linux on old laptop?

kohutek

Nov 29, 2000
Hey everyone,
I am thinking of getting a cheap-o laptop to use for on-site duties for work; mostly console / terminals on routers and such.

I plan on getting a 486-66 or if I'm lucky, a pentium 66+. I'd prefer the pentium, cuz it's a lot more powerful -- I don't have either yet, so if you have an old, dusty laptop around that works, PM me!

Anywho, I am wondering what a good kernel version to run on this would be? It would have to have support for network & modem pcmcia, as well as have a com port, sound is completely optional. Of course, X is right out, which is okay by me.

Thanks!

randal kohutek

MGMorden

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2000
I'd say 2.4.2. It's fast and supports virtually everything. I've also not had one stability issue with it. Pair this with a minimal slackware install and you've got yourself a mean little terminal.

kohutek

Nov 29, 2000
ya think that 2.4.2 is best for an old laptop? I guess that it would have more support for all the old stuff ...

thanks,
randal

MGMorden

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2000
It's not gonna be slower than an old kernel. The good thing about linux (or at least the kernel itself) is that you only have to compile in things you want/need, so a newer kernel isn't more bloated/slower than an old one. X would probably bring that system to it's knees, but you've already mentioned you don't need it so 2.4.2 should do fine.

BOFH

Dec 31, 1999
I have run linux on 486 laptops before for console use and a old IBM p75 laptop with 40 mb of ram. mostly with the 2.0 and a little of the 2.2 kernel. worked fine