Linux desktop browser build for a friend, which distro?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That's it. I am a Debian guy for servers, but the desktop environment is not my cup of coffee. I fell out of MS into doing 95% of my casual computing on a chromebook.
I have some decent enough hardware laying around. He will do no more than surf and wants something lightweight so it sails along nicely on modest hardware.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
two votes for Mint.
I will build and tweak this as needed, and then not see it again for 6 months at a time. Will he, a non linux guy, be able to keep it updated?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

You can install TeamViewer after the Linux distro is done, in case you are willing to assist him remotely occasionally.

You will need a TeamViewer account to help others. The one getting assistance doesn't. He just have to give you his TeamViewer ID and password which will change for every new connection.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
two votes for Mint.
I will build and tweak this as needed, and then not see it again for 6 months at a time. Will he, a non linux guy, be able to keep it updated?
Yes, unless non-standard packages are installed, in which case the automatic updater will occasionally break something. But if it's just a browsing machine it should be no problem.

Reactions: skyking

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Mint Cinnamon was the easiest to adjust to, coming from windows, of the 8 or so distros I tried. I went with Kubuntu because I wanted KDE. So, yes, another vote for Mint - I was really on the fence over the two.

Reactions: skyking

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I use Mint myself, I find it's probably one of the more polished desktop OSes. Everything pretty much just works and it's a popular enough distro that you should find stuff if you do run into issues.

Reactions: crashtech and Ajay