Linksys WRT54GL $37.25 AR GCO SHIPPED Buy.com

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I still have yet to find a linksys router that doesnt crap the bed when it has more than 3 computers on the network.

They tend to need a lot of resetting to work properly for my home networks.

That being said, they work great as long as you dont have more than 3 PCs.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You must be using defective routers because the WRT54G and WRT54GL are the wifi routers that I use for a large portion of my small business customers with 5+ pc's.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Acanthus
I still have yet to find a linksys router that doesnt crap the bed when it has more than 3 computers on the network.

They tend to need a lot of resetting to work properly for my home networks.

That being said, they work great as long as you dont have more than 3 PCs.

Also the WRT54GL is a different model compared to the new version 5+6 models that are out there. You can change the firmware to use a 3rd party FW which in turn makes it a very stable router.

Kobb

Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
I was told with the L you can flash that linux firmware on it.

This is correct. Very good price! :thumbsup:

hansmuff

Aug 20, 2000
My GL 1.1 is a really reliable router. 3 wired clients, 2 wireless. I do run dd-wrt firmware on it though so I have WPA-2. Uptimes > 100 days are normal, and I only reset for configuration changes or during bad storms etc.
It's been a very solid router. This is an awesome deal.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Im glad you guys dont have any issues.

Like having to reset the router in order to not get a blank configuration window in opera, firefox, and IE7.

Or PCs randomly losing their IPs.

Or the router randomly losing its IP.

Because those are the primary problems i have with more than a couple PCs on the network.

Do any of you happen to have links to the 3rd party firmware sites? Id love to get rid of the stability problems on this thing.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

Like having to reset the router in order to not get a blank configuration window in opera, firefox, and IE7.

Because those are the primary problems i have with more than a couple PCs on the network.

Do any of you happen to have links to the 3rd party firmware sites? Id love to get rid of the stability problems on this thing.

I can almost guarantee you that you're using the regular WRT54G version5/6. This hot deal is for the WRT54GL version, which is not even in the same leage as far as the two go.

hansmuff

Aug 20, 2000
The GL is different from the G in that the newer (v4+, I believe) G models aren't easy to flash with 3rd party firmware, if at all.
The GL does re-introduce that ability.

It's all about 3rd party firmware. If you want to stick with what Linksys gives you, I suppose the benefit is small if not zero.
That said, the 3rd party firmwares really add significant enhancements and stability, at least DD-WRT does for me.

Some of the Buffalo routers also are easy to flash with 3rd party firmware; they use a similar architecture as the GL.
Can't speak to those much though. The wikipedia link above is a great read and should answer all questions better than
my tiny posting here.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea i used to have issues then i switched to ddwrt:) its sweet now. haven't reset in a while now. and before that i didn't trust it yet so i had it set to auto reset at night. i turned that off and its still fine now:)

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
yup. awesome with DD-WRT firmware
i can Bittorrent, download from newsgroup, xbox live, and do a whole bunch of other stuff without a single problem

Rocksaurus

Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: WraithETC
Got it at bestbuy during black friday for $8.... great router wired or wireless so far.

I have been put to hot deal shame. Wish I woulda seen that deal then... Don't know how I missed it because I've been looking at this router for awhile.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

I can almost guarantee you that you're using the regular WRT54G version5/6. This hot deal is for the WRT54GL version, which is not even in the same leage as far as the two go.

Its actually 3 different routers spanning about 5 years, although admittedly not this particular model. Thanks for the link, ill do a little research and flash when/if i can.

Univac

Aug 6, 2000
Does anyone know the speed of the link between the ?WAN? and ?LAN? parts of this router??

I went from a 5Mbs cable connection to a 8Mbs and my current router isn?t handling it too well.

In the next few months it is going to go too a 10Mbs connection, and I want to make sure the router I get
Will be able to pass that ok.

I checked the Wiki , and I also checked a data sheet at linksys and couldn?t find it.

I looked at the Reviews at newegg and someone said it was good till 9Mbs?but I don?t put much faith in those reviews.. :p

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Univac
Does anyone know the speed of the link between the ?WAN? and ?LAN? parts of this router??

I went from a 5Mbs cable connection to a 8Mbs and my current router isn?t handling it too well.

In the next few months it is going to go too a 10Mbs connection, and I want to make sure the router I get
Will be able to pass that ok.

I checked the Wiki , and I also checked a data sheet at linksys and couldn?t find it.

I looked at the Reviews at newegg and someone said it was good till 9Mbs?but I don?t put much faith in those reviews.. :p

IIRC, if you flash the firmware to a 3rd party the transfer rates increase. Don't hold me on that though you may want to check out www.linksys-info.com. They have a forum dedicated to this router and could help you out.

Univac

Aug 6, 2000
Thanks For the link. But they seem to be Changing their ISP right now .. lol

But I have been doing some more searching,

And it seems to be good up to 20+ mpbs with the DD_WRT v23 SP2 software.

In For One!

Thank You!! :D

Crap! I forgot to select the budget shipping and they hit me for $6.76 to send it.

So A word of warning, make sure to CHANGE the shipping from it's default, "standard shipping " to "Budget Shipping"

Not a deal killer to me, but I sent them an email to try to get it back...

Delbert

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Its www.linksysinfo.org, not dot com that you want.

edit:
Doh. linksysinfo.org is moving hosts but still working at the moment. linksysinfo.com looks like a redirect for the .org site but says they are down during the move to a new ISP

Delbert

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Raise your hand if you sometimes find yourself checking the serials on the linksys boxes whenever you go to a retailer that sells them.

<--