List of people I was surprised to learn were extreme conservatives.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm bored, so I feel like making a list.

Victoria Jackson
- short blonde SNL actor, never did much after that. She is currently starring in a movie called "Liberalism is a Dirty Disease"

Mel Gibson
- We all know what he's like today, but for the 80's and most of the 90's nobody knew his politics

Scott Baio
- Again, we know now, but for years he never hinted at any political leanings, much less ultra-conservative nonsense. Same as.....

Kirk Cameron
- I never followed celeb gossip as a child, also I didn't like Growing Pains, but apparently he became a born again christian was back then and was harassing the cast and crew all day for years on end. I think he got a cast member kicked off for having a baby out of wedlock, or some bullshit.

Adam Baldwin
- The non-Baldwin brother. He switched to extreme conservative views after reading one book, and allegedly harassed women during the gamergate debacle, to the point where he was banned from sci-fi conventions (you may recall him as the tall man on Firefly)

Kirstie Alley
- Also famous for not speaking her views until very recently. If her Twitter is any indication, she's a conspiracy nut as well.

The main reason these people surprised me is until I saw something about them (mostly during the Trump years) on the news I had no idea they kept extreme conservative beliefs. I actually miss the days before social media, when unpleasant information about celebs wasnt being forced on me every time I checked out the internet.

Others are sad but not surprising, like Micheal Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer, James Caan, Adam Carolla, Jon Cryer, Bo Derek, Clint Eastwood, Lou Ferrigno, Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Hopper, Patricia Heaton, and Heather Locklear.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Wait... Easy Rider Dennis Hopper is conservative??? I wonder if that came very late in life.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Kelsey Grammer? The guy who's 4th wife was a stripper who I believe also fired a gun at him?

He believes in strong conservative values?

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's quite common for good looking people to take the attitude that live is as easy for them as it is for not so attractive people. All their lives their looks or their inherited social high standing rank opens the doors for them. They never had a chance to develop empathy or understanding that most people don't have it so easy. Without the the compassion for others that comes from being kicked in the face personally, such people can grow up being somewhat unemphatic pricks. And naturally, their egos won't want to admit it's their good looks and nothing else about them that is special. People singled out as 'having it' can more easily assume they do. It's easier to walk the walk if you seldom get knocked down. The power of positive thinking is real. the real winner however is he who walks the walk of the God within. Good looks won't help with that if those looks manifest as ego.

We all know the disgusting arrogance of those who feel entitled.

Reactions: dank69 and Pohemi

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dennis Hopper? Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Jon Voight for some reason?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Antonio Sabato Jr been blackballed from entertainment world has now works a construction job.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's quite common for good looking people to take the attitude that live is as easy for them as it is for not so attractive people. All their lives their looks or their inherited social high standing rank opens the doors for them. They never had a chance to develop empathy or understanding that most people don't have it so easy. Without the the compassion for others that comes from being kicked in the face personally, such people can grow up being somewhat unemphatic pricks. And naturally, their egos won't want to admit it's their good looks and nothing else about them that is special. People singled out as 'having it' can more easily assume they do. It's easier to walk the walk if you seldom get knocked down. The power of positive thinking is real. the real winner however is he who walks the walk of the God within. Good looks won't help with that if those looks manifest as ego.

We all know the disgusting arrogance of those who feel entitled.

If that theory holds, why are a majority of Hollywood celebrities liberal?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I'm bored, so I feel like making a list.

Victoria Jackson
- short blonde SNL actor, never did much after that. She is currently starring in a movie called "Liberalism is a Dirty Disease"

Mel Gibson
- We all know what he's like today, but for the 80's and most of the 90's nobody knew his politics

Scott Baio
- Again, we know now, but for years he never hinted at any political leanings, much less ultra-conservative nonsense. Same as.....

Kirk Cameron
- I never followed celeb gossip as a child, also I didn't like Growing Pains, but apparently he became a born again christian was back then and was harassing the cast and crew all day for years on end. I think he got a cast member kicked off for having a baby out of wedlock, or some bullshit.

Adam Baldwin
- The non-Baldwin brother. He switched to extreme conservative views after reading one book, and allegedly harassed women during the gamergate debacle, to the point where he was banned from sci-fi conventions (you may recall him as the tall man on Firefly)

Kirstie Alley
- Also famous for not speaking her views until very recently. If her Twitter is any indication, she's a conspiracy nut as well.

The main reason these people surprised me is until I saw something about them (mostly during the Trump years) on the news I had no idea they kept extreme conservative beliefs. I actually miss the days before social media, when unpleasant information about celebs wasnt being forced on me every time I checked out the internet.

Others are sad but not surprising, like Micheal Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer, James Caan, Adam Carolla, Jon Cryer, Bo Derek, Clint Eastwood, Lou Ferrigno, Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Hopper, Patricia Heaton, and Heather Locklear.

I don't think Cryer qualifies. All I can find is he endorsed McCain in 2008, later refused to make any endorsements, claiming to be apolitical, but recently has expressed disapproval of Trump.

Otherwise these check out. I either already knew or in a few cases, looked them up.

You forgot John Voight and James Woods.

Reactions: dank69

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Dennis Hopper? Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Jon Voight for some reason?
Jon Voight is a well known and non-surprising conservative.
Apparently late in life Hopper became one. And yes, its shocking when you consider he started as a serious counter culture warrior in the 60's.

Reactions: Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Jon Voight is a well known and non-surprising conservative.
Apparently late in life Hopper became one. And yes, its shocking when you consider he started as a serious counter culture warrior in the 60's.

I found most of those on your list not surprising. I either knew or would have guessed.

Micheal Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer were well known in the 90's as conservatives who made big macho action films which tended to appeal to conservative men.

Kirk Cameron and Mel Gibson are universally known.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Victoria Jackson, ex-SNL, is an especially bad egg. She is extremely homophobic as well. I do not necessarily link conservatism to homophobia, but in the case of Victoria Jackson the two are definitely linked. PS. None of the names above surprised me. I knew Mel Gibson, Kirk Cameron, Adam Baldwin, and Kirstie Alley were conservative nut jobs. My Trumpie sister is a big fan of Kirstie Alley AND of conspiracy theories, so I've heard all I want to hear about Kirstie Alley.

The biggest mistake people can make is with "assuming" certain types people are somehow above it all. We assume that our sports figures are of high moral, and so our politicians, and our celebrities of film TV and music. And what is really crazy is to assume religious celebrity figures like Jim Baker, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are moral people. Frankly, I have never assumed that Billy Graham is anything people believe him to be. I bet if you looked you'd find a shit-load of skeletons in Billy's closet as well. Did you know that Tom Hanks murdered his own baby brother while his brother slept? Hit him in the head with a hammer? NO.... that didn't happen, but it could have because "WE ASSUME" that it could never happen. See how we are when it come to stardom and fame and celebrity? WE ASSUME. One should never assume.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Victoria Jackson, ex-SNL, is an especially bad egg. She is extremely homophobic as well. I do not necessarily link conservatism to homophobia, but in the case of Victoria Jackson the two are definitely linked. PS. None of the names above surprised me. I knew Mel Gibson, Kirk Cameron, Adam Baldwin, and Kirstie Alley were conservative nut jobs. My Trumpie sister is a big fan of Kirstie Alley AND of conspiracy theories, so I've heard all I want to hear about Kirstie Alley.

The biggest mistake people can make is with "assuming" certain types people are somehow above it all. We assume that our sports figures are of high moral, and so our politicians, and our celebrities of film TV and music. And what is really crazy is to assume religious celebrity figures like Jim Baker, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are moral people. Frankly, I have never assumed that Billy Graham is anything people believe him to be. I bet if you looked you'd find a shit-load of skeletons in Billy's closet as well. Did you know that Tom Hanks murdered his own baby brother while his brother slept? Hit him in the head with a hammer? NO.... that didn't happen, but it could have because "WE ASSUME" that it could never happen. See how we are when it come to stardom and fame and celebrity? WE ASSUME. One should never assume.

So you're saying Richard Gere never owned a hamster?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Pohemi and KMFJD
Nov 8, 2012
Why do you feel the need to list out people who's ideas don't 100% align with you?

It's like you feel the need to make a hit list or a 5th-grader journal of "People I don't like" list.

Contrary to the beliefs of complete morons - politics isn't a left or right thing. It's a spectrum.

Also I tend to go with the general notion that we all want the same ultimate goal (regardless of political party) - it's just that the political parties differ on the best way to get to the goal.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
you forgot Dennis Miller, on SNL at same time as Victoria
Dennis Miller has been spouting rhetoric heavily spiced with selfish asshole-conservatism since at least the 1990s. He's probably been a huge dick his entire life I'd say.

Kelsey Grammer? The guy who's 4th wife was a stripper who I believe also fired a gun at him?
Whuttttt. lol That's just too bizarre for a guy who played a safe, uncontroversial psychiatrist for years on end. Of all the names mentioned in this thread (a few of which I'm unfamiliar with admittedly), this is the one that surprises me the most. Guess one shouldn't assume anything about actors! :p

Sad about Adam Baldwin. I liked him a lot in The X-Files. Literally have not seen anything he's done since I think, but now that I look through IMDB to check what he's been up to, I see that in 2011 he played the part of "Hotel Dick"...

Not sure what that is, but it gets the imagination going! lol

Why do you feel the need to list out people who's ideas don't 100% align with you?
Oh god what a whingey snowflake trollpost.

Reactions: dank69

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Dennis Miller has been spouting rhetoric heavily spiced with selfish asshole-conservatism since at least the 1990s. He's probably been a huge dick his entire life I'd say.

Whuttttt. lol That's just too bizarre for a guy who played a safe, uncontroversial psychiatrist for years on end. Of all the names mentioned in this thread (a few of which I'm unfamiliar with admittedly), this is the one that surprises me the most. Guess one shouldn't assume anything about actors! :p

Sad about Adam Baldwin. I liked him a lot in The X-Files. Literally have not seen anything he's done since I think, but now that I look through IMDB to check what he's been up to, I see that in 2011 he played the part of "Hotel Dick"...

Not sure what that is, but it gets the imagination going! lol

Oh god what a whingey snowflake trollpost.

A "hotel dick" is an old term for hotel cop/policeman/detective/whatever term you choose for law enforcement today. The term "dick" was used to make the difference known between a cop on the city payroll (public servant) and a "law enforcement" type on a private payroll....kinda like private security, etc.

Reactions: FaaR