game in a tournament) and while there is no Billy Mitchell here, I mean there really is only one Billy Mitchell, it is an awesome documentary on a game that pretty much everyone between the ages of twenty and fifty has played.

The doc. mainly follows a small group of very good players who have the highest scores possible and have accomplished things in the game that most of us never even thought possible. We meet them all as they lead up to the and also get the history of competitive Tetris, including a 14 year-old wunderkind named Thor who had won the Nintendo Tetris championships way back in the day. He becomes the elusive, shadowy figure hanging over the competition throughout the film and his story is very interesting when you finally get to hear it.

I loved this documentary because it has everything I look for in this type of film; fun, drama, competition, and nostalgia. I was riveted for the duration.

There are a few negatives; the production quality is a bit lower than some other, similar documentaries, plus I was not a big fan of the narration; the guy's voice was not right for it at all. I also could have used a bit more of the actual tournament stuff, but that may just be me; I could watch people play that game for hours. Something about seeing people at the absolute peak of what they are doing is quite fascinating and satisfying to watch.

Now I just need someone to do a documentary on Street Fighter II. Maybe I could even be in it. :D

KT

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Queen of Versailles - 8/10

Maybe I just like documentaries, who knows. Docu showed a timeshare tycoon from his peak (before the Lehman Bros crash) and after. Sort of a riches to rags story. Interesting to see what it's like on the other side, and the thought process involved - mo money mo problems forreal.

Available on Amazon Instant.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Watched the tv series Ringer over the last few days. 6.5/10.

Every so often, it was difficult to know who was who (it's a show about twins), and that annoys me. Like alternate reality/dream sequences can and often do annoy.

But the story was interesting, and almost perfectly wrapped up as if they knew it wasn't coming back for season 2.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters - 9/10: When I was a little kid I destroyed my left thumb playing Tetris for hours on my friends Gameboy. About ten minutes into Ecstasy of Order I saw Harry Hong playing with a t-shirt wrapped around his thumb and realized these guys, and gals, were way out of my league.

So of course the natural reaction is to compare this to King of Kong, since it follows a similar story (the quest for the best player of an old game in a tournament) and while there is no Billy Mitchell here, I mean there really is only one Billy Mitchell, it is an awesome documentary on a game that pretty much everyone between the ages of twenty and fifty has played.

The doc. mainly follows a small group of very good players who have the highest scores possible and have accomplished things in the game that most of us never even thought possible. We meet them all as they lead up to the and also get the history of competitive Tetris, including a 14 year-old wunderkind named Thor who had won the Nintendo Tetris championships way back in the day. He becomes the elusive, shadowy figure hanging over the competition throughout the film and his story is very interesting when you finally get to hear it.

I loved this documentary because it has everything I look for in this type of film; fun, drama, competition, and nostalgia. I was riveted for the duration.

There are a few negatives; the production quality is a bit lower than some other, similar documentaries, plus I was not a big fan of the narration; the guy's voice was not right for it at all. I also could have used a bit more of the actual tournament stuff, but that may just be me; I could watch people play that game for hours. Something about seeing people at the absolute peak of what they are doing is quite fascinating and satisfying to watch.

Now I just need someone to do a documentary on Street Fighter II. Maybe I could even be in it. :D

KT

You forgot to mention that Thor is a member: our very own Arkaign.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters - 9/10:

After reading your review yesterday, I found this doc on Hulu and watched it. I loved it! I would also rate it a 9/10. Great doc! I wish there were more like this and King of Kong.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Queen of Versailles - 8/10

Maybe I just like documentaries, who knows. Docu showed a timeshare tycoon from his peak (before the Lehman Bros crash) and after. Sort of a riches to rags story. Interesting to see what it's like on the other side, and the thought process involved - mo money mo problems forreal.

Available on Amazon Instant.

I've heard this is decent, though at times I've heard it stretches believabality. Still want to see it though.

You forgot to mention that Thor is a member: our very own Arkaign.

Didn't want to call him out in case he wanted to maintain a small amount of anonymity.

After reading your review yesterday, I found this doc on Hulu and watched it. I loved it! I would also rate it a 9/10. Great doc! I wish there were more like this and King of Kong.

Yeah, like I said in my review, I want a Street Fighter II doc! I could watch these things endlessly. Glad you liked it too!

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.