Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router V.S. Netgear RT314 DSL Router COMMENTS? ANYTHING?

RiceDiGiZ

Feb 23, 2001
What is better? I heard with the Netgear i can have only 25 ips.

Please leave your opinions or even FACTS. Thanks

PS - I tried to do a search but didn't find this issue.. :)

Xanathar

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Ease of use and support - Linksys (but configurable options growing monthly)

Features and configureability - Netgear

shiznut123

Banned
Dec 22, 2000
Get the Netgear. It is more stable than the Linksys one. I have the Linksys BEFSR41 and it sucks. After going to a heavy traffic website and then I press the Stop button, the internet stops working and I have to reboot.

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I love my Netgear RT314 hands down! It supports up to 253 clients at a time. I have Lan Partys all the time. I use my Netgear RT314 for the first 3 computers then use a crossover cable on port 4 to a 16 port hub. I had 8 people playing Tribes last weekened. :)

RT314

RiceDiGiZ

Feb 23, 2001
but i heard i can only have 25 different ips on the netgear one.. correct me if im wrong

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
RiceDiGiZ I doint know if I follow you. Netgears website says it can support up to 253 clients. If so each client im thinking, thats users would have to have there own IP address, correct? So if it supports 253 users that 253 IP address. BTW how many IP's can the BEFSR41 router hold? I though both were about the same at alittle over 200.

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You might want to PM jmcoreymv. He knows alot about Netgear Routers. He has helped me with mine when needed. I bet he would know.

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well I'll be damn! I learned something new today. Sorry I couldnt of been any help then! :(

Good Luck! :D

RanDum72

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
For stability, reliability and speed, the Netgear wins hands down. But its more expensive.

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the Netgear router can only configure 32 DHCP clients, but can have a total of 253 clients. For the additional 221 clients you have to configure their TCP/IP properties manually.

RanDum72

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
The Linksys has more features implemented in its firmware and has an easier Web interface. But I went thru two of these routers and they are probably the buggiest routers I have ever encountered. Sure, some get lucky but its more like a 50/50 chance that you get a buggy one and not even firmware updates can fix it. Check practicallynetworked.com, they have feedback from a lot of Linksys owners. Compare what kind of complaints Linksys gets vs. Netgear. The Netgear has a more challenging interface (Telnet) but the latest firmware seems to have placed more options under the web interface. But you have to telnet to get to the more advanced options( no problem under Win98/ME). The Netgear will more likely work right out of the box for most applications like IRC, Napster etc. Its made of metal vs plastic for the Linksys and has a 5 year warranty vs 1 year for the Linksys. Another option to consider is the SMC barricade which is just as stable as the Netgear but not as fast (it has more features like a print server and com port for a back-up modem). Netgear vs. Linksys? I would go with Netgear. Price difference is about $20.

PassatVR6

Feb 14, 2001
I have the Linksys 4 port, and I like it alot. It was extremely easy to setup and the performance has been great for me.
I have ATT@Home cable modem, and I use this router to split it up. Last week I had 4 friends come over and plug into the Router and we all played Counterstrike online with out any probs.
The damn thing looks pretty cool too ;)

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
This subject seems to come up fairly often. Most of the people answer this question either have only used one of the two, or received a bad version of one and switched to the other. To really answer the question well, you need to have used both for a while.

I haven't. Although I have the BEFSR41 and two friends have the Netgear 314, so I am familiar with both. I am quite happy with my BEFSR41 and my friends are satisfied with their RT314. My advice is to buy whichever one is cheaper.

But I would also look at the SMC Barricade which comes with a whole bunch of interesting features (on the fly port opening and print serving) and is in the same price range approx.

RanDum72

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
The SMC barricade looks kinda boxy, but it comes with a lifetime warranty. That shows willingness to stand behind their products. I just got a D-link DI-704 from a friend for $40 and judging from the looks of its configuration screen (and options), it is the same as the SMC but without the printserver. The thing I like about this router is that it is so small( about 3/4 of an inch thick) but includes a 4-port switch and a COM port for attaching a back-up modem. Its also has a metal case and has a lifetime warranty. Its been very well-behaved so far, no unusual behavior. Its also fast but probably not as fast as the Netgear RT314. I have seen the D-link for around $89, even less so its also a great value.