NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 105 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Argo - 8/10 - Never has a real movie about a fake movie been so intriguing! I thought the movie did have a bit too much of a lull near the middle, but that end will certainly keep you on the edge of your seat. I thought the oddest thing had to be Affleck as the main character. When he said his name (Tony Martinez), I got this look on my face: o_O. I was fairly certain that Martinez has Hispanic origins, and Affleck doesn't exactly fit that bill too well. When they showed the actual people after the movie was over, everyone else fit the original people fairly well (80-90% match)... except for Affleck. :p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Daybreakers 4/10: Interesting premise and twist on the Vampire theme. However, about halfway in the story begins to weaken substantially with a sense of it being rushed, but also it begins to break the credulity barrier.

I felt the same as well. The beginning had me real interested since it was a cool spin on vampires but it got real predictable after that.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
The Cabin in the Woods - 7/10

Pretty decent, different "horror" movie. I enjoyed the stereotypes and where they went with it, although it was a bit too much by the end, imo. The overall metaphor worked pretty well, if a bit too literal. Some good, genuine humorous moments.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Prince of Persia: Sands o fTime - 7.5/10

I went in with super low expectations and liked it. Only distraction was that every "Persian" was white with a tan. Otherwise, it was a very entertaining movie with a simple plot and story. Not too surprised that it bombed in the US box office though.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Argo 8/10

Watchable. Some pretty intense parts. Some things didn't make much sense. I don't know why Affleck's character assumes the Hollywood guy would know what "exfil op" means...and I don't know why the Hollywood guy seemed to know immediately.

[edit]
Changed from 7.5 to 8.0 because it's really much better than all the garbage I've seen this year.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Argo. 7.5/10.

Watchable. Some pretty intense parts. Some things didn't make much sense. I don't know why Affleck's character assumes the Hollywood guy would know what "exfil op" means...and I don't know why the Hollywood guy seemed to know immediately.

Because he helped the CIA on numerous occasions, which I'm pretty sure was mentioned in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chambers_(make-up_artist)
John Chambers was also given the highest civilian award from the CIA for his help with numerous transformations.[3][4] Some of his work can be seen at the International Spy Museum in Washington D.C. He also set up the cover story of a film crew planning to shoot a science fiction film in Iran for his special effects colleague Tony Mendez in order to rescue some American embassy personnel who escaped capture by the Iranian militants and were given sanctuary by Canadian diplomats in November 1979.[5]In the 2012 film Argo inspired by this episode Chambers is portrayed by John Goodman.[6]

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Avengers - 5/10 -overhyped - but entertaining. Very comic book like, which is good. Hated the guy who played loki with a passion.

Prometheus -8/10. Really enjoyed this Alien prequel. Good story, interesting characters, great effects.

End of watch - 9/10 - Very good movie. Intense. Wife and I had a hard time with the ending (she is a federal law enforcement officer).

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Prometheus: 4/10

I want an answer to this question: You had 30 years to come up with a story and this is what we got? This movie had about as much depth to it as an after school special. Guy Pierce in an old man skin suit. Charlize strutting around with a stick up her butt except for one time when the captain asks if she wants to get laid. Lots of black ooze. An android that can magically read and manipulate alien languages and cryptics. Then throw in the other oddball stuff like the scared biologist who wants nothing to do with the place and then in a complete turn of character wants to interact with a creature that he has no idea what it is or capable of. Or when a giant ass ship is rolling in a line at you instead of turning left or right you continue running straight. Or that a trillion dollar ship meant to detect life can't detect a lifeform approaching it from a distance until it's at the cargo bay.

Uhg.

Yeah I read a lot of these complaints in the "official" thread about the movie but I tried to ignore them and suspend any opinions until afterwards. Well here I am a couple days removed from watching it and just kinda annoyed that the creator of such an interesting franchise managed to crap out this product.

Points awarded for some cool scenery on the flyovers, a good performance by the guy who played David, and a decent sound mix.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

I want an answer to this question: You had 30 years to come up with a story and this is what we got? This movie had about as much depth to it as an after school special. Guy Pierce in an old man skin suit. Charlize strutting around with a stick up her butt except for one time when the captain asks if she wants to get laid. Lots of black ooze. An android that can magically read and manipulate alien languages and cryptics. Then throw in the other oddball stuff like the scared biologist who wants nothing to do with the place and then in a complete turn of character wants to interact with a creature that he has no idea what it is or capable of. Or when a giant ass ship is rolling in a line at you instead of turning left or right you continue running straight. Or that a trillion dollar ship meant to detect life can't detect a lifeform approaching it from a distance until it's at the cargo bay.

Uhg.

Yeah I read a lot of these are complaints in the "official" thread about the movie but I tried to ignore them and suspend any opinions until afterwards. Well here I am a couple days removed from watching it and just kinda annoyed that the creater of such an interesting franchise managed to crap out this product.

Points awarded for some cool scenery on the flyovers, a good performance by the guy who played David, and a decent sound mix.
I pretty much feel the same. I wont even go into plot holes.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Movie: 50/50

Drama / Comedy about a young chap dealing with life threatening cancer.

I give it a 9/10 because it really hits home and makes you appreciate life, you only live once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50/50_(2011_film)
I blurbed this here before I believe, but here goes again for current-ness (not currency):
- - - -
50/50 7.5/10

In 3 words: Candy Coated Death

Very good casting and acting. It's Hollywood, but it doesn't deal in the kind of death Hollywood deals with constantly, being guns, explosions, knives, cars, etc. It deals with the kind you're much more likely to get, i.e. cancer in one of its many forms. They went to some trouble to get a lot of details correct, evidently, about this particular kind of rare cancer, but some of the scenes were preposterous. I wouldn't see it again, myself. How much you like it would depend on your tolerance for the candy coating involved, IMO. More than anything, it's kind of a buddy movie. The DVD cover hyped it as a comedy, but I didn't find it funny.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Expendables 2 - 6/10

All you need to watch is the first ten minutes to tell if you will like the movie or not - the guys kill an insane number of people in the opening set. And I happened to like it.
You won't find characters with depth here but you will find a lot of action and sometimes that's all that you need.
Is it great? Hell no. But it is a fun time.

I agree...it's not the "greatest" movie ever made... but it is one the best all out action movies I have seen in a long time. Having Chuck Norris in it was just awesome...I hope they do a third...just to see bullets fly, stuff blow up and hear great one liners!

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

If you see the deleted/extended scenes a lot of these issues are addressed.

My main problem with it was
the alien at the end. This more than likely isn't the planet in Alien/Aliens, so there was no need to have an alien at this point. And even with the extended scenes, like the Shaw character, I want to know why they decided to wipe out earth. Or even why he is in suspended animation for the 2000 years, wakes up, and then tries to go to earth again. You would think he would have been afraid of whatever it was that he was hiding from. What the black goo was from the opening scene, how it reacted to the Engineers, and looking at the Engineer corpses didn't really sync up. Or why the worms didn't break down into base DNA and form some building blocks of life instead of mutating into hentai snakes. Or why did Shaw birthed an octopus...

I guess you can attribute it to a bad batch of black goo with unpredictable effects,
but I feel like I need to see Prometheus 2 to feel good about this movie.

Prometheus 6.5/10

I watched Alien right after, and one thing that stands out was the characters were much better in Alien. Aside from Idris Elba and Fastbender, none of the characters were all that interesting. And even then, Elba's character wasn't developed all that well. In Alien, you know the characters pretty well after the 10 minutes of leaving stasis. I don't think Prometheus stands on its own very well, but with a sequel, I think it will be alright. Thing is, I wasn't expecting to need a sequel.

3D review - 10/10

Outstanding. 3D used mainly for depth, which adds to the clarity of all the scenes. Minimal cross talk/ghosting. The holographic UIs in the movie are sweet. I watched the 3D version first, then the 2D on a second viewing, and 2D seemed flat.

Sep 29, 2004
WEREWOLF: THE BEAST AMONG US - 8/10. I almost want to give this a 10/10 but I think that is mostly due to a run of horrible movies lateley. This is about a group of werewolf hunters that are hunting a werewolf. But this one is not as mindless as most werewolfs. I won't say too much as to ruin the story but this werewolf seems to be selectively targetting specific groups of people. And the plot thickens .... I enjoyed it quite a bit because it was a unique twist on the old story. It is not another werewolf kills people, people kill werewolf type story. There is more to it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Prometheus 4/10

I wonder if it is due to studio interference. The script is jumbled, cast is wrong. They couldn't find an old actor to play Wayland?

Contrite and painful to watch. This thing has plot holes that can swallow the Pacific Fleet.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
WEREWOLF: THE BEAST AMONG US - 8/10. I almost want to give this a 10/10 but I think that is mostly due to a run of horrible movies lateley. This is about a group of werewolf hunters that are hunting a werewolf. But this one is not as mindless as most werewolfs. I won't say too much as to ruin the story but this werewolf seems to be selectively targetting specific groups of people. And the plot thickens .... I enjoyed it quite a bit because it was a unique twist on the old story. It is not another werewolf kills people, people kill werewolf type story. There is more to it.

I heard about this from a coworker, who also really like it. Going to watch it tomorrow, can't wait!

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Prometheus 4/10

I wonder if it is due to studio interference. The script is jumbled, cast is wrong. They couldn't find an old actor to play Wayland?

Contrite and painful to watch. This thing has plot holes that can swallow the Pacific Fleet.

I sincerely doubt the studio bungled this one. They were willing to let Ridley release this as an R rating so I think they trusted him, too much. Personally i enjoyed the movie but when you question everything it falls to pot very quickly.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I sincerely doubt the studio bungled this one. They were willing to let Ridley release this as an R rating so I think they trusted him, too much. Personally i enjoyed the movie but when you question everything it falls to pot very quickly.

Yeah its best not to question the first four movies too much. Just enjoy them for what they are.
For 3 that requires a lot of patience and tolerance, but it can be done.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Alright, I didnt think Hostel 1 and 2 were particularly good, in fact I watched them mostly out of boredom.
But Hostel 3 was just fucking stupid. It didnt even have all the titties.

I dont feel like rating it the flick was so bad.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

I thought all Alien movies were R rated?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I thought all Alien movies were R rated?

Yeah and the first two had "2012" adjusted budgets of under $40 million. Alien was done for around $11 million (35 million adjusted) and Aliens was around $18.5 million(39 million adjusted).

Prometheus was done for between $100-$150 million. R-Ratings are a curse for box office sales. You limit out a huge audience. Terminator 2 is one of the few movies to really break that barrier. With a budget that big movie studios are hesitant to restrict sales so much.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah and the first two had "2012" adjusted budgets of under $40 million. Alien was done for around $11 million (35 million adjusted) and Aliens was around $18.5 million(39 million adjusted).

Prometheus was done for between $100-$150 million. R-Ratings are a curse for box office sales. You limit out a huge audience. Terminator 2 is one of the few movies to really break that barrier. With a budget that big movie studios are hesitant to restrict sales so much.

But that does not really apply for Prometheus. I mean everyone was looking forward to it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
But that does not really apply for Prometheus. I mean everyone was looking forward to it.

I wasnt, and I consider myself kind of a fan. The AVP movies turned me off from new stuff.
Which is a little ironic cuz AvP 2 is one of my most favorite games in the whole wide world.

Status
Not open for further replies.