Linux Mint KDE 18.2 ==> Neon KDE

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Not a Linux user.

Tried Linux many times with different versions and always give up.

Today I installed Mint KDE 18.2

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=244

This is the only version that gives me a very good impression.

The UI is clean & pretty responsive, I feel it's even faster than xfce, in a VMware machine, on an old PC.

Apache, MySQL, PHP stack up and running.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I had installed kde on my xubuntu machine; just playing around. Got it customized to where I liked it, rebooted, and never saw the desktop again. It would freeze during the splash intro, and I'd have to open a console to kill it. I suspect it was a weather plugin on the panel, and I'm sure it was fixable, but I've always been in gtk, so I'm not familiar with the place qt puts its stuff.

It looked great, and ran decent when it ran, but I prefer xfce. It's just simpler, and does what I want.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I recently purchased a refurbed Sandy Bridge laptop and was kicking around the idea of trying a few Linux distros again. Tried a few different distros/desktop combinations a few years ago but wondered back to Windows. I'm getting stir crazy again though....
I have a spare 128gb ssd which would be perfect for this. Pop out the hdd with Win10 on it and pop in the ssd and try out a few distros. Hmmm might start with the Mint KDE 18.2 you suggested this weekend. Thanks for the heads up man.