Linux Mint 9 Isadora Released

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1403

Site seems to be getting hammered right now, please use the torrents to download.

New features at a glance:

* New Software Manager
o 30,000 packages
o Review applications straight from the Software Manager
o APT daemon
o Visual improvements
* New Backup Tool
o Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks
o Backup/Restoration of the software selection
* Menu improvements
o Editable items
o Transparent menu
o Always start with favorites
o “Add to” shortcuts
* Desktop settings
o Changes apply immediately
o Additional options
* Better look & feel
o Backgrounds
o Welcome screen
o Update Manager
* System improvements
o Windows installer
o Husse quotes
o USB Creator
o Default software selection
o Local repository and Gnome-PPP
o Apt hold/unhold/held commands
* Project changes
o Community Website
o CD & DVD
o Community Editions
o OEM installation disks
o USA/Japan distributors disks
o 32 & 64-bit
* Upstream improvements
o Faster boot
o Long Term Support

For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 9“.

Known problems:

* Moonlight
* Upstream issues

To get more information about these problems and their solution, read the “Known problems” section of the release notes.

Important information:

* Java and OpenOffice.org-base
* OEM disks
* Distributors disks for the USA and Japan
* Tomboy Notes
* Local repository and Gnome-PPP

To get more information, read the “Important information” section of the release notes.

System requirements:

* x86 processor (for both 32 & 64-bit versions)
* x86_64 compatible processor (for the 64-bit version)
* 512 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 3 GB of disk space for installation
* Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
* CD-ROM drive or USB port

Upgrade instructions:

* To upgrade from a previous version of Linux Mint follow these instructions.
* To upgrade from Linux Mint 9 RC, simply apply any level 1 and 2 updates (if any) available in the Update Manager.

Download:

Linux Mint 9 is available for download in 32 and 64-bit via torrent and HTTP as:

* A live CD
* A live DVD (containing the same software as the live CD plus Sun Java 6, VLC, OpenOffice.org-base, F-Spot, Samba, additional wallpapers and ttf-dejavu)
* OEM installation disks (for manufacturers, to pre-install Linux Mint 9 on computers without setting up a user account)
* US/Japan distribution disks (for magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses)

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
Im currently using 8 but would still like to give this a try. I may install it at some point soon.

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Downloaded and will install tonight...time for a refresh of my laptop's OS :)

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
meh, im usually all over mint but for this LTS im sticking with ubuntu 10.04, dont feel like reinstalling.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
meh, im usually all over mint but for this LTS im sticking with ubuntu 10.04, dont feel like reinstalling.
I'll probably upgrade my Toshiba lappy. It's a fairly conventional install, but...

I spent hella time scaling Mint to my EeePC netbook. I "don't feel like reinstalling" either.

LoL!

I might listen to Clem on this one...

If things are working fine and you're happy with your current system, then you don't need to upgrade.

A new version of Linux Mint is released every 6 months. It usually comes with new features and improvements but there's nothing wrong with sticking with the release you already have. In fact, you could skip many releases and stick with the version that works for you.

Each release receives bug fixes and security updates for about 18 months (or 3 years in the case of "Long Term Support" releases such as Linux Mint 5 or Linux Mint 9). The development team is also focused on the latest release. If bug fixes and security updates are important to you, you should regularly upgrade to the latest releases, otherwise there's nothing wrong with keeping things as they are.

As a general rule... unless you need to, or unless you really want to, there's no reason for you to upgrade.

SOURCE: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 (Linux Mint Community - How to upgrade to a newer release)

NinjaCat

Jul 19, 2009
I installed this in my other comp, which is just a P4 3.0 and 512 mb of ram, runs pretty smooth except when viewing flash heavy sites, installed flashblock on firefox and that problem is solved.

Another thing is that the screen doesn't fully display on my monitor, there is a piece of the right side that doesn't show, so I had to have the monitor center the screen enough so that i can at least see the time.

Last edited:

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
I was really hesitant to replace Mint 8 with 9 because 8 was working perfectly and I had it customized and set up just the way I wanted.
Well, I am glad I installed 9 because it seems to run much faster and the LTS is important to me.
I'm going to leave this as my OS for at least a couple years, (hopefully).
If you're on the fence ..... just do it, you won't be sorry.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I was really hesitant to replace Mint 8 with 9 because 8 was working perfectly and I had it customized and set up just the way I wanted.

This is why I think the major distros should go to an annual release schedule, gives them more time to polish and refine as well as let the users get more familiar with the distro.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
This is why I think the major distros should go to an annual release schedule, gives them more time to polish and refine as well as let the users get more familiar with the distro.

It's a lose-lose situation. Some people want short, quick releases in order to get the newest software while some want longer, better supported releases. It's not really possible to do both. Which is why I run sid, it's not officially supported but packaging issues are still dealt with quickly.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Installed a few days ago on my HP lappy (came from Win7). Working like a charm so far. :) Wireless, sound, and video drivers worked out of the box. My wifi led button blinks with traffic instead of being just on/off, but no biggie.

I still need to figure out how to do remote desktop and a few other things though.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's a lose-lose situation. Some people want short, quick releases in order to get the newest software while some want longer, better supported releases. It's not really possible to do both. Which is why I run sid, it's not officially supported but packaging issues are still dealt with quickly.

I'd like to see Ubuntu do something similar. Make all their releases LTS releases, but also have a testing branch with a rolling release. I said I was going to try Debian, and I did for a bit in a VM(I had to bail when I ran out of drive space upgrading to sid), but I keep questioning why. I like Ubuntu A LOT. By the time I finished customizing Debian, it would be Ubuntu for all intents and purposes, so why not start out with it? I really like the idea of a rolling release with sid, but a new fixed product every 6 months isn't so bad. Maybe I'll get the rolling release bug and go for a real Debian install, but as of now, I'm holding tight with Ubuntu.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
My Mint 8 install has been working great, so I haven't upgraded to 9 yet. At some point I will though :)

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
just put mint 9 in my vbox. love it, in my opinion better than ubuntu 10.04.