NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 1000 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I recently picked up some old anime - about 20 years. "The Big O" and "Witch Hunter Robin." The first was a little disappointing but I love media that is dark and somewhat understated. Also both are quite mysterious. WHR pulls that off wonderfully, TBO to a lesser extent. TBO I think is more geared to a very young male audience while WHR is more sophisticated. I can highly recommend WHR.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

this is why we can't have nice things. Now we're never gonna get a new thread.

I watched The Channel - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15665274/reference/

Super-straight and (aside from an opening scene all in nightvision) fairly competent heist drama, with credible action, but, lacking charm and inspiration.
Close in style to Extraction (1), just a bunch of dudes in military gear having realistic shootouts, and that's about all of the script.

6/10 if you are into that sort of things.

Jul 27, 2020
I don't usually watch anime but picked up Claymore from someone. Couldn't stop watching till I finished all the episodes.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Not watched any anime in a while, and even when I was, it wasn't anything new.

I've been enjoying Vinland Saga though. First season was good, and had plenty of action. I wondered how they would top it going into further seasons. Second season was far less action, but more mature drama and discussion of humanity and the world. It's been engaging, and better than I expected when it was repeatedly recommended to me by others.

Where 2nd season left off could fit as a series ending, but also allows for continuation of the storyline. I hope they keep going with more seasons, I'm kind of hooked.

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Where 2nd season left off could fit as a series ending, but also allows for continuation of the storyline. I hope they keep going with more seasons, I'm kind of hooked.
Yeah, that's how witch hunter ended too but at this point I suppose that's unlikely at best.

I suppose I should apologize for not putting my comments in the anime thread but I can't even find it at this point. Just did a title search on 'anime' and only two hits are from this year - and not thread I was looking for.

Reactions: Pohemi

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I know 70mm has been around a long time, I just didn't know there was such a difference between traditional 70mm and IMAX 70mm. Like I said...I thought it was mainly aspect ratio.

from what I understand, it's really difficult to directly compare/infer between film and digital formats. I recall 6 MP being the first primary goal of digital cameras, because that was the supposed "resolution" of 35mm film---but even so, the digital standard then was just APSC (or whatever it's called) sized sensors and not the full-frame standard for film cameras. I think 6MP is actually ~3.5k or "fake" 4K?

Digital 4K film cameras, and only hyper expensive super professional models at that, were still a decade away from that 6MP milestone for DSLRs. I don't really know what all of this means, other than film media has a lot of life left in it and sensitivities (color reproduction and contrast) that it seems digital still can't quite "perfect." I also don't think it scales linearly, because it's not like film has pixels. It can only ever be an approximation, and I'm not sure how accurate it would be to try and draw a quantified comparison between color depth and all that.

Honestly, no original source should ever be digital (outside of real cost needs, I guess), because film stock allows for far much more processing as long as you maintain it (expensive, though). I mean, professional, archived material.

I recall one of the more hilarious blunders in that 6MP/mini DV (lol!) era where Dave Gilmour (maybe it wasn't him), wanted that show in Gadansk recorded in digital...which at the time was mini-DV format. So, kinda sorta DVD, at 640P or whatever that is. lol. It will only ever be that shitty now, with no hope of improving that turd.

And didn't Lucas do this with the shitty prequels, and they are all trapped at 1080P now? I could be wrong.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And didn't Lucas do this with the shitty prequels, and they are all trapped at 1080P now? I could be wrong.

Episode One was shot on 35mm. Episodes Two and Three were shot on digital with masters at 1440x1080 IIRC.

Its nearly criminal in my opinion not to shoot mid and large budget stuff on film and send the negatives and interpositives to the salt mines where it may safely lay in wait for future need and advances in display technology.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
eXistenZ - watched this oldie last night for the first time in decades. it's pretty appropriate these days as we start to approach the worlds of virtual reality and AI. Jude Law and Jennifer Jason Leigh and a young Willem Dafoe. 7/10

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Happy Birthday @Muse . I am looking forward to a thorough review of the film when you are back.
My viewing of Oppenheimer in 70mm/IMAX is set for Aug. 15.

I have some connections to this. As an undergraduate I was a physics major at UC Berkeley in the early 1960s. They (Cal, the Physics Department in particular) had major connections to the Livermore laboratories (in Livermore, CA and the Berkeley Hills above the Cal campus) and aided in extensive work on nuclear weapons. Also, my father (a newly minted M.D. living in Manhattan) was apparently recruited by the government to work in The Manhattan Project. He demurred, went to fight the Japanese in the Pacific Theater instead, 2nd half of WW II. I figure to have a significant visceral reaction to this movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: stargazr

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Good Omens season 2 7/10

Not as good as the first season, but since it ended on a cliffhanger I hope season 3 wraps it up nicely.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Secret Invasion final episode was good. Better than all the previous ones. Music is too cheesy.

Hijack (Apple TV) Ep6 had a pretty wild ending.

Foundation S02E03 was pretty good.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Secret Invasion final episode was good. Better than all the previous ones. Music is too cheesy.

I watched the whole thing and besides being bored to tears the only real burning question on my mind is how in the absolute hell Disney spent in EXCESS of 200M dollars making this.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What?

WHAT???????

Most of it must have gone into the actor's pockets.

Otherwise, it's Kevin Feige.

Plot/visual effects/locations were all very subpar. Color palette was so muted.

If the tab on the actors was more than 40M all in I'd be very surprised. Even at 160-170M I still have a lot of questions about what got spent where because that kind of money is not on screen. It's almost doubt the cost per episode of Andor where every dime is visible.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
A Most Wanted Man - This turned out to be Philip Seymour Hoffman's last starring role. This is a slow paced brooding burner that tells a fascinating story about espionage and the war on terror. Absolutely tragic but a story that needed to be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.