List of 138 JC Penney stores to be shut down...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
My local J.C. Penney will survive. It's in the mall which isn't lacking much in tenants - they just added White Barn, H&M, and Dick's.
It's hard to come up with a reason to go there though, considering I have Kohl's and Dillard's on hand.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
My local J.C. Penney will survive. It's in the mall which isn't lacking much in tenants - they just added White Barn, H&M, and Dick's.
It's hard to come up with a reason to go there though, considering I have Kohl's and Dillard's on hand.
There are plenty of examples of b&m stores doing well. The thing that's so disturbing are the catalog stores that were positioned to do well with the addition of the internet being totally mismanaged from the top down. These aren't cases of frontline employees not caring or, middle management phoning it in, the failure of Wards, Sears, JC Penneys and others rests entirely on their CEO and board of directors.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Looks like they are closing ones that are in smallish cities.

The other stores closed random locations.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I don't like the type of shops like JC Penny. You have to hunt down anything. I hate shopping as it is, I just like going in and getting out.

Jun 18, 2000
When was the last time JC Penny built a new store? They were in too many old malls in declining and small towns. Malls in good areas and those stupid phony-urban lifestyle centers are generally doing fine. The problem is I can't think of any that has a JCP.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Apparently these closures represent 14% of J.C.P's stores, which contributed < 5% to J.C.P's total sales (sez my local newspaper).

When was the last time JC Penny built a new store? They were in too many old malls in declining and small towns. Malls in good areas and those stupid phony-urban lifestyle centers are generally doing fine. The problem is I can't think of any that has a JCP.
My local J.C.P was built in 1978, when the mall was constructed.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Closures won't be limited to what they've announced. Healthy malls that want them out or ones that want to redevelop will pay for them to leave.

The full decline of Sears, Macy's, and JCP is all but assured. It's simply a matter of time and cash burn. The only legacy department story I see surviving long term is Nordstrom who has targeted the upper end and not overbuilt plus gone in heavily in their very profitable/popular Nordstrom Rack stores.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
My JCP is one of the most profitable in the chain in DFW, which is good considering I have an unused gift card I keep forgetting to spend.

I love Pennys!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I happen to go in 2 of the stores on the list (different states), and I can't say I am shocked.
It was a real dump inside, really dirty, things falling apart, floors looked like they were never cleaned for years, ceilings were full of brown water spots as well.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Expect to see this trend grow in the upcoming years. Online retail is putting many mortar and brick stores out of business.

I can't wait until VR becomes mainstream. Going to the mall will all be done via VR in your home. It's going to feel so real that your brain will be tricked into thinking you're at the mall. You'll be able to buy clothes, attend the matinee, go to the food court, talk to people, via VR.

It's going to be amazing.

And when you go to try on the new clothes to see how they fit the NSA will tap into your webcam and have a good laugh at you in your skivvies since none of the clothing is actually there with you to try on.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You'd think clothing stores would be one retail sector that is mostly unaffected by online shopping. It's kind of hard to try stuff on through a computer to make sure it fits. :p

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
There are plenty of examples of b&m stores doing well. The thing that's so disturbing are the catalog stores that were positioned to do well with the addition of the internet being totally mismanaged from the top down. These aren't cases of frontline employees not caring or, middle management phoning it in, the failure of Wards, Sears, JC Penneys and others rests entirely on their CEO and board of directors.

That is especially true of Sears. Ed Lambert is a giant douchenozzel

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
You'd think clothing stores would be one retail sector that is mostly unaffected by online shopping. It's kind of hard to try stuff on through a computer to make sure it fits. :p
I never buy clothes or furniture online unless it is from a local store where I can return stuff without paying for shipping. I am sure I can't be the only one. I want to try on stuff before I buy.
I think other B&M clothing stores give them more competition than people realize.
But for electronics and other crap that are not groceries, online retailers are to blame.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Not bad, Dallas and surrounding cities (Plano, Richardson, Irving, etc.) weren't on the list :)
The one in Addison / Farmers Branch closed awhile back though :(

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Not true.

Check out the stores in the Twin Cities...all the major malls still have them.

Just about every big city statewide as well.

I should had made that more clear. All the ones on the list for closure are in small towns.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Why not!

With a VR headset your dreams can all come true. You can even go into Victoria Secrets and sniff the lingerie. Hit on that hot girl you were to scared to do in realife. Maybe even get into a mall fight and have mall security chase you throughout the mall.
What if the Matrix is real but instead of it being forced on mankind, mankind will gleefully go out of his way for it? /thought raptor

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Closures won't be limited to what they've announced. Healthy malls that want them out or ones that want to redevelop will pay for them to leave.

The full decline of Sears, Macy's, and JCP is all but assured. It's simply a matter of time and cash burn. The only legacy department story I see surviving long term is Nordstrom who has targeted the upper end and not overbuilt plus gone in heavily in their very profitable/popular Nordstrom Rack stores.

We had a Barney's in one of the higher end malls in the valley and it was in in 2009 and out by 2016, guess we aren't fancy enough here in AZ....

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We had a Barney's in one of the higher end malls in the valley and it was in in 2009 and out by 2016, guess we aren't fancy enough here in AZ....

I don't think it was the right fit for the market. They don't have a lot of stores because there isn't a lot of call for an even higher end boutique-ish department store outside of the coasts. I sometimes end up at the one here in Chicago due to meeting people at the restaurant on top. At least 50% of the people I observe shopping are clearly well heeled international visitors.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
What is generally considered to be the best mall in the Chicago area is an outdoor center with basically full occupancy. I was there on the coldest day of the year this holiday season and the place was still packed. I'd rather go there and freeze my ass off a bit than suffer another stuffy, sterile, dated indoor mall that does nothing but remind me of my teenage years...complete with the very same shitty food. A lot of GenXers and Millennials seem to feel the same way.
Oakbrook Center?