Linux login stuck in loop

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
First, despite using one the last few years, I barely know anything about Linux OS but they require it for our work (we use a WIN7 KVM right from there).

Setting up a new linux laptop the last few days with various software to use as my new primary work laptop. All has been well logging in the last few days but yesterday I also imported a whole bunch of files from my old laptop using a migration tool (but never replaced any existing files). Anyway, at the user profile selection where I would click my full name, I enter the password. This is where after entering the correct password, it goes to a blank screen then [OK] Created slice user-0.slice. (this part doesn't show every time), then 5-10 secs later comes back to only let me choose my profile again. Typically it should load the desktop instead.

There is also a "Not Listed?" button to change my username but after typing in my username/password again, it does the same loop. I know it's accepting the correct password because if I type in a wrong one, it will tell me "Sorry, that didn't work. Please try again."

Now I've just discovered I can type "root" as the username and my same password, it brings me to the default GNOME desktop as if I never set anything up. I can get into user properties of my own username and I see login shell has quite a few entries:

/bin/bash (defaults to this)
/bin/csh
/bin/mksh
/bin/sh
/bin/tcsh
/sbin/nologin
/usr/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/nologin

I created a new "test" user and was able to login to GNOME desktop even though it's pointing to the same /bin/bash login shell. But for my own username, it's still stuck in a loop.

Another reason I want my profile back is that there's a VPN certificate tied to it - I cannot log into VPN using "test" (no permission to that certificate, which is under my username/home directory).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
Rule #1) Do not work as root unless you have to and know what you are doing.

There is clearly something else wrong with your user profile. Login shell isn't all _that_ important for this, as long as it's not set to nologin. My bet is you have some program set to auto-launch that's hanging or logging you out. Somebody might have even done it as a prank.

The easy/quick way would be to keep using that "test" user you created, but use your root access to copy your VPN certificate to the new account (use "cp" to copy the file from the old path to the new path, and use the "chown" command to give ownership of the copied file to the new user account.)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
- thanks I was able to use root to open up permissions to the VPN file for other profiles and I can connect under the new profile. I wanted to copy it over but didn't know where I could put it because the VPN settings didn't allow me to specify where to find the new file - it will only look in my old home subdirectory "home\oldprofilename\.cisco".
- migration tool was IBM My Help, though it didn't really help - primary purpose was to get my mail working and it didn't. I guess I don't need my original profile that badly after all... my KVM setup is still there regardless of profile.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I would just reset the GNOME configuration of oldprofilename as that has a good probability of working. (If not, there are still some manual options.)

I know IBM is a huge Linux shop, but with a name like "My Help," no wonder that tool hosed the GUI profile. Well I guess it's still a better name than MS Bob. :D