Linux Flashable 802.11A/B/G router

monk3yboy

Sep 14, 2005
Does one exist? It's a pain and a half finding a router int he first place that even supports the A draft. Both my new laptop and 360 networking adapter support it and I thought I would give it a try as my current WRT54G v5 has started giving me problems (drops the wireless too often). I've been interested in flashing a router to an open software and figure why not with this one. I know Linksys has an A/B/G router but had no idea if it was flashable and the reviews for it's standard software don't look nice. My only other idea was to get the the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and flash it (no A but at least more stable and better signal). Any ideas guys?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
the buffalos are popular for flashing, thats for sure, ive flashed 3 myself

but you can do the same thing with that linksys you have and iirc some people have noticed improved stability with it us DD-WRT firmware, so since youve got it, its worth giving it a shot before you spend cash on something else

dd-wrt homepage
dd-wrt homepage for installation, howtos, etc

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I just flashed my buffalo WHR-HP-G54, pretty easy and i love the dd-wrt interface, i was having problems with my linkys vonage adapter sounding terrible with the default buffalo firmware, now it sounds great.

monk3yboy

Sep 14, 2005
xSauronx:
The v.5 is problematic with DD-WRT, apparently this was the model where they took away a lot of the memory making a flash a PITA. Plus I am looking for either better signal aka the HP buffalo or 802.11a spec.
DarkManX:
Any difference in signal strength or speed after the flash? The main reason i want to upgrade besides stability is to be able to stream to my 360 via the wireless adapter.
Madwand1:
Awesome links there! that supported devices list was exactly what I was looking for!

Just found that Buffalo AG108 for 49.99 at BB for Business. Think it's worth it guys? Most of the other places have it way higher (90+). Eh screw it, if anything it'll be fun to mess around with.

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
signal I dont know... im relatively close to the router so it hasnt been an issue, and i havent done any speed tests, i always just grab a cat5 cable when im about to transfer alot of data to my laptop.