I have a server buit and looking for the best version of Linux to put on it:

Athlon XP 1.4Ghz
1GB RAM
18GB SCSI OS Drive
3Ware 9500S RAID Card
1.5TB RAID 5 Array
Intel Gigabit Ethernet
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card

I have been running Fedora 8 on it, but I can tell the system is struggling to run that (I use Gnome, not a Linux expert, know just enough to screw things up, but know why). I am looking for other options to put on it. Only Requirements:

Must run as a file server to Windows Machines (Samba)
Would like capability for DB Server and Wed Server in the future
Must support RAID Card.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

little elvis

Sep 8, 2005
If you don't absolutely need it, don't install Gnome or any other graphic interface. That will greatly improve the speed of the system.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Twinpeaksr
I have a server buit and looking for the best version of Linux to put on it:

Athlon XP 1.4Ghz
1GB RAM
18GB SCSI OS Drive
3Ware 9500S RAID Card
1.5TB RAID 5 Array
Intel Gigabit Ethernet
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card

I have been running Fedora 8 on it, but I can tell the system is struggling to run that (I use Gnome, not a Linux expert, know just enough to screw things up, but know why). I am looking for other options to put on it. Only Requirements:

Must run as a file server to Windows Machines (Samba)
Would like capability for DB Server and Wed Server in the future
Must support RAID Card.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

While many distros have their advantages, my philosophy is that if you have to ask then the answer is Ubuntu.

If it's struggling, you will be best to install the Ubuntu Server variant and do not install a gui. Read the server guide at help.ubuntu.com, it's really easy to follow. Once it's set up, then you don't have to touch the console anyway and you can keep those resources free. Personally, my home file server goes for months without being logged in to the console.

The Keeper

Mar 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Brazen
While many distros have their advantages, my philosophy is that if you have to ask then the answer is Ubuntu.

Quoted for truth. It goes for all; servers, desktops, notebooks and htpc's. At least until another distro dethrones Ubuntu. ;) But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Twinpeaksr

Aug 9, 2000
Thanks for the input, I will check out Ubuntu. Ate there different versions? IF there are, any recommendations on which one?

thanks!

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Twinpeaksr
Thanks for the input, I will check out Ubuntu. Ate there different versions? IF there are, any recommendations on which one?

thanks!

Ubuntu's website should explain the different versions.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Learn to use a console only system. It will help you in the long run. Ubuntu server ftw.