NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Insidious - 6.5/10
The first half of this movie was excellent and very creepy. The second half...not so much. It really took a strange direction that really didn't match up with the build up and high quality of the first half. It was still enjoyable and great for a few scares.

Source Code - 8.5/10
I really enjoyed this movie. The plot, the characters, the action and the pace of the movie all was great. I really can't think of much to complain about, but I also wouldn't say it was the best movie I have ever seen. Overall it's just a lot of fun and an enjoyable movie to watch.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hahaha, I just saw Perknose's reply to my post in forum issues about this very subject. I'm glad to see you posted the new thread KT.

Iphigenia
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076208/
7.5/10

I like movies made about ancient myths. This film was based on the myth of Iphigenia. I was surprised at the caliber of acting in this film. Story was told very well, it was a bit boring at times, but things picked up around the middle of the movie a bit. Overall this was a powerful and good film.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Biutiful - 9/10
Passionate and haunting, incredible acting by Javier Bardem. Definitely watch it if you're in the mood for a sub-titled flick!

Reactions: shortylickens

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Source Code - 3/10 to 0/10.
Why? It's shit; that's why. Ok, more elaborate: Numerous plot holes, overuse of jargon("Charge the drivers"), a movie theme that has been overdone AND done poorly in this case(Groundhog Day meets The Matrix), and just... really bad.

To start: They explain the device (The best part is you can just say they were lying to cover it all up) as something that reconstructs reality from peoples 8 minute memories or whatever. Now let me ask you this, "WTF?" Alright, this is an issue because how would you A) Get INTACT OR EVEN PARTIALLY INTACT PIECE OF BRAIN MATTER FROM AN EXPLODED FIREBALL OF APOCALYPSE TRAIN? B) Reconstruct that shit! C) DO IT SO FUCKING FAST D) Have the information to know things beyond the borders of the train + things like the bomb. (If anyone who knew didn't blow up on the train, how the fuck can you render it?)

Now let's say they're lying. Maybe it's a magical thingy majibber that allows access to other universes. OK, WHATEVER... Now he's on a train doing this process many times. WHY EIGHT MINUTES THEN? And why does his watch set to eight minutes so fucking fast and easy? I don't own a watch, but I thought it would take longer. And.. wh... fuck it. Let's skip to some shit that really makes no sense.

They end the movie with the two presumably going on to live happily ever after lives and have babies. WTF WHY? The girl is presumably wanting to date a HISTORY TEACHER WHO DOESN'T LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THIS ARMY GUY. So... when he goes to his "job" and finds out he can't teach history for shit because he's a grunt... WHAT HE DO? When she finds out that he's really from an alternate universe, WHAT SHE GONNA DO? There's so many holes... like why is she liking the guy who actually isn't that guy? She's known the history teacher for WEEKS (She said she's been waiting for him to ask for weeks... SHE LIKES THE HISTORY GUY. NOT THE FUCKING ARMY GRUNT WTFZIHPRTUJKTWETREUH9234r08rt).

So many problems with this movie. AND THE FUCKING CHARACTERS. HOLY SHIT DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED. THE ACTING... OH GOD THE ACTING MADE ME WANT TO HURL

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
THE TROLLS OF TRIDENT (2011)

this uwe boll film fetuaring robin williams as TridenT promised rousing action and endless laughs, but unfortunetly it delivered niether. i found that it was far too long but lacked any real content, additionaly it was insipid dull boring and uninspiring. as a result i didnt even finish watching the whole thing. and i was more disapointed than angry.

i give it...

ban/10

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hall Pass 7/10
Pretty typical buddy comedy movie. Two dudes constantly annoy their wife's by looking at other ladies and talking about how much they would score if they weren't married. Their wife's finally get fed up with it and give them a week off from marriage to do whatever they want and of coarse things don't go the way the guys figured. It has it's share of laughs and entertained me but isn't anything special.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hall Pass 7/10
Pretty typical buddy comedy movie. Two dudes constantly annoy their wife's by looking at other ladies and talking about how much they would score if they weren't married. Their wife's finally get fed up with it and give them a week off from marriage to do whatever they want and of coarse things don't go the way the guys figured. It has it's share of laughs and entertained me but isn't anything special.

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Hall Pass 7/10

Hall Pass 7/10

dualy noted

Last edited:

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
The Sorcerer's Apprentice - 2010

Worth watching for Nicholas Cage playing his usual crazy self and Alfred Molina (Doc Oc from Spiderman 2) as an over-the-top bad guy. Special effects are quite well done.

Otherwise the story is extremely predictable and just reeks of Disney attempting to rip off the Harry Potter franchise. Kids will probably enjoy it.

4/10

Reactions: shortylickens

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Killing - 9/10:
Stanley Kubrick's 1956 film noir. I watched this for the first time a few nights ago; I wanted something short before bed, and at 85 minutes this was perfect. I wish more films were like this, straight and to the point. The movie is about a heist at a race track, the planning, the execution, and aftermath. It was quick, but it didn't feel rushed, nor were there any lulls in the story, well paced.

Sterling Hayden was very good in the lead role, and the supporting cast was solid. Apparently Rodney Dangerfield is an extra during the
bar fight scene
but I haven't gone back to check. And this movie got Kubrick hired to direct Paths of Glory, coincidentally another short film, which I'll probably watch soon.

Going in Style - 7.5/10:
Cute little comedy starring George Burns. Without much left to live for, he and two of his also elderly friends decide to rob a bank. If they get away with it, they have some money to throw around. If they get caught, a little slap on the wrist since they are old men, and some easy, free living in prison.

It's cliche, but you'll laugh and you'll cry(not quite, but it does have it's sad moments). It's no masterpiece, but for what it is, it works pretty well.

Presumed Innocent - 7/10:
Harrison Ford plays a Prosecutor accused of killing a colleague in this 1990 film. That pretty much sums it up, and that probably gives you enough to know how this thing plays out.

It's got some decent characters and it hooks you in to the story, but it's way too long and doesn't hold you throughout the movie, losing you and bringing you back a few times depending on the pace and plot of the movie. It had a lot more potential than it capitalized on. Very middle of the road "Average Good" movie.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
HARRY POTTER (199X to 2011) - 5/10:

i beleive this series is summed up by 2 phrases:

1) your a wizard, harry
2) snape kills dumbledore

some ocascional thrills, but too many dull insipid boring uninspiring moments

5/10

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Now to wait for my pre-order-order

5944072796_b175c1909d_b.jpg

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Vanishing on 7th Street - 4/10:
What a hunk of shit. Minor spoilers ahead, so if you really plan on watching this, you may want to skip reading this, but I don't think I'll truly spoil much. I fell asleep through the middle of it, but trust me, I didn't miss anything. Darkness starts to fall on the city, and those caught in the dark go missing. That's how the movie starts, and when I woke up near the end, that's what was still going on, and how it ended.

I read some reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and almost every positive review remarked on how the director did well with a piece of shit script. Huh, that's enough to get a positive review these days? This movie still sucked. The story WAS shitty, but so was the acting. It was suspenseful and thrilling for the first 5 minutes but then it turned to shit because the characters are annoying and so is the story. I can't even imagine what went on during the time I slept, probably, and I'd bet on it, nothing. My girlfriend stayed up throughout and said it was the worst movie she's ever seen. Maybe an exaggeration, but close enough.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
yeah, 10 more days for the stuff I ordered with high and low :/ plenty to keep me busy until then though

the criterion cover art is beautiful though. I'm used to seeing it on netflix, and a few days ago I saw some of the covers on another site, non-criterion versions, and I was blown away by the difference.

Last edited:

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
IP Man - 9/10

Not a whole lot to complain about here really. I thought it was well acted, nicely filmed with some nice music, and overall a pretty interesting story. It is probably the first Chinese film that I've watched and truly enjoyed. It is a martial arts film, and while there is some pretty good action in it that is not the whole focus of the film. As in action plays a supporting role, it's still important mind you, but not constant which the 2nd film decided to do. The story is supposedly a true one. The setting finds you in the time period of 1920's to 1940's era, so quite a lot to show, and in Chinese so subtitles will have to be read for most. Overall an excellent film and I think a fair number here will enjoy it. However I don't think the netflix plot summary did a good job of explaining it.

If you liked the first one you might enjoy the 2nd one as well. It starts up immediately after the first, however it's pretty much all action driven, which while good it seems to lose some of the focus the first one had. I'd probably say 7/10 for IP man 2.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
IP Man - 9/10

Not a whole lot to complain about here really. I thought it was well acted, nicely filmed with some nice music, and overall a pretty interesting story. It is probably the first Chinese film that I've watched and truly enjoyed. It is a martial arts film, and while there is some pretty good action in it that is not the whole focus of the film. As in action plays a supporting role, it's still important mind you, but not constant which the 2nd film decided to do. The story is supposedly a true one. The setting finds you in the time period of 1920's to 1940's era, so quite a lot to show, and in Chinese so subtitles will have to be read for most. Overall an excellent film and I think a fair number here will enjoy it. However I don't think the netflix plot summary did a good job of explaining it.

If you liked the first one you might enjoy the 2nd one as well. It starts up immediately after the first, however it's pretty much all action driven, which while good it seems to lose some of the focus the first one had. I'd probably say 7/10 for IP man 2.

best action movie of all time imho

Status
Not open for further replies.