NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2000
Another Earth - 7.7/10 - Another interesting movie. Wish they had developed the sci-fi aspect a little more, but I also liked that it wasn't emphasized. They didnt try to remake the world into this sci-fi environment, rather take a pretty plain normal world and tack on one huge intriguing sci-fi element. My wife enjoyed it, which says a lot for the drama part of it.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
bubba ho-tep - 3/10 - an interesting concept that fails to deliver. It is a comedy but i did not laugh much. A few times i giggled but that was it. Basically, elvis presley is still alive and in a elderly care facility. He and someone who thnks he is jfk realize that a mummy is killing people there. And the obvious plot-line happens. Very few laughs happen along with it.

blasphemy!!!

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Jaws on Blu-ray 9.9 out 10... Still a fantastic film with some small flaws -however the blu-ray restoration is impeccable...

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
The flowers of war - 9.5, great movie, very touching, I thought this was just another 2hr+ long romantic love story in a war setting, I was totally wrong. The only reason I didn't give this a 10 is because Christian Bale's character, a mortician, why would he travel to China for a job during a war.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
12 Angry Men - Caught this on Youtube a little while ago, really enjoyed it. Some of the camera work is questionable and there's a little overacting going on, but for the most part each one of the men nails their parts and turn a simple premise into a really compelling movie. They did a great job at making each juror unique and realistic.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Hunger Games - 2.5/10

Terrible. Suffers from all the typical book-to-theaters films. Character development was abysmal. Felt rushed, even in over two hours.

The action was going to be the only thing that might make it bearable, and it didn't. Shaky cam ruined the potentially most epic action sequence in the movie.

Plus I can never get over little things like Rue being black. Totally ruins the perception from the book. I probably sound like a racist. Cinna was actually a great match. Rue sucked.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007

Plus I can never get over little things like Rue being black. Totally ruins the perception from the book. I probably sound like a racist. Cinna was actually a great match. Rue sucked.

RUE WAS BLACK jesus fucking christ you people who jumped on that. You read what you want to read...yes it is racist

Collins writes this description of Rue in the book:

And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she’s very like Prim in size and demeanor.

And Thresh:

The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance stops there. He's one of the giants, probably six and half feet tall and built like an ox.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
The Dictator - 3/10

So I guess when Cohen's movies got called out on being fake he decided to attempt a regular movie with some "edge" to it and this is what we got. It seemed like a B "Adam Sandler esque" type of movie and was not nearly edgy enough. We get the normal sterotype gags that he did in his last movies with nothing really new added. While I did get some chuckles (helicopter scene in particular) there are long parts of the movie that are just not funny with lame gags thrown in. About a third of the way through the movie it becomes painfully predictable.

I think it is obvious that Sacha Baron Cohen hit his peak too early with "Borat" and it just seems like he is grabbing for straws. For a movie that could have had some real promise it turns out to be a let down and sticks to being much more safe. He should stick with the Borat and Bruno format in the future, though I don't know if this can be done effectively anymore.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Hunger Games - 2.5/10

Terrible. Suffers from all the typical book-to-theaters films. Character development was abysmal. Felt rushed, even in over two hours.

The action was going to be the only thing that might make it bearable, and it didn't. Shaky cam ruined the potentially most epic action sequence in the movie.

I'm with you on this. I haven't read the books, but watching this you could just tell "cut cut cut" happened. There was very little motivations for the characters to be like they were in the movie due to obvious character developments left out.

That being said, I actually LIKED what the film was trying to be and could tell I would like the book, and that it suffered the usual book to movie issues, although I doubt I'll ever actually read it.

Nov 7, 2000
Humpday - 4.9/10 - Started watching bc it starred Mark Duplass whom I really like from The League. I did miss the first part of the movie (I guess when the friend shows up, they get drunk and come up with their plan). Basically, I thought the acting was subpar, story was not funny (though it could have been), and the characters pretty unlikeable.

A Good Old Fashioned Orgy - 7.1/10 - Also set this one to DVR bc it starred another guy from The League. This one didn't disappoint at least. Not great, but some funny moments. I think they did a decent job establishing the dynamics of the group in a relate-able way, even if the plot direction was pretty outrageous.

Sherlock Holmes - Game of Shadows - 7.3/10 - Slow starting, a bit too long. Hard to understand some of the lines. I enjoyed it more when the action kicked up a notch. Wife fell asleep during, and she loves action movies. Im not sure I like the supernatural matrix style kung fu Sherlock, but it makes for neat visuals. I want to go to that castle....

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Casa de mi Padre : 3/10 - Weird Will Farrell flick that didn't have very many laughs. It was intentionally terrible, but the trailer is better than the movie.

The Avengers : 5.5/10 - I was quite disappointed overall. Well below what I expect of Joss Whedon.

The Newsroom : 9/10 - An outstanding new HBO series by Aaron Sorkin. Jeff Daniels is supremely good here, along with an excellent cast and of course exquisite writing. I have a couple of quibbles about things here and there, but overall a great great show.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Knowing(Netflix) 7/10: I liked this impending apocalypse story. A few times I kinda was lightly facepalming, but it managed to keep me interested through to the end.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Crash - 8.5-10 : powerful scenes ,I liked the ambiguity,lots of shades of gray,sometimes it goes the feel good way;I couldn`t really tell how much realism is involved since I`m not familiar with American society but I feel the director made a good job not taking sides or creating super heroes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Knowing(Netflix) 7/10: I liked this impending apocalypse story. A few times I kinda was lightly facepalming, but it managed to keep me interested through to the end.

Was a decent movie up until the ending, has to be one of the worst movie endings I have ever seen and that really took it down a big notch. Me and my buddies watched the movie together and we all collectively looked at each other during the ending and went "WTF?!"

Oct 25, 2006
Was a decent movie up until the ending, has to be one of the worst movie endings I have ever seen and that really took it down a big notch. Me and my buddies watched the movie together and we all collectively looked at each other during the ending and went "WTF?!"

Ending was fine. I don't exactly know what you were expecting considering the entire movie premise was based on supernatural future telling abilities

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Breaking Bad 10/10: Can a TV show get any better than this? Tight plot, minimal plot holes, and just very well kept together. All characters are well developed and believable. The suspense is amazing most pivotal points. This has to be one of the best drama in TV of recent years.

Put a hold on it at my local library. That's pretty high praise, thanks.

- -
Crash - 8.5-10 : powerful scenes ,I liked the ambiguity,lots of shades of gray,sometimes it goes the feel good way;I couldn`t really tell how much realism is involved since I`m not familiar with American society but I feel the director made a good job not taking sides or creating super heroes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/

I really dug Crash. Not perfect but that doesn't matter, not with this movie. Roger Ebert's review of Crash is great:

Ebert on Crash
- - - -
Source Code, 2011 7.5/10

Sci fi, preposterous, but not without its appeal. It's kind of a Groundhog Day 30 years later for the digital age. Michelle Monahagn was just hot hot hot! I guess they told her to turn on the flirt and boy, did she! Phenomenal! Not sure how rewatchable it is.
- -
"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." -- Albert Einstein

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine - 5/10 - pretty boring documentary that is more about the drama of the Kasparov vs Deep Blue event than the technology or anything else. Because of this I was bored by it. Learned a few things but i found it stupid.
Kasperov thought that a grand master was helping make critical decisions for Deep Blue and/or verifying that moves were not blunders. Especially in match 2 when Deep Blue did a few things Kasperov never saw a computer do before. Aslso, after match 4 of 6, Kasperov was ready to quit because he was convinced that there was human grandmaster involvement on IBMs side since IBM refused to provide logs that gave an idea of Deep Blues thinking process. Not sure what the log had but I'd assume that it gave a "top 10" ideas along with the actual decision.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Wonderland (2003)

7.5/10

I would have preferred a little more story. It seemed short at 1:40:00. Some of the plot felt a little unexplored. But I did enjoy the performances by Val Kilmer and Josh Lucas.

I am SO glad that kind of thing won't happen to me. Ever.

Death Wish (1974)

6/10

Paul didn't mess around; got straight to the killin'. :twisted: One thing I've wondered about scenes of violence against women in movies/tv: how does the male know when to stop and not hurt the actress? Especially if it's obviously not a stunt double. It looks so real sometimes.

Kaldari

Apr 19, 2011
Senna - 10/10

If you have any interest in Formula 1, watch it. The cars being driven around that time are the fastest ever in F1, even compared to today.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Hanna - 7/10

Didn't really have any expectations going in.

It was on HBO and I was home sick this past Monday and decided to give it a try.

The girl that played Hanna did a convincing job IMO and everything was more or less well acted. Felt like a bit of wasted time in the middle focusing on non-core elements (IMO) like the kiss scene but whatever, it was decent movie overall.

Cabin in the Woods - 9/10

I loved the jabs it took at the genere and even the whole speech by Sigourney Weaver. Just a fun movie that was well written and executed IMO.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Wonderland (2003)

7.5/10

I would have preferred a little more story. It seemed short at 1:40:00. Some of the plot felt a little unexplored. But I did enjoy the performances by Val Kilmer and Josh Lucas.

Now watch Boogie Nights and compare.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Wonderland (2003)

7.5/10

Now watch Boogie Nights and compare.

I enjoyed Boogie Nights too. Better, in most regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.