Linux mint, mint search enhancer?

Discussion in '*nix Software' started by KeypoX, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeypoX

KeypoX Diamond Member

How do i get rid of mint search enhancer? I can disable in addons but it is still there when i search google. Its horrible!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Linux mint mint Forum Date
    Linux mint ethereum mining w/ claymore *nix Software May 17, 2017
    Linux Mint, Poor Performance! *nix Software Mar 23, 2017
    Linux Mint 17.3 xfce high CPU usage *nix Software Apr 28, 2016
    Why does Windows 7 still give a smoother user experience than Linux Mint 17.3? *nix Software Apr 10, 2016
    Linux Mint 17.2 and VNC Server *nix Software Mar 19, 2016

3. mrmepis

mrmepis Junior Member

I would love to rid myself of the ONLY annoyance of this wonderful distro!

4. KeypoX

KeypoX Diamond Member

this was very annoying lol old thread wish i knew a solution but i oculdnt take mint.

5. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt Lifer

6. VinDSL

VinDSL Diamond Member

Heh!

In Firefox, I just delete the "Mint Search Enhancer" using the "Manage Search Engines" feature (along with everything else, except Wikipedia). Then, I install for following add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12625 (Mozilla: Add-ons for Firefox | Google (Language: EN) )

It's an English language-specific Google search - which I prefer to the default Google search that comes with Firefox.

Win! Win! ;)

7. Kadarin

Kadarin Lifer

8. iGas

iGas Diamond Member

I ran the Mint update tonight then low and behold the search enhancer came back. I couldn't delete the enhancer because it was part of Firefox dependencies, but I was able to edit browser.search.searchEnginesURL in about:config to make it work. I also tried the addon Google (Language: EN), and it is working as well. I also manually removed from the extension directory.

What pissed me off was that the update broke Opera 10.x (and forced the user to use their broken search enhancer). Manually update to Opera 11 retained the user enhancer extension as well. I looked in opera:config and couldn't find the enhancer extension, but was able to edit the search path in under preference setting.

IMHO, Mint is a great desktop distro, but if this keeps up might go back to running Debian or Ubuntu as my default desktop.

#7 iGas, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. nunyafnbizness

nunyafnbizness Junior Member

As a matter of fact it's a big pain in the a**! I tried tor remove it and Synaptic Package Manager would also remove mint-meta-core. So they have built this "browser enhancement" add-on into the core? If you reinstalled mint-meta-core after removing mint search enhancer would mint search enhancer be reinstalled as part of mint-meta-core? At risk of being banned off this forum eph-ewe-see-kay the developers of Mint! Linux is supposed to be about being able to have control of your own system!

#8 nunyafnbizness, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. nunyafnbizness

nunyafnbizness Junior Member

So what edit to browser.search.searchEnginesURL did you make? What did you mean make it work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.