Lion versus Bear - Who would win?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Grizzly bear wins:

Grizzly bears - the ultimate carnivore:

Almost all queries received on this topic request answers to the lion versus tiger question. Oddly, few people simply ask which is considered the Ultimate Carnivore.

This honour is held by an animal the tiger does not often have encounter; it is the grizzly bear.

The grizzly bear is a poor predator, taking down a caribou only when the opportunity arises. This, however, shifted his evolution in favour of the job in hand, namely as a digger of hard barren ground for roots, tubers and den building. The grizzly bear subsequently evolved enormous bone and muscle density; roughly ten times our own for a given size. They have developed into huge and enormously powerful animals.

Big cat biology is very different. They have evolved powerful elastic muscles over a low weight, low density bone structure to suit their purpose of chasing down prey.

Grizzly bear pit fights:

The Californians of the late 19th century staged well-documented pit fights with grizzlies and spanish bulls. The grizzlies, using their paw as a club, shattered the unfortunate bull's skull or shoulder bones so easily that the betting became poor.

Eventually, and at considerable cost, African lions were brought in to raise the stakes. The most fierce of the adult males was sent in whilst the grizzly was already waiting in the pits. The lion was known for bravely charging straight in and looked good for the money, but the grizzly killed a male lion almost as easily as he'd killed the bull.

The Californians never understood why. We now know that it was enormously strong bone density meeting a low density skull. At a range of 4 feet the blow crashed in before the lion could apply the wind pipe lock, which is lion and tiger learnt behaviour for taking down prey animals.

The ferocity of this animal easily matches that of an unsettled African lion.

The polar bear:

There is obviously no way tigers and polar bears can conflict, however comments regarding the grizzly usually lead to inevitable questions about the power of the polar bear.

The polar bear is a larger, but less robust creature than other bears.

Compared to the grizzly, it has a thinner, longer and more delicate skull, along with narrower forequarters. This streamlining is an adaptation for an aquatic life style.

The grizzly has a shorter, thicker neck, heavily built skull and more powerful shoulder structure. Despite being a good foot shorter, the grizzly has a trump card.

Their claws, having evolved as digging tools, are also unmatched at opening body carcasses. Claws of 6" aren't uncommon (9" record) while the polar bear has small hook-like 2" claws.

Sometimes, when the ice melts, polar bears have been known to be driven off by grizzlies, when they move south into the grizzlies feeding area. A grizzly will defend his barren ground patches jealously as he races to pile on enough fat for the end of summer denning

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: LordUnum
Originally posted by: Bootprint
It all depends on if it's Thurdays or Tuesday.
Let's say Tuesday...

Well, on Tuesday it would be the Lion. The problem is on the weekend with all the hikers out and about, he has to hide from them. So on Monday he would still be tried from the weekend, but anything after Tuesday, Watch out. :)

You also have to add in the problem if the bear eats someone, they might have been drinking and so Monday the bear would a hangover... Never go driving with a bear, they can't hold their alcohol.

biffbacon

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2003
i saw an episode of the croc hunter where he was asked this same question, and he said it would be the bear due to its massive strength and razor sharp claws.

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
The Californians of the late 19th century staged well-documented pit fights with grizzlies and spanish bulls. The grizzlies, using their paw as a club, shattered the unfortunate bull's skull or shoulder bones so easily that the betting became poor.

Eventually, and at considerable cost, African lions were brought in to raise the stakes. The most fierce of the adult males was sent in whilst the grizzly was already waiting in the pits. The lion was known for bravely charging straight in and looked good for the money, but the grizzly killed a male lion almost as easily as he'd killed the bull.

The Californians never understood why. We now know that it was enormously strong bone density meeting a low density skull. At a range of 4 feet the blow crashed in before the lion could apply the wind pipe lock, which is lion and tiger learnt behaviour for taking down prey animals.

The ferocity of this animal easily matches that of an unsettled African lion

I just picture a grizzly sitting in the pit, minding its own business...

[bear]La lala, Doopity dooo...hmmhrmm hrmmmmmm....Cool, a LION!!

SMACK!!

La lala, Doopity dooo...hmmhrmm hrmmmmmm[/bear]

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
depends on whether they are armed with automatic weapons or not

biffbacon

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Mani

ok, say the bear and the lion are unarmed, but you throw a chimp with an AK47 in the mix. what happens then?

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: biffbacon

ok, say the bear and the lion are unarmed, but you throw a chimp with an AK47 in the mix. what happens then?

Could you just imagine the bullets flying because of the recoil? I don't know if a chimp could hold it properly.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: DieHardware
The Lions, Bengals, and Bears have had their a$$es handed to them by the RAMs for years! ;) :D

That Bengal would be eaten by those lions and bears. I mean, how would a little donut shaped peice of dough even fight.

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: biffbacon

The bear kills the lion, the chimp kills the bear and then shoots itself in the balls.

Zrom999

Banned
Apr 13, 2003
A large grizzly bear can toss a large lion around like a ragdoll.
A lion would have no chance against a polar bear, unlike other bears those are pure killers.
A black bear however might not do so well against a lion.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The bear..

Bears are more powerful than a lion.. bigger too. As long as we're talking about something like a grizzly..

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
I would win, cause i'd shoot them both with a barret light fifty.

And... what if you came face to face with the grizzly before you had a chance to shoot...

I was face to face with a 450lb black bear a couple years ago.... I had a shotgun with me... I was a little worried, cause the shotgun woulda just pissed him off.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: brigden
Just curious? Obviously there are different types of lions and bears, but if you took the baddest lion and the baddest bear, who would win. I reckon the Lion would.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: slikmunks
Originally posted by: LordUnum
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Where's that thread with the mutant Lion/Tiger mix?
That thing would own a bear.
NOT. Probably too slow and fat. Grizzly would be quick, still larger than a huge Liger or Tigon, and take an unbelievable amount of punishment.

Result: Against an angry Grizzly, a Liger, Tigon <insert any animal or human with 9mm here> = 0wn3d

so if i had a 9mm and were a good shot, and i shot it a bunch of times in the head, i'd still get 0wn3d... riiiiiiiiiight.....
I read if a bear is charging you, a 9mm is pretty much worthless. you can shoot him straight in the face but his bone is so thick and angled that the bullets would just ricochet straight off. You would have to hit him directly in the eye or inside his mouth to do anything. The best place to shoot a bear is it's back in hopes of ripping up his insides.