Linux getting the Windows' BSD

Jul 27, 2020
2024, it's again the Year of the Linux Desktop.
Last time I tried to use it, it was the Clear Linux bootable environment. It took some effort but I was able to run Geekbench 6 on it in 15 minutes. And the fact that it detected the wireless network card automatically was pretty impressive so things have improved a lot. But it was also a Dell laptop so maybe the distro authors are making sure to include drivers for the most popular brands. Still, it gave me hope that there's a future where Windows will become as obscure as Linux and Microsoft will have to get in line with their own distro.

Reactions: balloonshark

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Last time I tried to use it, it was the Clear Linux bootable environment. It took some effort but I was able to run Geekbench 6 on it in 15 minutes. And the fact that it detected the wireless network card automatically was pretty impressive so things have improved a lot. But it was also a Dell laptop so maybe the distro authors are making sure to include drivers for the most popular brands. Still, it gave me hope that there's a future where Windows will become as obscure as Linux and Microsoft will have to get in line with their own distro.
LOL wut, Winblows isn't going anywhere. :p Microsoft already has their own (cloud) distro; it's a variant of Ubuntu.

Believe it or not, I've used a *nix desktop for much of my adult life. Linux full-time since 2017, before that was Mac OS X from around 2005. Before that, I used Linux whenever I could and Windows for gaming. And yeah, Linux on desktop has come a long way and is usable for most folks but Windows or macOS is still a "safer" default for the masses.

If you think about it, the problem for Linux is that it's still not common enough to get pre-installed on new hardware, which makes all the difference. Yeah you can get it if you really want to, but it's just not mainstream like Windows or Macs.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Which distro?
Since 2017, Ubuntu. Should probably wise up and try something else. :tearsofjoy: Back in the day, I mainly used SuSE although I haven't even booted up that ancient desktop PC in at least a decade. I assume it still boots. 🙏

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Since 2017, Ubuntu. Should probably wise up and try something else. :tearsofjoy: Back in the day, I mainly used SuSE although I haven't even booted up that ancient desktop PC in at least a decade. I assume it still boots. 🙏
Probably just needs a new CMOS battery.

Macher

Jun 22, 2021
Note that after perpetrating systemd upon the land, Lennart Poettering now works for Microsoft directly.

"If the answer is systemd, I want my problems back."

Jul 27, 2020
Should probably wise up and try something else. :tearsofjoy:
Maybe Gentoo as it will compile software specifically for your CPU and you get the best performance/optimizations. Or for ease of use, Linux Mint. If you desire for something adventurous and bleeding edge, Clear Linux.