Linux - NIC losing mac address???

progiciel

Aug 23, 2000
This one is for you linux gurus: I have a dual boot (w98/linux mandrake 7.2) machine. The network card is a DLINK DFE 530-TX. I couldn't get it to work until I unplugged it, rebooted, shut down and put it back in. It was then that I realized that by doing an ifconfig -a, the HW address was changed to 00.00.00.00.00.00 every time I booted into Windows. If I use the box only for linux, everything is fine and ifconfig gives me a good hw address (something like 10.53.01.45.88.99), but the minute I boot windows, I have to unplug and plug the card afterwards if I need to use linux. Is it possible for the NIC to lose it's mac address??? I downloaded the latest via-rhine.c driver, but can't get it to compile, apparently there's some kind of bug with gcc or so I've read on the web. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Are you doing a soft reboot to windows, you know shutown -r now then choosing to boot to Windows? What happens on a hard reboot (shutdown -h now? Then restarting and choosing Windows.

progiciel

Aug 23, 2000
Yes, I've tried both shutdown methods, the problem only occurs when I boot up windows and later go back to linux again. If I only boot up linux, no mather the method or the number of times I do it, I have no problem whatsoever.

Thanks.