Linksys adapter not working on my Gateway XP media center...

ctf20

May 19, 2005
I am setting up a new computer in our house. The new computer is a Gateway with XP Media Center Edition. I have the network all set up on our other computers and it all works fine...we have two other computers and two laptops working on the network. I took a linksys adapter from one of the working computers and put it on the new gateway computer. i installed the disc and plugged in the adapter. it says it can't see an access point???

Can someone PLEASE help me. i put in the right SSID.

i tried uninstalling the linksys drivers...and turned on the windows wireless zero config. but it still didn't work. is that suppose to be on or off?? i think it was already on. is it suppose to be off if i install the things from the linksys disc?

i am stumped!! all i had to do with the other computers is install the disc, and plug in the adapter.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

ctf20

May 19, 2005
does it matter if you install the drivers before plugging it in or after plugging it in...because i've seen instructions for both...

ctf20

May 19, 2005
well i installed first because that is what it said to do on the cd.....then i plugged in the adapter

if i install the software that came with the adapter should the Windows Zero Configuration be disabled?

could the fact that it a media center edition be causing the problem somehow...thought i read something about that somewhere..

ctf20

May 19, 2005
it has to be the drivers...they just aren't working on this XP Media Center Edition machine...anyone ever heard of this problem? i spent an hour talking to the linksys people only for them to come to the conclusion that its a computer problem. can anyone point me in the right direction??

desperate here!
just getting a ? in the device manager under other devices - usb device

ctf20

May 19, 2005
can anyone help? i even tried to buy a new linksys adapter (wusb54gsc) and it doesn't work either...the drivers just will not work. should i try the vista drivers? it's not vista...its xp media center edition.

PLEASE!! begging here :)

ctf20

May 19, 2005
even if the usb works for other things, like a jump drive?...should i maybe take the linksys adapter back, and get the linksys pci card?

i have seen other people with problems with the adapter and media center edition. i'm surprised windows or linksys hasn't released drivers to fix it...but i can't find them.

ctf20

May 19, 2005
ok, i went and bought a new adapter. it wouldn't work either, just said unknown device in the USB portion of the device manager, didn't have a ?..just said unknown device.

i installed the drivers from the cd - then plugged it in. didnt' work. so i turned off the linksys monitor and turned on wireless zero config. - didn't work. i just kept doing the same thing uninstalling, installing trying the same thing over and over - and for some reason all of a sudden - IT WORKED. i don't know why! while it was working i had the linksys monitor disabled (installed from the cd, but disabled it), and the wireless zero config enabled - i got my wireless icon and it connected!!!

still, i didn't like NOT knowing what the problem was. because if it stopped working i wouldn't know what to do. Well, i had to move the computer into the bedroom, and when i turned it all back on, it's NOT working again!! and i can't get it to!!!! driving me crazy! i have the same settings as before - linksys monitor OFF, Wireless Zero enabled. will not work!!! says unknown device, when i plug it in it says, does not recognize the usb device. ?????

any suggestions, please?!!