Linksys rant.... why cant they freaking write drivers...

Oct 9, 1999
My brother is leaving for europe next week (friday morning flight) for vacation and he is taking his linux laptop (Sony 505TR) on the trip. He wants to take the network card and wifi card.. and since we have 2 of the network cards (Netgear FA411) he has one of those but he wanted to take the wifi card, something I use so we went fry's to pick up another wifi card. I have the Netgear MA401, and we picked up a linksys card..something called WPC11 ver.3.0

After 3 versions or more they still havent got it right.. its not the card damn it.. its the freaking drivers...

I couldnt get it to install in W2K and forget linux it wouldnt install there too.

I now have to go back and stand in line and return it and get a Netgear MA401 wifi card (we already have this one and share it - works great). its 20 bucks more expensive but its worth it..

For his europe trip he is taking the linux running Sony 505TR laptop (ultra light 3.0 pounds compared to my 7+ pound dell), the digital camera, the recharger for the rechargable batteries, batteries (normal and rechargable), normal backup camera and the sandisk smart card reader..

He is litterially travelling light!

Utterman

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2001
So does Linksys or Netgear provide Linux drivers or do you have to use some 3rd party drivers made for linux?

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Oh you must be mistaken, according to some people I know Linksys makes the absolute BEST networking hardware....(sharight)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Balthazar
Oh you must be mistaken, according to some people I know Linksys makes the absolute BEST networking hardware....(sharight)

That's why it's the cheapest, right?

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Utterman
So does Linksys or Netgear provide Linux drivers or do you have to use some 3rd party drivers made for linux?

for my wifi card netgear MA401 it autodetected.. no problems..

but the linksys it wont (even with teh linux and windoze drivers provided at the site)

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I've got this card. Works great in windows. Linux is a different story though. It works in that, but won't work with WEP enabled. Oh well...I'm just not using linux on the laptop anymore.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Intel and 3Com only 2 brands I'll ever get in networking ;)

I agree Linksys is terrable about support