News Lisa Su of AMD to deliver Computex's first ever official keynote

JTaylor2005

Nov 27, 2018
Brilliant! I wish I could watch it live but that date is basically 3am the middle of Sunday night where I live! -_-

I hope they reveal some proper knock out blows as that'll definitely level the playing field among the CPU and GPU worlds if they do.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
.....as that'll definitely level the playing field among the CPU and GPU worlds if they do.

They really already leveled the playing field with their 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs.

It's the state of their GPU side that needs a little more help love and attention. :)

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Brilliant! I wish I could watch it live but that date is basically 3am the middle of Sunday night where I live! -_-

I hope they reveal some proper knock out blows as that'll definitely level the playing field among the CPU and GPU worlds if they do.

On the positive side it does mean that when you wake up there, should be plenty of fleshed out articles covering the highlights of the presentation. Plenty of good stuff to read over breakfast.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Ryzen 3000 and Navi news would make my day... but I'll settle for either or.

JTaylor2005

Nov 27, 2018
On the positive side it does mean that when you wake up there, should be plenty of fleshed out articles covering the highlights of the presentation. Plenty of good stuff to read over breakfast.

That's very true! Looking forward to the read :)

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Ryzen 3000 and Navi news would make my day... but I'll settle for either or.

I'd be really surprised if they don't have some kind of Navi news by the end of May. It might not release for several more months, but they should be able to show it off and give a general time frame for launch unless things have gone horribly wrong. There was a new video out from AdoredTV the other day where he indicated that one of his sources that had been reliable in the past indicated that Ryzen 3000 might be delayed by a few months so we might not see either product until towards the end of the year.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
I'd be really surprised if they don't have some kind of Navi news by the end of May. It might not release for several more months, but they should be able to show it off and give a general time frame for launch unless things have gone horribly wrong. There was a new video out from AdoredTV the other day where he indicated that one of his sources that had been reliable in the past indicated that Ryzen 3000 might be delayed by a few months so we might not see either product until towards the end of the year.
he indicated that the cpus are ready but the motherboards are having issues, hence the delay.

he touches back on the GN bit about amd possibly making the boards/chipset themselves. i'm beginning to wonder if the 12/16core power requirements took the board partners outside their comfort zone or if this is all about validation for all the potential combinations of low/mid/high end boards and supporting 2 chiplets. mb makers wouldnt be so greedy/stupid as to try and make the low end boards support the dual chiplets would they?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
he indicated that the cpus are ready but the motherboards are having issues, hence the delay.

he touches back on the GN bit about amd possibly making the boards/chipset themselves. i'm beginning to wonder if the 12/16core power requirements took the board partners outside their comfort zone or if this is all about validation for all the potential combinations of low/mid/high end boards and supporting 2 chiplets. mb makers wouldnt be so greedy/stupid as to try and make the low end boards support the dual chiplets would they?
Board makers would do that in a heartbeat. Cheap motherboards that support 12/16 core ? An advertisers dream. Does AMD like that ? Probably not.

It won't be long now before we find out.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I bet my X370 Taichi will run them just fine with a bios update.

Reactions: Drazick

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I read the newest bios *may* have the needed update.
No link read it last week

Personally I’m excited for the X570 I’m hoping for better memory support. Nothing against Samsung B die other than the 30-50% price premium
I may end up getting an X570, just becuse its better, but then I have to sell my X370+1800x

Feb 4, 2009
I may end up getting an X570, just becuse its better, but then I have to sell my X370+1800x

I really need a new machine now, I’m hoping I can make it another 3 months.
Good chance I’ll do something similar, like build a 2600 with a B450 then eBay it next year.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I really need a new machine now, I’m hoping I can make it another 3 months.
Good chance I’ll do something similar, like build a 2600 with a B450 then eBay it next year.
PM me, maybe we can make a deal on my 1800x now.

Mar 11, 2004

Yeah. Depending on when Ryzen 3000 was set for release it might not be that far off (1000 and 2000 series were what March and April?). It might actually prove to be somewhat fortuitous if they can launch Ryzen 3000 series and Navi at the same time. I know AMD wants to space things out so as to give each product its own space but keep AMD brand in people's minds, but I think being able to pair them up at the same time on a new build will actually benefit them (especially if they're smart and do something for bundles).

Wonder what the issue is, if its all 3000 series, or if its related to the more than 8 core ones. If its the latter, they should just say that up to 8 core chips will be compatible with previous chips but that for now the 12 and 16 core ones need the 500 series boards. Unless its the new boards that's the issue (wasn't there some rumor that they'd launch after the 3000 series CPUs? Or maybe it was the lower versions of the 500 series?).

I'm not sure it'd be greed so much as AMD has promised compatibility and not sure if you've noticed but there's still some people that make a fuss about how AMD had to send out those low end CPUs so people could flash boards to be Zen compatible. If people with earlier boards (even cheap ones) couldn't upgrade to 16 core ones, there might even be class action lawsuits as people would say they bought in because they thought it would be compatible going forward.

Board makers would do that in a heartbeat. Cheap motherboards that support 12/16 core ? An advertisers dream. Does AMD like that ? Probably not.

It won't be long now before we find out.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? I'd think AMD wouldn't care about mobo prices unless they were prohibitively expensive (or possibly so cheap it leads to issues), so in fact, they'd probably love if the boards let them keep prices of the CPUs high while lowering the overall system cost of such chips, making them seem even better value. They wouldn't bother trying to make them compatible with previous boards if they wanted people to be ponying up for boards too.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

UEFI updates for the X370 Taichi have been awful since ASRock started messing around with Pinnacle Ridge AGESA versions. I keep losing RAM overclockability on my 1800x. It's only going to get worse. There's no way I'm gonna put Zen2 in mine.

Despite how much I hate what ASRock is doing to my X370, I have a feeling that I'm going to wind up with an X570 Taichi Ultimate (or whatever). X370 Taichi was great during its launch window; too bad I couldn't stay on old UEFI versions (3.30 and earlier) thanks to Spectre.

Reactions: maddogmcgee

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I would love to hear 3000 series being released on May 28th or even that week....

May happen very shortly after. I have noticed inventory of Ryzen chips at microcenter are way down and newegg has had quite a few deals on the 1000 and 2000 series chips of late. Seems vendors are getting ready for the next gen.

Feb 4, 2009
May happen very shortly after. I have noticed inventory of Ryzen chips at microcenter are way down and newegg has had quite a few deals on the 1000 and 2000 series chips of late. Seems vendors are getting ready for the next gen.

Strange I was looking at micro center and thinking something similar. 3 X470 boards are no longer stocked (at the moment) and the page appears to be pushing 2700 & 1700 sales.

Reactions: Jimzz
Jul 24, 2017

Yeah I'm a little concerned about my Asus X370 Prime. If I can't run the 16-cores properly I won't be too upset but I would at least like to be able to drop in a 12-core, that would be my ideal setup.

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah I'm a little concerned about my Asus X370 Prime. If I can't run the 16-cores properly I won't be too upset but I would at least like to be able to drop in a 12-core, that would be my ideal setup.

Just read the lower end chips will likely be first release. Theory is 12 core will be the top model at first 16 core toward fall.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

I hope mine will be able to run the 6-8 core variant of Zen 2.

After the upgrade assuming it works, I have to ask myself a question.. do I pass this 1600 down to my family or just sell it.