Lion versus Bear - Who would win?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DiZASTiX

Jun 8, 2003
Probably lion...do you ever see a bear hunt down a deer...no you just see them smack fish. :p

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: DiZASTiX
Probably lion...do you ever see a bear hunt down a deer...no you just see them smack fish. :p

this is talking about a fight...not a relay race

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
Link to article

'World's largest bear' shot in Alaska
11/10/2002 - 8:47:43 am

A US airman is believed to have killed the world's largest bear.

Ted Heuvelmans says he shot the 1,800lb Alaskan Brown bear from 35 yards away, in self defence.

The bear, which was 14ft tall :Q, tried to attack him during a hunting trip on Hitchenbrook Island, near the Elmendorf Air Force Base in the Gulf of Alaska, south of Valdez.

It's twice the size of a normal brown bear, which is the largest of the bears, and experts say it could be the world's biggest.
Alaska has the highest concentration of brown bears in the world.

William Golding, Professor of National History at Toronto University, told the Yukon Courier that the bear's size suggests that it suffered from a growth disorder, such as acromegaly.

Mr Heuvelmans, an airman at Elemdorf airport, said: "She kind of snuck up on me. I was really taken by surprise. She stood up on her hind legs and prepared to charge.

"I was pretty scared, let me tell you! I emptied the chamber into her chest. It took four shots to bring her down. She was huge! If I hadn't gotten her first, I definitely would've been a gonner!"

The Yukon Courier says representatives from The Smithsonian Institution and the Guinness Book of Records will be visiting Alaska next week to verify the record capture.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Shiva112
Originally posted by: DiZASTiX

this is talking about a fight...not a relay race

muahahahha ..

i go with Bear. if PETA wasn't so active, i'd try some sort of PPV.

biffbacon

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Alienwho
Originally posted by: slikmunks
Originally posted by: LordUnum
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Where's that thread with the mutant Lion/Tiger mix?
That thing would own a bear.
NOT. Probably too slow and fat. Grizzly would be quick, still larger than a huge Liger or Tigon, and take an unbelievable amount of punishment.

Result: Against an angry Grizzly, a Liger, Tigon <insert any animal or human with 9mm here> = 0wn3d

so if i had a 9mm and were a good shot, and i shot it a bunch of times in the head, i'd still get 0wn3d... riiiiiiiiiight.....
I read if a bear is charging you, a 9mm is pretty much worthless. you can shoot him straight in the face but his bone is so thick and angled that the bullets would just ricochet straight off. You would have to hit him directly in the eye or inside his mouth to do anything. The best place to shoot a bear is it's back in hopes of ripping up his insides.

when the bear charged, i would put away my 9mm, and reach in my bag for a more suitable item. say the bazooka or grenade launcher

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I got a better fight:

The Lion King vs Grizzley Adams.

I take Grizzley, cause he was a cool ole' coot.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
what bout a bear versus a huge croc?
second thought, nah, if that steve irwin dude can kick their ass, then a croc must be pretty weak.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
The bear. It's sheer bulk would prove too much for any lion. Even a siberian tiger wouldn't mess with a grizzly/polar/kodiac.

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser
How about Winnie the Pooh vs Simba?

pooh might mistake simba's bright yellow colors for honey, and eat him .... so the bear wins again. :confused:

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Would anyone else enjoy watching Steve Irwin get ripped apart by a grizzly bear?

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Imdmn04
what bout a bear versus a huge croc?
second thought, nah, if that steve irwin dude can kick their ass, then a croc must be pretty weak.
A large croc would match any bear. Crocodiles have serious armour and would definately inflict some damage in just a single bite. The bear would flee IMO. There's a huge difference between being able to sit on their backs and actually "beat them in a fight." Lol. Plus, humans have what is proven to be the most formidable weapon of them all: sentience.

Back to the croc vs bear. You have to remember that, as powerful as they are, bears are only mammals. Meaning that although they have thick fur, it's nothing compared to a croc's plating.

I wonder if a bear's coat is comparable to a hippo/rhino/elephant's skin? I've heard than a hippo's hide can deflect a .22 rifle bullet, nevermind the Rhino... :Q

SeaSerpent

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2001
Would anyone else enjoy watching Steve Irwin get ripped apart by a grizzly bear?

It would be funny to see the Australian running around screaming like a little girl....I can picture that.

Dingleberries

Banned
Jan 12, 2002
After a long battle, the lion would take out a joint and share it with the bear. They would then become friends because we all know that is impossible to start a fight while high. The end.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: slikmunks
Originally posted by: LordUnum
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Where's that thread with the mutant Lion/Tiger mix?
That thing would own a bear.
NOT. Probably too slow and fat. Grizzly would be quick, still larger than a huge Liger or Tigon, and take an unbelievable amount of punishment.

Result: Against an angry Grizzly, a Liger, Tigon <insert any animal or human with 9mm here> = 0wn3d

so if i had a 9mm and were a good shot, and i shot it a bunch of times in the head, i'd still get 0wn3d... riiiiiiiiiight.....
I doubt you would be able to hit any vital parts in its head.

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Dingleberries
After a long battle, the lion would take out a joint and share it with the bear. They would then become friends because we all know that is impossible to start a fight while high. The end.

Then they went halvies on an antelope. The end.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Tiger predation on bears:
Tigers generally avoid bears much over 800 lb, but will quite readily predate on sub-600 lb females. This is impressive predation and during fights with the brown bear the tiger gives quite a good account of itself.

Occasional confrontations with similar weight animals over a kill usually fizzle out after a bit of noise and threatening display.

Huge grizzly bears:
However, the 1000 lb plus bear is king here and of a much more ferocious disposition. Two large male tigers were found killed by such animals in the year 2000, which is tragic, if natures way.

Tigers will usually avoid such a powerful foe, but eventually these huge animals will run into each other. Often the bear is trying to steal the tiger's kill. The tiger gives a better account of itself in a bear fight than the lion. The bear does not go in for strangulation or nape biting, but uses his paws to rain blows to the head and shoulders. Possibly this removes any advantage of a mane.

With no experience of bear fighting, a lion would probably be found wanting against such a foe, yet it appears to have great advantage against creatures which go in for blood letting at the throat (such as the tiger).

Cool huh?